Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 12:23 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
And why would we even consider that?
Because we think beyond "hungry...eat", "cold...blanket", etc. We want to know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 12:25 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Or maybe that yearning was put there by our creator.
If it was, it is curious that the churches that purport to Honor His Will so often regard the results of answering the questions that 'yearning' raises (by science) with distrust, dislike and often, denial.
Quote:
And why would we even consider that?
Because we are aware. We are a pack animal, so we have an instinct of social position and individuality. We (like all critters) have an evolved desire to survive and avoid death. We have an advanced problem -solving ability. And we have what I also think is an evolved survival instinct - curiosity. I argue that all these things combine to give us a big question as to the value of humans, as a species, as groups and as individuals.

I became aware as a schoolboy of the artificiality of patriotism. A group of friends went to a different school, were put in different 'Houses' and in a few months had become enemies, pretty much. I see the same thing with people who are the same, in culture, language, religion, even food. And because someone drew a line across a map there they are, shaking banners and sabres at one another. Idiocy.

This isn't put into our heads by a God, it is put into our heads by evolution. It's the same with the question of existence, art and culture and indeed the instinct to religion.

I don't worship Darwin, but perhaps you should.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-15-2018 at 12:37 PM..

Old 11-15-2018, 01:01 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
If there were some sort of crisis scenario, requiring you to sacrifice your life to save your child's life or to sacrifice your child's life to save your own, which would you choose?
What the heck kind of question is that?

I would hope it would be the former, but one never knows what one would do until one is in a specific situation. If my child were attempting to kill me, it could conceivably be the latter, no?

Old 11-15-2018, 01:06 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Yes, people who obsess about those sorts of things all day though they say it's not relevant to them.
I'm retired and home recovering from a stroke, with nothing better to do. What's your excuse?

Old 11-15-2018, 01:09 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I'm retired and home recovering from a stroke, with nothing better to do. What's your excuse?
Illness as well. I hope you get better soon.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
In physics, a state of matter is one of the distinct forms in which matter can exist. Four states of matter are observable in everyday life: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. Wikipedia
Existed in some "way" or another, then, if I was misunderstood...

Old 11-15-2018, 01:22 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Illness as well. I hope you get better soon.
The stroke happened in March. I have recovered to some degree, but I still have some weakness in my left arm and leg. This is what I get for turning 70.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
...[snip]...

I don't worship Darwin, but perhaps you should.
Are you trying to say that "these lowly people need religion to simplify things for them," then?
I suppose that is what Nationalism also does to them, it simplifies their understanding to their own detriment.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, people who obsess about those sorts of things all day though they say it's not relevant to them.
How odd, I obsess over magic fiction and sci-fi. I suppose if there were big groups of such trying to push forward their agenda's and oppressing me, I might feel prone to do something about it (learn about the enemy, try to help the enemy see the right way). Adults are extremely stubborn though, I suppose after a certain amount of time, they just don't care if there was an error, they've already invested so much.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
You do remember what assuming does to you and me... right? After all we are talking about a book written by ancient ignorant superstitious people, our ancient ignorant superstitious ancestors, and current people who also happen to believe that ghosts and demons are real. Know anyone like that?
They contradict each other in proportion and investment. I don't value their factioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality