Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 08:31 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

As a 9/11 WTC survivor and someone who worked for a time on the site rebuild, I know that some people are unaware that a Greek Orthodox church was destroyed when it was crushed by debris from 2 WTC.

The original church was about a block and a half from the WTC site, and was an older, four-story building that had once housed a tavern. After a long legal battle, St. Nicholas won the funds and the right to rebuild a larger facility on PA with the option to purchase the land.

Construction stopped last year when the Greek Orthodox diocese ran into some financial issues. It's now a half-finished eyesore adjacent to the new WTC complex.

It appears construction will start up again in the near future.

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/12/26/181...thority-letter

Old 12-28-2018, 06:24 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,868 times
Thank God good news. The church should go up there for sure as it was originally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 08:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
As a 9/11 WTC survivor and someone who worked for a time on the site rebuild, I know that some people are unaware that a Greek Orthodox church was destroyed when it was crushed by debris from 2 WTC.

The original church was about a block and a half from the WTC site, and was an older, four-story building that had once housed a tavern. After a long legal battle, St. Nicholas won the funds and the right to rebuild a larger facility on PA with the option to purchase the land.

Construction stopped last year when the Greek Orthodox diocese ran into some financial issues. It's now a half-finished eyesore adjacent to the new WTC complex.

It appears construction will start up again in the near future.

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/12/26/181...thority-letter
Won the funds from where? Their insurance? No, considering the extremely high levels of corruption and manipulation among the various world-religions' leadership, I think not.

You suggest that with the money they have taken, they will "rebuild a larger facility on PA" without even having to purchase the already tax-free (to them) land. Is "PA" an area, or are you speaking of the Port Authority quasi-government/special district form which the diocese sought The People's tax money as reparation for something which the PA did not cause?

Quote:
"Our pledge is to be a witness for all New Yorkers," Archbishop Demetrios of America said in a statement, "that freedom of conscience and the fundamental human right of free religious expression will always shine forth in the resurrected St. Nicholas Church.
Their "free conscience and religious expression" just seems to be demanding free money from The People and special exemptions and privileges.

I hope I am wrong, and further details would reveal that if it were the case, but knowing Western and Eastern religions as they are, I don't think I am far off the mark with my assessment.

Is the Greek Orthodox diocese so poor that it can't even build a single new building? I highly doubt it. Curious that they left it unfinished. Should unfinished demi-private "eye-sores" be the responsibility of The People's government? Or of the owners?

I guess when it comes to righteous dollar bills, it all goes, yuck! I am more than sickened by what this situation most obviously is.

But hey, it's The People and their representatives who are voting for and allowing the handing of funding and disaster relief over to religious entities who purposefully have the special privilege to not pay property taxes or have to do any book keeping of their money-collecting activities.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Won the funds from where? Their insurance? No, considering the extremely high levels of corruption and manipulation among the various world-religions' leadership, I think not.

You suggest that with the money they have taken, they will "rebuild a larger facility on PA" without even having to purchase the already tax-free (to them) land. Is "PA" an area, or are you speaking of the Port Authority quasi-government/special district form which the diocese sought The People's tax money as reparation for something which the PA did not cause?

Their "free conscience and religious expression" just seems to be demanding free money from The People and special exemptions and privileges.

I hope I am wrong, and further details would reveal that if it were the case, but knowing Western and Eastern religions as they are, I don't think I am far off the mark with my assessment.

Is the Greek Orthodox diocese so poor that it can't even build a single new building? I highly doubt it. Curious that they left it unfinished. Should unfinished demi-private "eye-sores" be the responsibility of The People's government? Or of the owners?

I guess when it comes to righteous dollar bills, it all goes, yuck! I am more than sickened by what this situation most obviously is.

But hey, it's The People and their representatives who are voting for and allowing the handing of funding and disaster relief over to religious entities who purposefully have the special privilege to not pay property taxes or have to do any book keeping of their money-collecting activities.
Sorry, "won the funds" from a protracted lawsuit against The Port Authority.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:48 PM

Construction is being restarted.

https://ny.curbed.com/2020/1/3/21047...e-construction

Glad it will be completed soon. It's an eyesore right now.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:05 PM

Update on this project:

https://newyorkyimby.com/2021/02/fir...-district.html

Old 12-04-2023, 09:07 PM

https://ow.ly/IsoT50Qc70C

I have walked past it and can see it from my office window, but I have yet to visit it. Soon.

Old 12-05-2023, 03:05 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:

I have walked past it and can see it from my office window, but I have yet to visit it. Soon.
The main floor being 25ft above street level is probably a good idea given the probability of flooding in years to come.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The main floor being 25ft above street level is probably a good idea given the probability of flooding in years to come.
Of course, then the whole Memorial Plaza will be underwater...

I've been to presentations on engineering planning for NYC regarding rising tides. There's a lot being started now to prepare for 50+ years hence. It's pretty interesting stuff, even to a layperson.

There's also a below-grade vehicle security center below underneath it, which contributed toward the height, I'm sure.

Anyway, I have to make a point of stopping in one day to see the interior. I'm down there almost every week.

Old 12-07-2023, 09:04 AM

7,355 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:

The pictures are stunning. I'll have to visit NYC to see it.

I highlighted some difficulties from your link:

Quote:
The original budget, calculated before Skanska was on board, did not fully account for the design’s complexity, Diamantis added, underestimating challenges around the facade, interior finishes, blast resistance requirements and overall project duration.

A tussle with the Port Authority over the old church site caused other delays, until a deal gave the church a long-term $1-per-year lease for its current space within Liberty Park.

Restarting in 2020 compounded the difficulty, not only due to pandemic constraints but also to the global supply chain crisis—a massive obstacle for a project with materials, prefabricated pieces, iconography and other components crafted or imported from nine countries and three continents on a tight schedule.
https://www.enr.com/articles/57520-n...rthodox-church

Great thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality