Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 09:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

I doubt it (where on earth did you get that graph?) whatever crap hits the fan in due course, it won't send me to Jesus. But I do get another uncomfortable Jolt at recognising that there is an Elephant in the Room:

"We don't WANT to make people's lives better. We want them to be desperate so they will turn to religion."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 09:57 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I doubt it (where on earth did you get that graph?) whatever crap hits the fan in due course, it won't send me to Jesus.
I pay attention. That's why I have that graph.

You don't pay attention. That's why you're an atheist.

You just think you will die before this happens, so it's not your problem. That makes you a coward.

But maybe you don't die. Plan accordingly.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I pay attention. That's why I have that graph.

You don't pay attention. That's why you're an atheist.

You just think you will die before this happens, so it's not your problem. That makes you a coward.

But maybe you don't die. Plan accordingly.
I'd still like to know where you got the graph. You're not telling us you made it up?

Old 01-28-2019, 10:01 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,578 times
Quote:
I'd still like to know where you got the graph. You're not telling us you made it up?
What graph?

Old 01-28-2019, 10:21 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
You might look here: https://ourfiniteworld.com/

Old 01-28-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You might look here: https://ourfiniteworld.com/
Ah, thank you. pity they didn't project the rise of religion in this predicted collapse of society.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:30 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
It'll come down to the Gospels in the end. And what is more, not the gospels as they are but as Matth would like them to be.

You know the sort of thing: Matth 12.48

Someone told Him, “Look, Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to You.” 48 But Jesus replied, “Who is My mother, and who are My brothers?” 49 Pointing to His disciples, He said, “Here are My mother and My brothers.

I point to this as the familiar method of the Cult - the family doesn't matter; the members of the cult are now your family. But the apologist would claim that it means that Jesus is embracing all the world.

Only if they join the club.
That's excellent, too. I never thought about that.

Psychologically, that's the first action in every cult that ever existed.

It's both essential and imperative that the cult leader cut off the members from immediate family and friends.

I don't know if I ever mentioned this (and I can because the statute of limitations has long expired), but I was hired to find a missing woman. I traced her to a religious cult in Virginia. Her parents contracted a de-programmer, a guy from Florida who was well-known, and we assembled a team and "extracted" her one night.

The same tactics and techniques the cult leader used to isolate her from family and friends were used by the de-programmer to isolate her from the cult and reintegrate her back into her family.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

It's both essential and imperative that the cult leader cut off the members from immediate family and friends.

I don't know if I ever mentioned this (and I can because the statute of limitations has long expired), but I was hired to find a missing woman. I traced her to a religious cult in Virginia. Her parents contracted a de-programmer, a guy from Florida who was well-known, and we assembled a team and "extracted" her one night.

The same tactics and techniques the cult leader used to isolate her from family and friends were used by the de-programmer to isolate her from the cult and reintegrate her back into her family.
Indeed. And while Jehovah's Witnesses use this method very markedly, there is plenty of evidence of the same thinking in Christianity in the stricter forms. There are any number of examples (on the board and off it) of people who have trouble because they are questioning the Authority - of which the family has been co -opted as catspaw. There is the thinking that you are either In or Out.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:42 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

thats a good point ... the best psychological tools can used for the most wicked intentions.

Its why i always focus on intention and not statement of belief about god.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:17 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,406,647 times
Exactly, if religion were TRUE it would not require FAITH.

As Sam Harris would say : “It is time that we admitted that faith is nothing more than the license religious people give one another to keep believing when reasons fail.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality