Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
And what superior way do you suggest to determine the meaning and definition of words & terms than dictionaries?
Are they not typically the expert source to provide such information?
I thought I was pretty clear. They are written for a general audience, and as a result they are too broad to support a serious discussion. Read almost any scholarly article, and they will spend some time explaining the specific definition they are using for the purposes of that article, specifically because there are too many definitions in the dictionary for clarity.

The experts you reference write definitions to support multiple usages, even though in conversation only one use among the many available is intended.

Your pantheistic definition does have internal consistency. I admit that. I contend that it is also completely useless, because you are using a definition for god that is in the minority and not intended by most people.

Getting back to faith, unless we are discussing the same definition, christians do exactly what you do. They argue for an absurd definition of faith, one that describes the word in a way that they do not intend when discussing their deity. When somebody inevitably agrees that their fringe definition is true in some cases, they then say: aha, therefore god. This despite the fact that the fringe definition does not support god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 07:10 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
And what superior way do you suggest to determine the meaning and definition of words & terms than dictionaries?
Are they not typically the expert source to provide such information?
The mass of humanity does not consult a dictionary before talking or writing.

So a dictionary is a tool, and nothing more.

I just had a great discussion today with a foreigner. As usual he slaughtered the English language. And yet I understood every sentence and we had a great conversation for almost twenty minutes.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:18 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I look forward to the time when you move on from Buddhism, as I did, closer to true enlightenment as Jesus, the Maitreya who Buddha expected, achieved for us all.
I think it's repulsive when christians STEAL other religions.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
I look forward to the time when you move on from Buddhism, as I did, closer to true enlightenment as Jesus, the Maitreya who Buddha expected, achieved for us all.
What did you know or practice of Buddhism, and for how long?

I didn't care for either and I've already moved on from Siddhartha Gautama and Joshua Benjoseph long ago.

May Enlightenment continue to grow and succeed in these dark ages full of entrapping delusions

When will the pitiful groupies who have sold themselves short cease waiting for nothing and start moving on to finding their own integrity?

Sometime soon, I dearly hope.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I dislike trying to discuss things based upon dictionary definitions. Dictionaries are general reference texts, designed to provide as broad a series of definitions as possible. In addition to that, there are numerous dictionaries out there, which allows people to shop a variety of definitions until they find the one that suits their specific purpose. GoldenRule and Tzap both do this, with some absurd results. The conversation usually devolves to bickering about semantic differences, and never seems to address the real topic.

As I see it, the word faith as used by theists is basically a belief without supporting evidence. They then try to confuse the issue by speaking of faith, but using analogies where we do have supporting evidence. They hope nobody will notice the shift, and use that sophistry to declare victory.

It is a hollow victory though, because they must know they are referring to different things with one word.
Exactly.

Too soon to rep.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:49 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

As I see it, the word faith as used by theists is basically a belief without supporting evidence. They then try to confuse the issue by speaking of faith, but using analogies where we do have supporting evidence.
You do have the evidence ? That’s a nice little claim right there!

Now before I call it a hogwash, let’s cut the crap, and go straight into the heart of it.

Please take the stage and present your EVIDENCE that there is no afterlife, and there is no God.

Be precise, short and sweet. No hanky panky. Just present the evidence.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:39 AM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think it's repulsive when Christians STEAL other religions.
Your anger and revulsion for the corrupt "precepts and doctrines of men" that you thought was Christianity is no excuse to remain unenlightened. Do you still meditate and seek the truth? Be diligent and it will come to you as it did to me.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:41 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Your anger and revulsion for the corrupt "precepts and doctrines of men" that you thought was Christianity is no excuse to remain unenlightened. Do you still meditate and seek the truth? Be diligent and it will come to you as it did to me.
Meditate on the opposite and you will find the opposite; seek anything, and your mind can pretend to find it for you.

Meditate on nothing (not yet knowing the truth) and you will find what your subconscious-body (so easily prone to comfort) wishes you to find. Seek nothing (with no desire) and your mind can pretend to find what your subconscious-body (so easily prone to delusion) feels comfortable thinking is a good answer.

Following fast, and following faster, to some unmerciful disaster.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:54 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

Now before I call it a hogwash, let’s cut the crap, and go straight into the heart of it.

Please take the stage and present your EVIDENCE that there is no afterlife, and there is no God.

Again? OK, we have evidence all the claims of an afterlife are cultural products of the brain, and not real experiences of a real after life.

And logically, if you have no evidence for the counter claim that it does exist, then your are most probably wrong.

And if you still want to argue probability is not evidence, do not even bother to rise out of bed, as you use probability as evidence every day of your life. In fact you should not even be living in a house, just in case it falls in on you. Do you have a tent?

Old 01-13-2019, 06:21 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

First, I was speaking of theists making claims based on analogies for which they have evidence, then trying to run that into evidence of god by changing topics. I meant theists have evidence that ladders work, they use the word faith, then claim that because we have evidence that a ladder is reliable, that means we have faith, therefore god exists.

Much as you have done here. I am talking about evidence in one area, and you are suddenly demanding that I have evidence of a negative in another area entirely. That is not at all what I said, and is a derail of the conversation to avoid dealing with my point, which is another dishonest theistic debate tactic.

Quickly responding to your derail, I need not present evidence for or against a thing that you claim exists. It is your claim, you have the burden of proof to support it. I am on solid ground to say that I do not accept your claim until you provide sufficient evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality