Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 10:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Well , so far , a ton of stuff. How to cure diseases that prayer never could, how the basics of the universe works, how we evolved ( creationism fails the genetics test miserably) , how to visit other worlds , how volcanos are not wrathful gods wanting sacrifices , how dinosaurs really existed and aren't fake fossils planted by Satan to fool the faithful, how to punch buttons on a plastic machine and have your words come out on other people's plastic machines on the other side of the world , and so on.

We have found quite a bit, actually
Good one.

Too soon to rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 07:28 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Well , so far , a ton of stuff. How to cure diseases that prayer never could, how the basics of the universe works, how we evolved ( creationism fails the genetics test miserably) , how to visit other worlds , how volcanos are not wrathful gods wanting sacrifices , how dinosaurs really existed and aren't fake fossils planted by Satan to fool the faithful, how to punch buttons on a plastic machine and have your words come out on other people's plastic machines on the other side of the world , and so on.

We have found quite a bit, actually
Is that all what knowledge means? Are we done?
How much do we know about our self? Is there one and what is it? What is it made of? What exactly is mind? What are dreams? What happens in deep sleep when the mind is dormant, no thoughts, no dreams? Why do we wake up?
You may think well, we have come so far, and we will find those answers as well. That is faith.
But there is no cost benefit to figuring these things out, unless it can somehow be packaged and marketed. And THAT is actually happening. And we will buy it. That is the tragedy.

Old 02-13-2021, 11:04 AM

1,799 posts, read 562,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Is that all what knowledge means? Are we done?
How much do we know about our self? Is there one and what is it? What is it made of? What exactly is mind? What are dreams? What happens in deep sleep when the mind is dormant, no thoughts, no dreams? Why do we wake up?
You may think well, we have come so far, and we will find those answers as well. That is faith.
But there is no cost benefit to figuring these things out, unless it can somehow be packaged and marketed. And THAT is actually happening. And we will buy it. That is the tragedy.

Come now, you must know that I wasn't listing the sum of knowledge with a few examples. As to the rest, science has made great strides on that side also. I am sure you know about all the contributions of science to the psychological realm, so I'm not sure what your point is. Can you elaborate better ? As it stands, you almost appear to be anti science because of some sort of grudge against science , as if science is somehow in opposition to your spiritual life and existence. I'm sure this isn't really the case, but you seem to take issue with science just to take issue with it.

Not trying to yank your chain, just trying to understand what your point is.

Old 02-13-2021, 11:48 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Come now, you must know that I wasn't listing the sum of knowledge with a few examples. As to the rest, science has made great strides on that side also. I am sure you know about all the contributions of science to the psychological realm, so I'm not sure what your point is. Can you elaborate better ? As it stands, you almost appear to be anti science because of some sort of grudge against science , as if science is somehow in opposition to your spiritual life and existence. I'm sure this isn't really the case, but you seem to take issue with science just to take issue with it.

You need to read the extensive esoteric literature with its abundant created jargon to understand the mindset CB brings to the issue of spirituality.

Old 02-13-2021, 04:34 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
The same fallacy as 'You need to Understand the Bible before you can doubt that it's a reliable Authority'. It's an easy way to dismiss all doubt and question.

Old 02-13-2021, 04:43 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
The same fallacy "All you need to do is say I lack belief" to have authority to easily dismiss all doubt and question.

Old 02-13-2021, 04:49 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The same fallacy "All you need to do is say I lack belief" to have authority to easily dismiss all doubt and question.
More misrepresentation of the position that (as I have said several times) atheism does have a burden of proof in showing that the 'evidence' put forward for God -claims do not meet the criterion of valid evidence.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:01 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:

Of course I am not anti science, a climate-change denier nut case. No. I see science as a discipline that studies an entirely different branch of knowledge from spirituality and religion, using very different observations and measurements. Sometimes what they study and discover about space aligns with ancient thoughts and theology about the cosmos. Until i came to this forum i did not realize Science with capital S was the Atheists’ deity. Every discussion about religion or belief (as in belief not faith, just to be clear) was opposed with claim for scientific proof as an offering to the Science Deity. And off the thread went in a totally different direction that the atheist wanted to ride. It amounts to trolling in my opinion.
As for psychology, and particularly in psychotherapy, so much of it flows from religion, spirituality, and Eastern thoughts. Sometimes this is recognized and some times not. Philosophy and psychology both have close relations with spirituality, they all study the mind. I am not sure what the contribution from science is in this respect other then completely displacing Western Philosophy. It simply does not fit. Science is utilitarian. Yes, it helps us understand our world, but it has no soul.
So that’s where I am coming from. Thanks for asking.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:01 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
More misrepresentation of the position that (as I have said several times) atheism does have a burden of proof in showing that the 'evidence' put forward for God -claims do not meet the criterion of valid evidence.
Stop dissembling or admit your ignorance that it is a metaphysical question that cannot be resolved by science. Stop pretending that it can be.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:02 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
actually it is not. I represent "lack of belief". For example. I lack belief in some of mystic claims.

Your lack of belief is quite different than my lack belief. You take your "lack of belief" and turn it into the ultimate authority to dismiss anything you want. Much like theist do with the bible.

His claim is that the system around us, you call nature, is responsible for us. That we may very well be in a living system. and he calls it god. Now a lot of the evidence he uses to formulate his belief is valid and has some strength of evidence. And you whip out "I don't believe ya" just like a theist when they say "I don't believe ya" about evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality