Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 04:09 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I came into existence a few hours after my parents had sex. The parts that I am made of came into existence with the universe.
You believe life starts with conception. However, sperm are living viable creatures that in the least determine our genitalia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 04:18 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
At what point in time did you come into existence? The father carries the spermatozoa. Spermatozoa carry spermatozoa.
If you are waiting for me to say who is the creator of spermatozoa, I don't know. What I want to know is where does religion, that contains no spermatozoa in the literal sense, fit into all of this? It never created any living thing.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:21 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
If you are waiting for me to say who is the creator of spermatozoa, I don't know. What I want to know is where does religion, that contains no spermatozoa in the literal sense, fit into all of this? It never created any living thing.
In order to believe God has always existed, you must believe you've always existed.

Religions are algorithms for various Gods.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:29 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So what would you like to have instead?

Everyone would have been born a believer with no choice, and no ability to reason?
God had no problem with creating angels that are 100% believers, with the ability to reason, they can make choices, they have FREE WILL and are IMMORTAL.

god did that BEFORE inventing infallible, mortal humans, right GoCard?

Old 11-15-2018, 07:11 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
I think we al know what the argument is - where we, a chicken or an came from is only a Rhetorical Q leading all the way back to 'who started life?' which is intended to be the atheist -stumper. When we explain the postulated explanation "You can't prove it". Tow which we say "You can't disprove it".

"Yes we can it could not happen by chance."

"Not by chance, but by known natural actions."

then the denial. That's your opinion.."Where you there?"

We have done the argument so often. And you are right. Even if it was a god that dunnit...which one?

cue the Other argument.

"There is only one god."

"Which one?"

"They all worship the same god."

"Again - which one?"

I have never been able to get a straight answer, so I'll give it (I'd have mane a damn' fine Theist)

"The True God is best expressed in the Bible, which is the only religion with a book that sets out the whole thing from first to last with verifiable history".

Which eventually brings us to the only part that matters - whether the Gospels are credible. That (to me at least) is the only question that matters and all the rest are really pointless arguments that serve only as atheist -stumpers. if they don't work, they try the next one. Infinite regression back to "Who made everything, then?" is (with abiogenesis -and 'consciousness') the ones they are sure they can dig in and not be shifted. But none of them are relevant to religion, which is really what the debate is about - as you pointed out.

And now I need a pipe up and some uv der hard stuff and rest me elbow.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:23 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Nice post.

I often wonder about Jesus's audience during his time. Did they just not think outside of the box, hold on to superstitions, or keep negative thoughts about themselves? They needed somebody to show them differently?
Well, from what we know, it appears to have been a very restrictive society with a close set of rules to be followed without question and everyone meant to stay within their assigned role within that culture. I view him as a guy who taught that following the rules wasn't always the best way when it meant that the rules trumped compassion for other human beings.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:31 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
An acorn comes from an oak tree which comes from an acorn and so on. Neither creates the other. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Try again.
Sometimes they are served together in a dish on a Chinese menu, which inspired a Paul Simon song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7kRFQf_d8I

Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
I think if some other sperm had of swam faster, it would be a different person altogether...each sperm is coded differently.
So, you think what I think.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:51 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
You believe life starts with conception. However, sperm are living viable creatures that in the least determine our genitalia.
Eggs. I am a product of both parents.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:54 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Well, I would have to do some rereading in that period but I would like to stick with your original point, which is that the creator is greater than the created.

In the case of the amniotic egg, this allowed living creatures to move from a wet habitat to a dry habitat, thus giving the advantage to the genes of the incubator, and not to the actual incubator. So I think when we talk about what is greater, the discussion should focus on the genes that successfully passed on from incubator to egg and lead us here today.
It's kind of like asking which is greater: parent or child? The parent is older, but does that mean greater? The vast majority of parents will say the child is greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality