Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 05:32 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
What is an example of a fundamentalist?
noun. Fundamentalism is defined as strict adherence to some belief or ideology, especially in a religious context, or a form of Christianity where the Bible is taken literally and obeyed in full. When a person follows every possible rule of the Bible, both literal and implied, this is an example of fundamentalism.

https://www.yourdictionary.com/fundamentalism

Fundamentalism is not limited to religion as some would like to portray it; it can apply to any system of beliefs and/or ideology.
list the traits of a fundamentalist. that personality type is is both camps. It would be more accurate to list the personality disorder associated with a literal thinker and we would clearly see them in both camps.

Its really almost absurd to claim that atheist and theist don't have the same personalities in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 03:02 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
OK, folks. This thread has been edited and reopened. Over 125 posts have been deleted.

Here's what is going to happen.

Posts about God being the Universe are hereby declared off topic. We don't really care what you believe, but this forum is about Religion and Spirituality. Making post after post declaring that the Universe is God offers nothing for discussion about Religion or Spirituality. All you are doing is arguing the validity of an obscure dictionary definition. Stop it. If such a post appears, report it. DO NOT reply to it or you can expect an infraction for derailing a thread; pulling it away from discussions relevant to Religion or Spirituality. We will write this into the next revision of the forum rules.

There have been a few instances where two members have been told to quit responding to each other within the R&S forums. Be certain that this is followed. Don't leave any room for someone to think your post is an indirect reply to the member that you have historically clashed with.

More than one member came very, very close to spending a long time exiled from the posting community for making personal attacks against another member. This will not be tolerated.

This volunteer moderator spent far too much time today editing this thread. To do so adequately requires that the thread be read from the beginning so that the first post of a trouble section can be spotted and dealt with along with every problem post that ensued from it. That's not a fun way to spend a day.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:52 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
faith would not be required.
No, if religion could be proven, faith would not be required. Religion does make sense to a lot of people. Otherwise they would not have faith in its teachings.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:13 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No, if religion could be proven, faith would not be required. Religion does make sense to a lot of people. Otherwise they would not have faith in its teachings.
I suppose I could have been more precise in the OP and said if religion made sense to me, faith would not be required.

If I may quote you from another thread when responding to a statement that Christians know God was responsible for the bible:

Quote:
Actually, we don't know this. We merely believe it...snip...
That belief requires faith. To me, it makes no sense to believe that an ancient collection of stories written thousands of years ago by long-dead, anonymous men who were at a kindergarten level of social, scientific, cultural - and dare I say, spiritual - development, were directly inspired by a God who then pretty much decided to stop whispering in people's ears.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:35 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I suppose I could have been more precise in the OP and said if religion made sense to me, faith would not be required.

If I may quote you from another thread when responding to a statement that Christians know God was responsible for the bible:

That belief requires faith. To me, it makes no sense to believe that an ancient collection of stories written thousands of years ago by long-dead, anonymous men who were at a kindergarten level of social, scientific, cultural - and dare I say, spiritual - development, were directly inspired by a God who then pretty much decided to stop whispering in people's ears.
You could have been even more precise and said, "If The --insert name-- Religion Made Sense...faith would not be required".
There are religions that make sense, can be reasonably explained...and do not require faith.
Not all Religions suffer the shortcomings you note in your last paragraph.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Religion may make sense to a lot of people, but then why do people need to make irrational arguments in defense of them? Every single time I have seen someone tries to defend one, their explanation does not stand up to reason.

An example is the book of 11 questions atheists need to answer. Just reading the introduction alone, many of the arguments made more sense for atheism, and 3 of them refuted the very god the author was trying to defend.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 01-16-2019 at 11:09 AM..

Old 01-16-2019, 11:27 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Religion may make sense to a lot of people, but then why do people need to make irrational arguments in defense of them? Every single time I have seen someone tries to defend one, their explanation does not stand up to reason.

An example is the book of 11 questions atheists need to answer. Just reading the introduction alone, many of the arguments made more sense for atheism, and 3 of them refuted the very god the author was trying to defend.
Good question (first sentence, on phone so can't bold easily). That is why many of us who do hold spiritual beliefs refrain from trying to explain or defend them. It is personal to us, and it doesn't matter if someone else believes or practices something other than what we do.

(Unless, of course, your belief intrudes upon or harms someone else.)

Old 01-16-2019, 11:47 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good question (first sentence, on phone so can't bold easily). That is why many of us who do hold spiritual beliefs refrain from trying to explain or defend them. It is personal to us, and it doesn't matter if someone else believes or practices something other than what we do.

This I respect, and is how I see religion. I am happy other people believe, it makes life richer, until the less moderate start attacking others based on their own beliefs.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:11 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

O course. If religion or therapy or drugs or kissing your neighbors dog or communicating with your toe nails helps you in some way, there is probably no problem unless and until you try to convince others that they need to do so and want to instill those beliefs into the public education, social and political arena.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:01 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
O course. If religion or therapy or drugs or kissing your neighbors dog or communicating with your toe nails helps you in some way, there is probably no problem unless and until you try to convince others that they need to do so and want to instill those beliefs into the public education, social and political arena.
I feel very strongly about separation of church and state. History has demonstrated time and again that it is harmful to both.

But how did you know that I communicate with my toenails?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality