Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 07:03 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Good post you're aruing the point as best you can and friend, there is a shortage of that from the Opposition these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Yes I understand your point. However, the point Jesus made is different. For example, Jesus had siblings but none showed up during his execution. However, fellow believers did show up and he could entrust his "mum" to them. The point? When the physical family fails the spiritual family remains.
That won't do. Even though the family wasn't around (according to the gospels) Jesus could ask whoever was around (Arimathea, Nicodemus, Lazarus) to see that his brother James and the the family looked after Mary. That John took her into his own house..let me check..Yes. Jesus gave' his mother to John as family. It makes no sense other than (I suggest) symbolically taking his message and mission from Judaism and handing it over to Gentile Christianity.

Quote:
Only to those who see science and religious faith as competitors. Men of faith have contributed much towards our understanding of the natural world. Obviously, no conflict for them.
There isn't - provided you keep them separate. The discoveries - even by men of Faith - were done as scientists, not as believers. Even if they saw it as part of God's handiwork. The problem comes where science gets fiddled to suit the requirements of faith. Admittedly this is done in a pseudo-science context (Creationism) and the believers who do valid science see that the faith doesn't compromise the science. The problem for them is that it can upset the claims of Faith.
Lemaitre the priest who discovered the expanding universe saw it as evidence of creation, but it turned out to be rather a natural alternative to it. DNA was (perhaps) held up by some scientists even in thefield (or so it is claimed) as evidence for ID. But in the end, it wasn't.

Bittom line - science whether done by believers or not does not support the religious faith -claims - unless fiddled.

Quote:
Ok, we have a reasonable expectation that science correctly explains the physical world but it's reach is limited to just that. Some "theists" like myself trust science to explain the physical world but we don't entrust science with salvation. No conflict between religious faith and science for us because we recognize they answer different questions.
That's more a question of logic. Science is logically correct to not claim to know the unknown. Religion claims to know unknowns with no better evidence than faith. Now Religion indeed has been very happy to keep religious claims separate from science, even though it can't stop itself being refuted on the claims that Can be checked (age of the earth, the date of the nativity, etc) despite its' best efforts to fiddle the evidence. But I think science is not only closing the gaps for God that GodFaith thought were safe (Origins of the universe, life and consciousness) but I think that science will be able to take over those areas that religion thought science could never go, such as morality, human spirituality and Faith itself which (now that evolved instinct is linked to DNA) is better understood in terms of evolutionary biology than any Divine Being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 07:06 AM

332 posts, read 220,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Your logic is non-existent. Try again.
Can't process this?

Old 02-11-2021, 07:13 AM

332 posts, read 220,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Good post you're aruing the point as best you can and friend, there is a shortage of that from the Opposition these days.

That won't do. Even though the family wasn't around (according to the gospels) Jesus could ask whoever was around (Arimathea, Nicodemus, Lazarus) to see that his brother James and the the family looked after Mary. That John took her into his own house..let me check..Yes. Jesus gave' his mother to John as family. It makes no sense other than (I suggest) symbolically taking his message and mission from Judaism and handing it over to Gentile Christianity.

There isn't - provided you keep them separate. The discoveries - even by men of Faith - were done as scientists, not as believers. Even if they saw it as part of God's handiwork. The problem comes where science gets fiddled to suit the requirements of faith. Admittedly this is done in a pseudo-science context (Creationism) and the believers who do valid science see that the faith doesn't compromise the science. The problem for them is that it can upset the claims of Faith.
Lemaitre the priest who discovered the expanding universe saw it as evidence of creation, but it turned out to be rather a natural alternative to it. DNA was (perhaps) held up by some scientists even in thefield (or so it is claimed) as evidence for ID. But in the end, it wasn't.

Bittom line - science whether done by believers or not does not support the religious faith -claims - unless fiddled.

That's more a question of logic. Science is logically correct to not claim to know the unknown. Religion claims to know unknowns with no better evidence than faith. Now Religion indeed has been very happy to keep religious claims separate from science, even though it can't stop itself being refuted on the claims that Can be checked (age of the earth, the date of the nativity, etc) despite its' best efforts to fiddle the evidence. But I think science is not only closing the gaps for God that GodFaith thought were safe (Origins of the universe, life and consciousness) but I think that science will be able to take over those areas that religion thought science could never go, such as morality, human spirituality and Faith itself which (now that evolved instinct is linked to DNA) is better understood in terms of evolutionary biology than any Divine Being.
Science is nothing more than the study of the creation itself, nothing more. Mankind seeks to understand things in his tiny little pea shaped brain. So I ask you what science? The corporate science of corporations or real science? Did you even know that two different science explanations exist.

I choose to study the creator God, Jesus Christ. You can study the creation all you like. Let me know what you find.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:28 AM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithfullizhe View Post
Science is nothing more than the study of the creation itself, nothing more. Mankind seeks to understand things in his tiny little pea shaped brain. So I ask you what science? The corporate science of corporations or real science? Did you even know that two different science explanations exist.

I choose to study the creator God, Jesus Christ. You can study the creation all you like. Let me know what you find.
I assume you are part of creation, so why should we listen to you, with your tiny, little pea shaped brain?

Old 02-11-2021, 07:38 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Can't process this?
Yes, you make assertions as if you know what you are talking about. But your responses are just assertions.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:41 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Why can others find evidence of faith but not you? To you that is subjective experience. The whole of life is a subjective experience. Your missing out on not finding Jesus Christ. If you know Christ you would understand. You do not so you seek to create whatever subjective experience says their is no God. Try to find him before death comes. Death itself is a subjective experience.

You could even say the folks suffering in hell are having a subjective experience.

Your logic is weak, try again.
I found a God, just not the one described in the Christian Bible. This is my subjective truth that MY God is true to me, same as your God is true to you. We both believe on faith, not evidence. When you find some objective truth that your religion is the one true faith let me know.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:37 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
nice one. Juicy -sweet. Let me savour each segment individually.
Quote:
Science is nothing more than the study of the creation itself, nothing more.
Sure. And so far as it shows is the creation of natural forces and procedures, nothing more.

Quote:
Mankind seeks to understand things in his tiny little pea shaped brain.
And they have been able to get to the edge and start of so much of the universe and the tiniest depths of matter/energy. Not bad going for pea -brains, and a damn' sight better than the debunked faith claims of the religious.

Quote:
So I ask you what science? The corporate science of corporations or real science?
Real science, if you mean by that, consensus -agreed, verified and published science rather than some advertising -claim with a lab -coat on, which is only somewhat more valid than ID claims in at least doing Some research.

Quote:
Did you even know that two different science explanations exist.
More than that. Science thrives on questioning and doubting in order to get the best explanation. Religion thrives on insisting it is right and dismissing any doubts and questions. That's why science debunks it so often. Did you know that there are Many religions, but only one science?

Quote:
I'll tell you right now - that there is no valid reason to believe the god -claim, never mind the (Bible) -God claim, and the (Gospel) Jesus even less, even if there was an actual Jesus.

I luv it here.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-11-2021 at 02:48 PM..

Old 02-11-2021, 07:01 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times
Quote:

Good luck to you and your "pea shaped brain".

BTW, when corporate science develops a vaccine or better chemicals or fuels etc., that is real science.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:08 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Good luck to you and your "pea shaped brain".

BTW, when corporate science develops a vaccine or better chemicals or fuels etc., that is real science.
yeah ... and when they starting saying we are in a system better described as alive more than not alive ... that sort-a-god notion means what?

Old 02-12-2021, 10:06 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,429 times
Quote:

Well , so far , a ton of stuff. How to cure diseases that prayer never could, how the basics of the universe works, how we evolved ( creationism fails the genetics test miserably) , how to visit other worlds , how volcanos are not wrathful gods wanting sacrifices , how dinosaurs really existed and aren't fake fossils planted by Satan to fool the faithful, how to punch buttons on a plastic machine and have your words come out on other people's plastic machines on the other side of the world , and so on.

We have found quite a bit, actually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality