Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 09:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Perhaps we are aware there exists a higher being.
I think we are aware there exists even higher than that. Well, I suppose one could deny it if they chose to. At their own peril, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 01:15 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I think we are aware there exists even higher than that.
And a higher than that, and a higher than that, and a higher than that - where do you stop?

Old 11-16-2018, 02:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Yes, we know you didn’t see it but why you stopped at biochemical sloshing in a warm sea? Why not keep on going and going till you find the beginning and what started it all?
Well, you know that one. Biochemicals, water, oxygen and heavy elements exist throughout the universe (debris of exploding stars), stars and planets formed from inbterstellar gas and dust, the big bang, the basic 'stuff' out of which the event collated, ;stuff' being nothingness with 'potential', value or 'information'. as it is put in various ways. I think of it as nothing with the ability to act like something. e.g particles.

It's hypothetical but with some science to back it up, and a lot better than a complex one -off being that existed for no reason and didn't need to come from anywhere doing magic and which cannot actually be found anywhere but in a od book so full of mistakes and tosh that it would look just like the guesswork of ancient writers, if we weren't assured it was all true, cover to cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
And a higher than that, and a higher than that, and a higher than that - where do you stop?
How about stopping at "We don't really know?" A lot less stress on the spleen.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:48 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
And why would we even consider that?

Because we see purpose when there is none. A creaking floor board could be a thief, a falling branch a dangerous animal in the bush. We make these mistakes all the time because if we are wrong, we lose nothing. If we are correct, we react quicker (before our slower, rational brains try to find out what the noise was). As I said earlier, it is natural to see purpose, whether it exists or not.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Perhaps we are aware there exists a higher being.

Perhaps many simply believe there exists a higher being. But without any evidence, mathematics and logic show they are most likely wrong.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:56 AM

Quote:
LOL

You saying that doesn’t make it so.

No, but you stating your beliefs without any evidence while ignoring (or not understanding) the evidence against your position does.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I should really welcome a better Theist answer to this that 'It's all man's fault because a dude ate a bit of scrumped apple.

I thought it was all woman's fault because she made a dude eat a bit of scrumped* apple.

* To steal an apple?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scrump

Old 11-16-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Well, that I can live with because it is never the woman's fault.

Genesis says otherwise.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
How do you know whether or not a bridge is going to collapse as you cross it?

I believe that was Arach's point. Bridges usually do not collapse, so it is probable the next one you cross will also remain intact.

That is faith based on evidence and not blind faith.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:06 AM

Quote:
I haven’t seen any evidence that has shaken my belief in a creator. All I’ve seen is that science explains what has happened since the Big Bang. I do not disagree with that. What I haven’t seen is another logical option for how life began.
Life is just chemistry.

A god making flawed people because it was so inept as to leave a dangerous tree (and a lying serpent) makes no sense, especially if your god is meant to be all knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality