Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 06:42 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
You do have the evidence ? That’s a nice little claim right there!

Now before I call it a hogwash, let’s cut the crap, and go straight into the heart of it.

Please take the stage and present your EVIDENCE that there is no afterlife, and there is no God.

Be precise, short and sweet. No hanky panky. Just present the evidence.
this is how we do it.

1) Not one person has ever come back from and after life. what does that tell us?
2) when people do see "something" its usually wrapped up in the thing they know or have memories of. what does that suggest?

some say there is something but its not you. for example "memes". people are really just a set of proteins processing/expressing information. That information goes on. But its not you.

or, think of a tree. When a leaf is pulled off in the summer the tree goes on.

thats how we do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 07:49 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
this is how we do it.

1) Not one person has ever come back from and after life. what does that tell us?
2) when people do see "something" its usually wrapped up in the thing they know or have memories of. what does that suggest?

some say there is something but its not you. for example "memes". people are really just a set of proteins processing/expressing information. That information goes on. But its not you.

or, think of a tree. When a leaf is pulled off in the summer the tree goes on.

thats how we do it.
Are you claiming to be an academic scientist of some sort?

Old 01-13-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Are you claiming to be an academic scientist of some sort?
am I wrong? if so, please point out where I need to reword it so that it better describes what we do?

lets just keep it to what is said. I say this because what is right is right and anybody, even untrained people can do science. Trained people can offer insight into the data (without having to post other people's stuff that actually support the person making the claim they are fighting) but ultimately, the science, is used for all people to form the most valid belief possible.

weather there is or is not a god is irrelevant to most scientist. Most scientist understand its not religion vs science. Its priest vs scientist many times. That simple understanding is hidden by fundy theist and fundy atheists. they are at war.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:22 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your anger and revulsion for the corrupt "precepts and doctrines of men" that you thought was Christianity is no excuse to remain unenlightened. Do you still meditate and seek the truth? Be diligent and it will come to you as it did to me.
No excuses. I reject christianity as a base religion.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No excuses. I reject christianity as a base religion.
buddha=christianity=islam=jewish. all religions. They have good and not so good parts. pick the one that works. don't attack all other religion. Address each point, or action, that religion egauges in. adjust where needed.

your base claim is "I reject christianity". well, we can easily see where that leads us. to places like this wall thing.

christianity's claim "love, compassion, and understanding. Love thy neighbor.

You can how your rejection of christianity puts people into a corner.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:36 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
buddha=christianity=islam=jewish. all religions. They have good and not so good parts. pick the one that works. don't attack all other religion. Address each point, or action, that religion egauges in. adjust where needed.

your base claim is "I reject christianity". well, we can easily see where that leads us. to places like this wall thing.

christianity's claim "love, compassion, and understanding. Love thy neighbor.

You can how your rejection of christianity puts people into a corner.
Do not assume that everyone thinks like you do.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
am I wrong? if so, please point out where I need to reword it so that it better describes what we do?

lets just keep it to what is said. I say this because what is right is right and anybody, even untrained people can do science. Trained people can offer insight into the data (without having to post other people's stuff that actually support the person making the claim they are fighting) but ultimately, the science, is used for all people to form the most valid belief possible.

weather there is or is not a god is irrelevant to most scientist. Most scientist understand its not religion vs science. Its priest vs scientist many times. That simple understanding is hidden by fundy theist and fundy atheists. they are at war.
So, you are not a trained scientist. Who are the "we" you are referring to in your post?

Old 01-13-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
So, you are not a trained scientist. Who are the "we" you are referring to in your post?
does it matter? to my claim?

would it change the validity of what I said if I answered "yes"?
would it change the validity of my claim if I said "no"?

or can't "we" mean people that use common sense, reason, and logic to make our way through this mess of a life?

Old 01-13-2019, 08:55 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As I see it, the word faith as used by theists is basically a belief without supporting evidence. They then try to confuse the issue by speaking of faith, but using analogies where we do have supporting evidence. They hope nobody will notice the shift, and use that sophistry to declare victory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
You do have the evidence ? That’s a nice little claim right there!

Now before I call it a hogwash, let’s cut the crap, and go straight into the heart of it.

Please take the stage and present your EVIDENCE that there is no afterlife, and there is no God.

Be precise, short and sweet. No hanky panky. Just present the evidence.
Fishbrains was quite clear (and accurate) in making their point. You and others repeatedly cite examples from daily life (medications, ladders, airplane flights, etc)... for which there is ample evidence to support their safety, efficacy, reliability... and then extrapolate that to argue that we all exercise the same kind of "faith" that you have in the supernatural.

Those analogies fail at multiple levels. One has evidence, the other does not. Apples to oranges. And please skip the hanky panky (to use your term) of arguing that our reliance/confidence/trust in those real world examples is equivalent to blind faith, since we do not confirm the chemical composition or inspect the airplane ourselves. That is a nonsensical distractor, and only serves to undercut what might otherwise be an honest, interesting discussion.

Let's cut the crap, indeed.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
does it matter? to my claim?

would it change the validity of what I said if I answered "yes"?
would it change the validity of my claim if I said "no"?

or can't "we" mean people that use common sense, reason, and logic to make our way through this mess of a life?
Yes, it does matter. When someone holds themselves out as some type of expert they should expect to be questioned. Yes, "we" can mean your average 'Joe', but that wasn't the context it appeared you were using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality