Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 06:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
It's ok to just say "I don't know." It doesn't have to be imagined and or believed in. If we don't know, then we don't know how the entire universe and everything in it came together. We study what we can, and then accept that we don't know the rest. Why make crap up? The hole doesn't need to be filled. It's not an emergency.
What's really sad is there is a significant proportion of the population which thinks if they can convince themselves to believe in a certain god-thing, it just might give them an eternal life of some sort after death that other people won't get.

It's silly. It's dumb. And most of all, it's not the least bit true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 07:14 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Holy cow, there is a huge difference between trusting the medication industry or the guy next door who claims to have Bigfoot living in his backyard.
Whether you TRUST/PUT FAITH in the medicine industry, or you REJECT the next door guy’s statement having Bigfoot living in his backyard - in both cases, neither do you have an evidence nor do you demand one.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Whether you TRUST/PUT FAITH in the medicine industry, or you REJECT the next door guy’s statement having Bigfoot living in his backyard - in both cases, neither do you have an evidence nor do you demand one.
No, I’m going to want to see proof that Bigfoot lives in the neighbors backyard. Additionally, I don’t need any proof from an industry that has a government watchdog and reliable history. You don’t get to compare your extraordinary belief with that of the pill industry.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:28 PM

22,209 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Holy cow, there is a huge difference between trusting the medication industry as opposed to the guy next door who claims to have Bigfoot living in his backyard.
And if someone can't differentiate between God and Bigfoot then they are not someone I trust to be very.....whats the word I'm looking for......intelligent? perceptive? well-read? discerning?

Old 01-06-2019, 08:09 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
I have high blood pressure, and I am on medication for it.

I can check my blood pressure after a day or two without medication, and it is higher than recommended. I then take my medication, and my blood pressure drops within a day or two.

Several years ago I came down with a case of bacterial pneumonia. Quite painful, and difficult to breathe. My doctor prescribed antibiotics and the symptoms vanished quickly.

I know many diabetics. They have similarly useful results in controlling their insulin levels with medication.

You know that I could continue to go on with this. Anybody can provide similar stories. The correlation between taking the medication and the change in symptoms is astronomical. I also know a few biochemists who can tell me how all of this works, and can replicate many of these medicines in the lab. The work is available for public consumption. The fact that you have not chased it down does not mean that it isn't there.

On the other hand, I see no such backup for my neighbor's pet Bigfoot or your God.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:31 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
What is evidentialism?
This would be the stance that one should only hold beliefs backed by evidence (usually empirical/physical evidence). And it's dead, though random people on the internet often try to resurrect it

Old 01-06-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
It's ok to just say "I don't know." It doesn't have to be imagined and or believed in. If we don't know, then we don't know how the entire universe and everything in it came together. We study what we can, and then accept that we don't know the rest. Why make crap up? The hole doesn't need to be filled. It's not an emergency.
Na my young friend - not so quick.
I have already answered to the notion of, “I don’t know”

Read below, slowly and read carefully - read a couple of times if that helps but do not move to the next sentences if you don’t understand the previous and then connect the dots.

Quote:

Taking the resort under the shelter of "I don't know" - Aren't we doing it a little too early?

And mind you, there is nothing wrong with it. I have done it many times. If I don’t know then I don’t know. Nothing wrong in admitting it.

*But* you may actually know a couple of things before you throw in the white towel of "I don't know".

So lets dive into it.

Scientifically, logically, and philosophically thinking: If we start the process of reverse engineering and take the route of going back and start finding out and say that,

"OK, this thing came before this thing, and this came before that, and this thing came before that, and this came before that... and we keep on going, and going and going gazzillion of years past the Big Bang .... then we may probably see two scenarios.

1 - We get into an infinite loop. We keep on going trillion and gazillion upon gazillion years of reverse engineering but it will never end because we are locked into an infinity.

2 - The second and more interesting possibility is that, say we actually DO FIND what started it all. Say we call it X.
In our process of reverse engineering, we reached to a point where there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!
And we see that X came first.

Now the question is: Who created X?

If X was created by something else then X is not the start and hence X did not come first. Which is not true because we know that X came first and there is nothing beyond X.

The other option is, X created itself.
This is ridiculous. You cannot decide to create your own self when you don't exist.

So the only logical answer is, whatever came first, whatever started it all (X, in this case), did not actually come. It was always there. It has no start. Nobody created it. It was always there.

And finally, since we agree that "We don't know" - then I suggest you should stick with it when you are asked if God exists or not?

Since you don't know, you can't deny it

Old 01-06-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I have high blood pressure, and I am on medication for it.

I can check my blood pressure after a day or two without medication, and it is higher than recommended. I then take my medication, and my blood pressure drops within a day or two.

Several years ago I came down with a case of bacterial pneumonia. Quite painful, and difficult to breathe. My doctor prescribed antibiotics and the symptoms vanished quickly.

I know many diabetics. They have similarly useful results in controlling their insulin levels with medication.

You know that I could continue to go on with this. Anybody can provide similar stories. The correlation between taking the medication and the change in symptoms is astronomical. I also know a few biochemists who can tell me how all of this works, and can replicate many of these medicines in the lab. The work is available for public consumption. The fact that you have not chased it down does not mean that it isn't there.

On the other hand, I see no such backup for my neighbor's pet Bigfoot or your God.
Na, na, na my friend.
We are talking about THE VERY FIRST TIME when you popped that pill in you mouth. You put confidence and faith in someone else’s word and work. You personally did not experience or had any evidence whether it will work for you or not.

And in a way, you are still using some degree of faith every time you take that pill. What scientific evidence do you have that the pill is not a counterfeit, how do you know it’s not poisonous *BEFORE* you take it every day? Do you take it every time to a lab and test it? No, you don’t. You simply put confidence and faith in the pharmacy.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:56 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Na, na, na my friend.
We are talking about THE VERY FIRST TIME when you popped that pill in you mouth. You put confidence and faith in someone else’s word and work. You personally did not experience or had any evidence whether it will work for you or not.

And in a way, you are still using some degree of faith every time you take that pill. What scientific evidence do you have that the pill is not a counterfeit, how do you know it’s not poisonous *BEFORE* you take it every day? Do you take it every time to a lab and test it? No, you don’t. You simply put confidence and faith in the pharmacy.
Still totally ignoring considered odds and confusing it with faith.
I'm out of this one since my head doesn't like beating against brick walls.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:27 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Na, na, na my friend.
Fine. When I was 4 and my mother gave me something for my upset stomach I took it on faith. It worked. Over the next 14 years various medicines continued to work for a variety of things, and I made my own medical decisions after that time. In the next 30+ years medical science has continued to work.

On the other hand, I believed in god as a 4 year old for the same reason, because my mother told me to do so. Over the next 14 years I continued to believe, even though I started to see many reasons why the god explanation was insufficient and unsupported, and I made my own decision based upon the lack of convincing evidence and existence of contradictory evidence that there was likely no god. In the 30+ years from that time my opinion has been continually reinforced for those same reasons.

Quote:
Sure, I have to believe that there is not another Tylenol killer out there. However, we don't seem to have had a instance of medication tampering since the 1980s because of strict standards that were enacted at the time. I also understand quality control measures and regulatory controls that exist.

You don't have any of that for your god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality