Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 03:39 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Nonsense! I have considered my choices and beliefs and continue to do so, now for 50+ years.
But we have seen here how, no matter how your 'choices' and 'beliefs' are shown up to be without foundation, validity or any sense, you refuse to listen.

You can't bamboozle us. You are not relying on any valid reasoning, but on faith -based denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 03:43 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Nice!^^^

Old 11-15-2018, 03:47 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Yeah, and he's probably not really being honest as to whether or not he really likes licorice...oh! the trickery!

Old 11-15-2018, 03:56 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The stroke happened in March. I have recovered to some degree, but I still have some weakness in my left arm and leg. This is what I get for turning 70.
Ah, I hope you continue to recover. My sister had her stroke at 61, I believe. (She is 66 now.) She still has one leg that wants to go off in a different direction and uses a cane, but she regained the use of her affected hand and arm with therapy.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:02 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I think we al know what the argument is - where we, a chicken or an came from is only a Rhetorical Q leading all the way back to 'who started life?' which is intended to be the atheist -stumper. When we explain the postulated explanation "You can't prove it". Tow which we say "You can't disprove it".

"Yes we can it could not happen by chance."

"Not by chance, but by known natural actions."

then the denial. That's your opinion.."Where you there?"

We have done the argument so often. And you are right. Even if it was a god that dunnit...which one?

cue the Other argument.

"There is only one god."

"Which one?"

"They all worship the same god."

"Again - which one?"

I have never been able to get a straight answer, so I'll give it (I'd have mane a damn' fine Theist)

"The True God is best expressed in the Bible, which is the only religion with a book that sets out the whole thing from first to last with verifiable history".

Which eventually brings us to the only part that matters - whether the Gospels are credible. That (to me at least) is the only question that matters and all the rest are really pointless arguments that serve only as atheist -stumpers. if they don't work, they try the next one. Infinite regression back to "Who made everything, then?" is (with abiogenesis -and 'consciousness') the ones they are sure they can dig in and not be shifted. But none of them are relevant to religion, which is really what the debate is about - as you pointed out.

And now I need a pipe up and some uv der hard stuff and rest me elbow.
When we get down to spermatozoa from the chicken and the egg, I find it difficult to believe that a supernatural being made a tiny spermatozoa. I believe we haven't gone far back enough since asexual reproduction came before sexual reproduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It's kind of like asking which is greater: parent or child? The parent is older, but does that mean greater? The vast majority of parents will say the child is greater.
Yes, when the chicken and the egg question is being asked. Parents usually want their children to be better off than they were.

I think it is a mistake to equate parents and children to a supernatural being creating life from dust. In that case, the supernatural being is greater since it has supernatural powers (that it unfortunately doesn't want to share).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
In order to believe God has always existed, you must believe you've always existed.

Religions are algorithms for various Gods.
I don't believe I have always existed, but I can see your point about religion. It is an interesting thought. I don't agree with religion because it seems to make human interactions even more complicated if the intention is to make people get along better.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:03 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Yeah, and he's probably not really being honest as to whether or not he really likes licorice...oh! the trickery!
Ahh if you can't trust him over Luke's penitent thief, how can one trust him over liquorice?

Old 11-15-2018, 04:08 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
When we get down to spermatozoa from the chicken and the egg, I find it difficult to believe that a supernatural being made a tiny spermatozoa. I believe we haven't gone far back enough since asexual reproduction came before sexual reproduction.

Yes, when the chicken and the egg question is being asked. Parents usually want their children to be better off than they were.

I think it is a mistake to equate parents and children to a supernatural being creating life from dust. In that case, the supernatural being is greater since it has supernatural powers (that it unfortunately doesn't want to share).

I don't believe I have always existed, but I can see your point about religion. It is an interesting thought. I don't agree with religion because it seems to make human interactions even more complicated if the intention is to make people get along better.
The #1 purpose of most religions is one's holistic health and well-being. In order to worship God, you must worship yourself as well.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:09 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
How about a religion that makes sense? Let's call it Nicetism. Nicetists consider empathy and compassion to be the highest of human qualities and strive to care for the less fortunate, even at some cost to themselves, both in time and money. Their "niceness" extends to animals and other living things* as well.

They believe that being nice brings its own rewards in this life and the next life, if there is one, will probably also be nice.

No judgmental god-thing. No hell-threat. No arcane rules and rituals. No need to accept on faith, that which cannot be known. Just caring for each other and the planet because to do otherwise makes no sense at all.
Would you have a Church and Clergy with Nicetism? If so, how would you stratify the Clergy...? In descending order of importance/influence...?

"His Royal Niceness" (Church Leader)

"Agreeable Archbishops"

"Friendly Friars"

"Pleasant Plebes" (duties similar to Altar Boys, have to clean the animal cages, etc.)

Old 11-15-2018, 04:10 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Perhaps. Or perhaps we just want there to be a higher being of some sort.

We want an answer; that doesn't mean an answer is obligated to exist.
I think our inclination to look toward the heavens was put there by our creator.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:11 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
But we have seen here how, no matter how your 'choices' and 'beliefs' are shown up to be without foundation, validity or any sense, you refuse to listen.

You can't bamboozle us. You are not relying on any valid reasoning, but on faith -based denial.
LOL

You saying that doesn’t make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality