Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:41 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Due to having one of my posts heavily edited for so-called "profanity" - including words like "friggin" which isn't even profane - I thought I would take the time to introduce the reality of swear words to the uber-religious. Because there's no way that post would have garnered so much attention if *SOMEONE* (perhaps more than a few) decided to jump up and down on the report button.
No one want any fracking wells in their backyards.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:43 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Did that bother you that you couldn't insult people with bad language?
What is a bigger insult--fracking wells in the backyard or twisting scriptures to fit a personal bias?

Old 12-06-2018, 10:01 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yep, it's a dad-burned shame! Godfrey daniel and gee willickers! Just because some high muckety-muck, sonuvagun CD bossypants doesn't like profanity, we have to constantly come up with benign alternatives and it makes me so darn mad I could spit!

(If I was outdoors, of course. I wouldn't spit if I was indoors because that would be wrong.)
See, it takes too much work (or a talent like Trout's) to come up with alternatives. I prefer my cussing to come easy and without effort and still have an impact.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:22 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I'm from New Jersey, where the weak are killed and eaten. The F word rolls off my tongue as do a few others with a lot of Ks in them. Plus I was once married to a longshoreman. Though we are long divorced, when we see each other for something related to our daughter, we cheerily depart by wishing each other "F U".

Fortunately, in my current relationship, my S.O. has no idea what a dirty mouth his partner really has and thinks I am sweet and innocent in my verbiage, as I've managed so far to let slip only the occasional four-letter word.

Back when I first started posting on CD, I received a number of infractions, eventually culminating in some extensive time off, for my persistent use of bad language. I honestly didn't realize it was such a big deal, and figured that the filter was going to asterisk them out anyway. CD didn't like that, so I started using alternative spellings.

The last restriction was because of my persistent efforts to avoid the language filter, and my reaction was, "Well, DUH, OF COURSE I am trying to avoid the language filter. If you won't let me use the words I need to use, I have to find another way to get the message across."

Anyway, they won. Mostly.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Did that bother you that you couldn't insult people with bad language?
Why are you assuming the OP was insulting people? S/he may have only been speaking emphatically about a topic, not about anyone on C-D.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:36 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm from New Jersey, where the weak are killed and eaten. The F word rolls off my tongue as do a few others with a lot of Ks in them. Plus I was once married to a longshoreman. Though we are long divorced, when we see each other for something related to our daughter, we cheerily depart by wishing each other "F U".

Fortunately, in my current relationship, my S.O. has no idea what a dirty mouth his partner really has and thinks I am sweet and innocent in my verbiage, as I've managed so far to let slip only the occasional four-letter word.

Back when I first started posting on CD, I received a number of infractions, eventually culminating in some extensive time off, for my persistent use of bad language. I honestly didn't realize it was such a big deal, and figured that the filter was going to asterisk them out anyway. CD didn't like that, so I started using alternative spellings.

The last restriction was because of my persistent efforts to avoid the language filter, and my reaction was, "Well, DUH, OF COURSE I am trying to avoid the language filter. If you won't let me use the words I need to use, I have to find another way to get the message across."

Well, not really, because you're now a. mod! They must have forgiven you. Keep on keepin' on, MQ! You're doing a great job.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:43 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have a sailor mouth in real life.

PS If I may, Richard,there really is no need for us to scroll thru a long post that is right above you
We all know you're referring to it....some of us use Smart phone sometimes...it's not easy.
Or we just have 'scroll thumb' fatigue.
THERE, Ive finally said it to someone, not picking on you.

Ok, now back to freaking profanity.
I agree. It makes no sense to quote the OP, unless one wants to reduce to the specific line/sentence being addressed. Quoting a long post just wastes space. No offense Richard, just the reality.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:45 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
I'm from New Jersey, where the weak are killed and eaten.

The F word rolls off my tongue ...
PS I can confirm that ....it is indeed particular to NJ ....I lived all over the East Coast for yrs.
Nothin' like NJ...all the bolded.

Isn't that where The Sopranos is based?

Old 12-06-2018, 12:55 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I’m not the one who made the long post...I just replied to it...
Oh.....maybe that's it....you and GoCardinal, both great guys, btw think you have to press "quote" or something making us scroll again past something we've already read....when all you have to do is say ....""Yes OP, I get agree with what you're saying and...."

Or do press the 'Quote" and then delete the long post to the ONE sentence you are responding to.
Keeping on topic, SHUT the Front door...if I didn't just figure it out.

Maat
, I want a rep if this is a Sherlockian deduction I have uncovered!!!! Yay, the end to the long scrolling of things we have already read!!!

Old 12-06-2018, 01:28 PM

22,201 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:

The question raised by the opening post is why do people get belligerent or upset if they are instructed or expected not to use profanity. For instance in the workplace, or in a professional business setting or in publications. And also if a person can't express themselves without using profanity, what does that say about them or their communication skills? Why do they want or need to use profanity?

In the post above the issue is raised of "having a dirty mouth" and feeling fine using it with some people (in post above an ex-husband), but not fine using it with other people (current relationship). The question is raised why is that, with regards to using profanity. What image are people trying to project or maintain or prevent, and how does use of profanity contribute?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-06-2018 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality