Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 05:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

Trans, I think you are confusing theism with Christianity in the case of Lewis. Theism is a little more normal for people to have, but Christianity is more divisive. The war brings fears of an Enemy residing in your own homeland.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:43 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Trans, I think you are confusing theism with Christianity in the case of Lewis. Theism is a little more normal for people to have, but Christianity is more divisive. The war brings fears of an Enemy residing in your own homeland.
That's a problem for Theists, not for me. The basic question is
(a) Is there a god
(b) if there is, is it the god of a particular religion
(c) if it is the Abrahamic god, which Abrahamic religion, and which sect, and does it matter?

Those b and c questions are for the Theists. (a) is the only question that concerns me. Arguing about which religion or sect are incidentals. Like arguing about evolution. There could still be a god, even if all of those denominational choices are wrong and even if evolution is correct.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:21 PM

Well, the book is Mere Christianity. The purpose is to convince people of Christianity. Personally, I think the books is kind of weird. It might have made more sense to read it back when it came out, living in the same kind of times he was living in.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Well, the book is Mere Christianity. The purpose is to convince people of Christianity. Personally, I think the books is kind of weird. It might have made more sense to read it back when it came out, living in the same kind of times he was living in.
I read just his novels and fun -stuff. I reasoned that, if his propaganda had any good arguments, the religious apologists would have slung them at me by now. The only one that we seem to get is the "Lord, Liar or Lunatic" argument, which exists now as a classic logical fallacy. If that's the best he can do, we ain't missing much.

P.s I thought I'd have a quick look at Opinions of the Narnia films. I liked the first one (it was Peter Jackson who directed it, wasn't it?) and the Christian message was no more overt and eyeball -rolling than in the books. But I came across a review that points up some rather ....unlikeable, I'll use that word...aspects of the Narnia films.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...enandteenagers

The message is clear. The Books contained a large amount of religious propaganda. And now the well - funded Christian propaganda organisation (and can I help but wonder whether they are scared witless by their rapidly - dwindling church -attendance?) are throwing everything they have behind trying to indoctrinate people into religion through blockbuster films. or so they hope.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-08-2018 at 04:23 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I read just his novels and fun -stuff. I reasoned that, if his propaganda had any good arguments, the religious apologists would have slung them at me by now. The only one that we seem to get is the "Lord, Liar or Lunatic" argument, which exists now as a classic logical fallacy. If that's the best he can do, we ain't missing much.

P.s I thought I'd have a quick look at Opinions of the Narnia films. I liked the first one (it was Peter Jackson who directed it, wasn't it?) and the Christian message was no more overt and eyeball -rolling than in the books. But I came across a review that points up some rather ....unlikeable, I'll use that word...aspects of the Narnia films.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...enandteenagers

The message is clear. The Books contained a large amount of religious propaganda. And now the well - funded Christian propaganda organisation (and can I help but wonder whether they are scared witless by their rapidly - dwindling church -attendance?) are throwing everything they have behind trying to indoctrinate people into religion through blockbuster films. or so they hope.
I'll take him at his word when he says it's not religious in theme, any more than perhaps Tolkien. Both writers are popular in the Jesus world. But I really think he was familiar with many different myths and some of them had similarities to Christianity, and even preceded them. He thought the ancient myths were inspired by God. (Some actually think they were inspired by Satan.) But since he sometimes seems to be a potential Universalist, I really don't mind any religious themes in his fictional books. But some religious filmmakers could be more aggressively evangelical today, unlike Lewis.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:45 AM

The Christian metaphor was only overt in the first book where Aslan being dragged (with martyred expression) to death by the goblins couldn't have been clearer. On the other hand, the Perelandra series could be read as Sci Fi (even the Atheist professor on Mars (Malacandra) wasn't obviously an attack on atheism) but the Adam and Eve analogy - in fact rerun - on Venus (Perelandra - with the atheist professor as the legged snake) was pretty overt. The Third book - 'That hideous strength' - was a rather odd mix of Second Coming and Arthurian legend that made one think uncomfortably of the Nazi obsession with the grail and spear.

Yes, the Christian message is clear enough, and let's face it, The Christian lobby wouldn't be flinging millions at this effort if it wasn't.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:18 PM

I've gotten about a third of the way through Mere Christianity. It's not a very good book. I just finished a chapter where I think I have a major disagreement. He says that some people are immoral. Whereas I believe people are MADE that way by society, and I think the Bible supports that.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I've gotten about a third of the way through Mere Christianity. It's not a very good book. I just finished a chapter where I think I have a major disagreement. He says that some people are immoral. Whereas I believe people are MADE that way by society, and I think the Bible supports that.
I should be interested if you started a review thread here or A/A to consider his arguments and how sound they are.

With the one above, I'm inclined to agree with you both. I believe in a mix of nature and nurture. I think that we are as mischievous as monkeys. By nature. Nurture teaches us responsibilities to the social mix. I sometimes think that it doesn't do a very good job. But...we do tend to note the bad eggs and think that it's all going to crap. But I just watched a short vid on the London underground (admittedly about haunted stations..but also talking about the work at night). And I think of the thousands upon thousands of good people who work to make this the best life ever. We are much better people than we know, sometimes.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I should be interested if you started a review thread here or A/A to consider his arguments and how sound they are.

With the one above, I'm inclined to agree with you both. I believe in a mix of nature and nurture. I think that we are as mischievous as monkeys. By nature. Nurture teaches us responsibilities to the social mix. I sometimes think that it doesn't do a very good job. But...we do tend to note the bad eggs and think that it's all going to crap. But I just watched a short vid on the London underground (admittedly about haunted stations..but also talking about the work at night). And I think of the thousands upon thousands of good people who work to make this the best life ever. We are much better people than we know, sometimes.
Yes. That's the biggest issue I have with religious people. Why are they not able to see that.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Yes. That's the biggest issue I have with religious people. Why are they not able to see that.
Well, I'm no Ferenghi (except in Thailand) but I thinks it's one of the Laws of commerce. You can't sell what doesn't yet have a market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality