Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Scientology a religion or a cult?
Religion 0 0%
Cult 27 100.00%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 07:54 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times

Advertisements

I’m not religious at all, but I was wondering what you think of Scientologists? Do you know anyone who believes in this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 08:14 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m not religious at all, but I was wondering what you think of Scientologists? Do you know anyone who believes in this?
Religion and cult are matters of degree. Some Catholics, Baptists, Jews, etc throw their entire lives into sub-sects of their religion to an unhealthy degree, so I would consider some expressions of those religions to be cults.

In general, Scientology does seem to demand more of its followers than most mainstream religions though, so I think cult is fair.

I did have a couple of friends who were scientologists, but I haven’t seen them in years. They were outwardly pretty normal, but would occasionally give me the hard sell on Scientology. I remember being at their home and seeing their Scientology library, which was behind a locked door. They told me that they kept it locked because their housekeeper wasn’t a Scientologist, and if she read the books without the appropriate training the knowledge inside would drive her insane.

Of course I told them I wanted to read the books, and they absolutely refused to let me, because I too would have been driven insane.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:26 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Religion and cult are matters of degree. Some Catholics, Baptists, Jews, etc throw their entire lives into sub-sects of their religion to an unhealthy degree, so I would consider some expressions of those religions to be cults.

In general, Scientology does seem to demand more of its followers than most mainstream religions though, so I think cult is fair.

I did have a couple of friends who were scientologists, but I haven’t seen them in years. They were outwardly pretty normal, but would occasionally give me the hard sell on Scientology. I remember being at their home and seeing their Scientology library, which was behind a locked door. They told me that they kept it locked because their housekeeper wasn’t a Scientologist, and if she read the books without the appropriate training the knowledge inside would drive her insane.

Of course I told them I wanted to read the books, and they absolutely refused to let me, because I too would have been driven insane.
lol. I think they were hiding more than books on Scientology!

I don't like that 'editing' thing. They keep a record of your every thought and fear and action you tell them about your whole entire life if you keep on with it. They have giant roomfuls just on John Travolta.

I felt like that is why he didn't help that one lady when she asked. I forget her name now. They have too much on him. He did say she should leave. But he didn't help her.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
lol. I think they were hiding more than books on Scientology!

I don't like that 'editing' thing. They keep a record of your every thought and fear and action you tell them about your whole entire life if you keep on with it. They have giant roomfuls just on John Travolta.

I felt like that is why he didn't help that one lady when she asked. I forget her name now. They have too much on him. He did say she should leave. But he didn't help her.
I know it is absurd, but this does seem to be Scientology doctrine. I heard it directly from my friends, and I have read about it in several Scientology articles since. It applies, according to the Church of Scientology, to the writing associated with OT5 or so.

It is a pretty crazy religion/cult.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
I consider it a data point on the curve of what it means to be human.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:51 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,996,947 times
There is no God in Scientology, it is a mind-power cult - that still gets the tax benefits of calling itself a religion.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:09 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Since it was founded by a sci fiction writer - I’m more inclined to call it a cult, lol. Same guy who developed Dianetics.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:22 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Since it was founded by a sci fiction writer - I’m more inclined to call it a cult, lol. Same guy who developed Dianetics.
And a business. He said before the best way to make money is to start a religion.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
There is no God in Scientology, it is a mind-power cult - that still gets the tax benefits of calling itself a religion.
Does a religion need a god?

I am not trying to be funny simply because I am an atheist, it is a serious question. In your opinion, are Taoism, Buddhism or Animism religions? None have a god in the traditional sense of western religions.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
There is a biography of L. Ron Hubbard out that you can read.

https://www.amazon.com/Bare-Faced-Me.../dp/0805006540

He was quite the charlatan, imo.

Quote:
Unlike many other books about LRH and Scientology this book goes into depth about his early years and family history. The writer has constructed the story quite well. The authors took care to check out their sources and investigate LRH's outlandish claims about his life. Guaranteed for anyone who wants to learn about the story of the fraudulent messiah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality