Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:42 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,866,983 times

Advertisements

When I was searching religions, I tried to follow Germanic paganism. But I always ended up seeing the different gods as aspects of one God, and BOOM, I right back at monotheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 06:55 PM

950 posts, read 693,159 times
K mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Buddhism is neither polytheistic nor theistic. It worships no deity. It follows the ways and teachings of the mortal Buddha, and is mostly philosophical.

Hinduism is monotheistic. The one God (Brahma) is represented in numerous forms, in a similar way as the Christian God is represented by three (Father, Son, Holy Spirit). A big difference with them is reincarnation and continued existence, as opposed to one death and one afterlife.
Interesting that you liken the triple godhead of Hinduism to the triple godhead of Christianity. That Christianity and Hinduism are both trinitarian. But Hinduism came first.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:23 PM

950 posts, read 693,159 times
Although most people think that Polytheism is practiced only by primitive tribes, there is actually at least one polytheistic religion that has survived into the Modern day civilization. And that religion is Shintoism. Because Shintoism continues to be practiced in Modern-day Japan. One of the main gods is Amaterasu the Sun goddess but there are also other deities such as the Inari (the Fox).

Old 05-05-2019, 09:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Although most people think that Polytheism is practiced only by primitive tribes, there is actually at least one polytheistic religion that has survived into the Modern day civilization. And that religion is Shintoism. Because Shintoism continues to be practiced in Modern-day Japan. One of the main gods is Amaterasu the Sun goddess but there are also other deities such as the Inari (the Fox).
I've always found it weird that Abrahamism says that it is Monotheism but has Immortal Heavenly Beings called "angels" in it. Isn't that just a form of Monolatry, not Monotheism.

What is a "God" supposed to be anyway? What stops there from being infinite "never started" beings?

Old 05-05-2019, 11:22 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Why do people feel the need to believe in any type of god?

It makes no sense at all.

I guess some just can't fathom that what we experience as an evolved human species that will go extinct more quickly than the other animal species that have lived on earth for millions of years...is simply how the Universe works.

What cracks me up about the god folks is if we are so specially created by this fabulous god then why are we driving the extinction of tens of thousands of other animal species that were here long before we showed up as the worst species to ever populate this earth?

We have only been around for a mere 200,000 thousand years compared to other species that have lived in harmony with earth for millions and millions of years. Not only are we driving the extinction of other species we are creating a hell on earth for every living thing.

Now back to this god concept...it's pretty ridiculous when you actually stop to think about it.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:42 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Does anybody here believe in Multiple Gods? For example in Shintoism, there is both a Male God and a Female God who co-exist. And Shintoism is still being practiced today.

That Shinto belief seems to resonate with me because I feel that both male and female are needed in order to strike a balance. Male and female have different characteristics but they complement each other. Maybe that is the principle behind the Shinto religion.

No, I am not a follower of Shintoism at all. But I am also open-minded and receptive to different ideas. Even though I might not embrace the belief, I still respect it.

Christians believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy spirit. Three Gods? Is this polytheism? Christians say no. These are merely aspects of the one true creator Being.

Hindus worship hundreds of deities. Ultimately however, Hindus say that these various deities are really merely aspects of the one true creator Being.

Them that create the beliefs get to create the rules.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:16 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I believe we are all gods, does that count?
A Mormon leader once said, "We are gods in embryo," so I guess that saying "we are all gods" is not all that different.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:09 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
A Mormon leader once said, "We are gods in embryo," so I guess that saying "we are all gods" is not all that different.
I think that is exactly what the Bahai'is belief according to their scriptures, actually. Well, at least the embryo part, if not the "god" part merely as the immortality idea.

I know a lot of Evangelical and Protestant Christians criticize the Latter Day Saints for "believing themselves to eventually becomes gods, there is only one god, its God!" kind of thing.

So my first question from post #24 is highlighted here again: What is a "God/god" supposed to be anyway?

I doubt that the Bahai'is believe that merely being immortal or having some slight superhuman powers makes one a god. Is mere worship or veneration or respect enough?

Old 05-06-2019, 12:25 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
So my first question from post #24 is highlighted here again: What is a "God/god" supposed to be anyway?
Without giving it a great deal of thought, I'd probably say that a god is someone with powers greater than those of mortals. That's probably more vague than you're looking for, though.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:00 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We humans are strange creatures. We create many versions of God with all manner of ridiculous and absurd attributes and stories and then some of us pretend that by refuting those versions and stories we refute the existence of God. It is beyond silly. God may be many things but it is unlikely that we know anything about them so it is preposterous to proclaim what God MUST be to qualify as God. At a bare minimum God simply needs to be responsible for our existence and the existence of everything else. Any other attributes would be superfluous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality