Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 08:55 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes. Complex systems happening without intelligence appears to be normal. Intelligent beings just existing do not.
Things do not happen for no reason. There are no accidents. An unmoved mover is the only logcal explanation for the universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 09:32 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It's kind of like asking which is greater: parent or child? The parent is older, but does that mean greater? The vast majority of parents will say the child is greater.
I dunno about that. I tried for years to get my daughter to call me Mighty Queen.

She finally figured out when she was about 13 that if she called me that humorously, I might agree to drive her to the mall.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:44 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
So, you think what I think.
It would not have been a different version of you; it would have been a completely different person or persons.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:00 AM

16,775 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Or maybe that yearning was put there by our creator.
Except we have evidence for evolved behaviours. Whereas you are just speculating.

Quote:
You’ve given me no reason NOT to believe in a creator.
Improbable is not a reason? If creationists argue that a protein forming by chance is impossible, and your god must be much more complex, then it must be much more impossible. It is good enough for me.

Quote:
Things do not happen for no reason. There are no accidents. An unmoved mover is the only logcal explanation for the universe.
But I have just demonstrated that that unmoved mover is most likely not an intelligent being. Which leaves you logically with nature.

And you have given me no reason to believe an unmoved mover is the only logcal explanation for the universe.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:26 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I dunno about that. I tried for years to get my daughter to call me Mighty Queen.

She finally figured out when she was about 13 that if she called me that humorously, I might agree to drive her to the mall.
If there were some sort of crisis scenario, requiring you to sacrifice your life to save your child's life or to sacrifice your child's life to save your own, which would you choose?

Old 11-15-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It would not have been a different version of you; it would have been a completely different person or persons.
Probably so, yes.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Yet, most believe in some sort of higher being/creator. What causes humans to reach to the heavens?
A desire to assign purpose to their own existence.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:34 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What makes sense to you may not make sense to someone else, and vice a versa.
This is how we are - 7 Billion of us.

For example, it may make perfect sense to you but it does not make sense to me to think that the entire universe and everything in it, came together all by itself.
It makes perfect sense to you though that God came together all by Himself/Herself/Itself. Apparently. Somehow. The main difference that I notice between the universe and God, is that the universe has physical TANGIBLE reality. It's all around us. It IS us. God on the other hand is nowhere to be found physically. God takes on the qualities that the people who imagine that He exists, imagine that He has. Which is the very definition of imaginary.

Wikipedia
Imagination
Imagination is the ability to produce images, ideas and sensations in the mind without any immediate input of the senses (such as seeing or hearing).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagination

Wikipedia
Imaginary friend
Imaginary friends (also known as pretend friends or invisible friends) are a psychological and social phenomenon where a friendship or other interpersonal relationship takes place in the imagination rather than external physical reality.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_friend

The universe is composed of "stuff" (matter/energy), that continuously interacts with itself at the quantum level.

Wikipedia
Quantum
In physics, a quantum (plural: quanta) is the minimum amount of any physical entity (physical property) involved in an interaction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum

This interaction accounts for everything that occurs. It accounts for ongoing change, including the ever changing universe that we exist in. It even accounts for the thoughts in your brain... including your imaginary friends.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:37 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
You’ve given me no reason NOT to believe in a creator.
What reason can you give NOT to believe in Santa Claus?

Old 11-15-2018, 10:43 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
A desire to assign purpose to their own existence.
And why would we even consider that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality