Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 05:30 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,585,087 times

Advertisements

OP, why not to go to the source? Curious, if you will catch the differences?

26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over [g]all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Genesis 2

7 And theLord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 09:30 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That settles it.
GOD is Lakshmi.
More like the yin yang symbol...or I have experienced the Universe
within my self (I know that's hard for many to understand) as Radha and Krishna eternally embracing.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:06 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
How can there be pre-Adamic men when supposedy Adam was the first man?
I believe that Adam was the first man to have been created in God's image and the first to have had a human spirit in him. I don't believe that he was the first human-like creature to have ever lived. I don't believe the earth is just six thousand years old either, that it was created in six days or that dinosaurs existed alongside human beings.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:07 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,319 times
Adam was the first fully domesticated human. Adam means "domesticated"

Old 12-02-2018, 05:24 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Adam was the first fully domesticated human. Adam means "domesticated"
Domesticated in what way - agriculturally? Because humans were living communally, probably under shelters (even apes can pull a makeshift shelter of leaves over themselves or find a cave), from the beginning (2m years ago), which means our common ancestor almost certainly was, too.

Was Adam Homo Erectus? Eregaster? He would not have looked like us. A little more so in the body than the face.

Or of with tools, Homo habilis? Again, not very modern human-looking.

If you're talking agriculture, though, he could have lived 9000 years ago in Africa, Mesopotamia, or possibly Asia and would have been anatomically modern. He would definitely have "looked" (and been, actually) modern. No different from today's human being.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:30 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,319 times
I wouldnt be surprised if habilis was domesticated. I assume erectus was half habilis and half bosei or robustus and therefore only half domesticated until Adam

Old 12-02-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I believe that Adam was the first man to have been created in God's image and the first to have had a human spirit in him. I don't believe that he was the first human-like creature to have ever lived. I don't believe the earth is just six thousand years old either, that it was created in six days or that dinosaurs existed alongside human beings.
Then you are no different from any of us agnostics, actually. You pick and choose what you "believe" v. what you logically think is impossible. The difference is that you add in a magical element, but otherwise, your using logic and choosing what's fable, what's a mistake, and what is "true" is a seamless match with agnosticosm. You believe there may be a God/is a God, you just don't believe the stories are all true or accurate.

IOW, you don't believe in the literal God of the Bible nor in the Bible timeline, but you do believe in *something*. In keeping with Western culture you call it the God of the Bible and you feel many of the traditional (again, Western culture) stories resonate with you (many people do, just as the stories of King Arthur, St. Nick and other tales resonate with us - we grew up with them), but you then mention all the things about the narrative that you definitely do not believe in. So...you believe in logic and don't swallow certain very large, critical parts of the Bible, but you'd like to believe something.

Welcome to Team Agnostic! We're a good group.

Last edited by JerZ; 12-02-2018 at 05:46 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if habilis was domesticated. I assume erectus was half habilis and half bosei or robustus and therefore only half domesticated until Adam
No on the second comment. Those three are all separate as far as we know. If homo Habilis, then no, he definitely wouldn't have looked like us, and God looks quite apelike.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:52 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Then you are no different from any of us agnostics, actually. You pick and choose what you "believe" v. what you logically think is impossible. The difference is that you add in a magical element, but otherwise, your using logic and choosing what's fable, what's a mistake, and what is "true" is a seamless match with agnosticosm. You believe there may be a God/is a God, you just don't believe the stories are all true or accurate.

IOW, you don't believe in the literal God of the Bible nor in the Bible timeline, but you do believe in *something*. In keeping with Western culture you call it the God of the Bible and you feel many of the traditional (again, Western culture) stories resonate with you (many people do, just as the stories of King Arthur, St. Nick and other tales resonate with us - we grew up with them), but you then mention all the things about the narrative that you definitely do not believe in. So...you believe in logic and don't swallow certain very large, critical parts of the Bible, but you'd like to believe something.

Welcome to Team Agnostic! We're a good group.
I'm speechless.

Actually, I guess I'm not entirely speechless, just kind of at a loss as to how to respond. I'll just make a couple of comments. I don't see a "magical element" in my beliefs as much as a recognition that my finite mind cannot possibly grasp how certain things might be possible, even though I have no good explanation for them. I look at my four little pets. None of them are stupid, by any means. Sometimes I think my Mini-Australian Shepherd is catching up to me. But seriously, as a human being, I am so far ahead of my fur-babies in terms of my intelligence and understanding of the universe that it's not even funny. I can't help but believe that my pets' intelligence and knowledge is to my intelligence and knowledge much like my intelligence and knowledge is to God's.

No, I don't believe everything the Bible has to say, and for a long time, I was really conflicted over that. Fortunately, I was raised by parents who taught me that I didn't need to just buy into everything I ever heard taught in a church setting. I was encouraged to question and was never made to be afraid to doubt. I do believe very, very, very strongly in God, and I have come to the conclusion that the things I actually am able to say "I know this is true" about are the things I believe God has "told me" are true. (And no, I really can't explain what I mean by that.) There are a lot of things I simply don't believe and there are even more things that I've just put on the back shelf for the time being, since they really aren't all that important in the end.

But thanks for the warm welcome. I'd have to agree that, for the most part, Team Agnostic is made up of a pretty decent group of people.

Last edited by Katzpur; 12-02-2018 at 08:06 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 08:59 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I believe they looked like us, more or less. But then, I'm talking about the biblical Adam and Eve, the individuals who were said to be created "in God's image." I'm not talking about pre-Adamic men, who were of various different species.
So, Neanderthal was created before Adam? I don’t recall them in genesis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality