Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 04:07 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The purpose of striving to go to heaven is to come into the presence of God who was gracious enough to offer his son Jesus as a sacrifice so that you could get to heaven in the first place. In heaven you will worship and praise God eternally and find complete satisfaction and purpose in doing this so there is no question of "What am I going to do for eternity?" That's what you're going to do for eternity and you'll love doing it.

So I'll be like a droid completely void of my own free will and thought, paralyzed in a kind of euphoric zombie state?

I always found it funny, why does God need praised continuously? Does God have low self-esteem? I mean what's the purpose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 04:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
So I'll be like a droid completely void of my own free will and thought, paralyzed in a kind of euphoric zombie state?

I always found it funny, why does God need praised continuously? Does God have low self-esteem? I mean what's the purpose?
God is believed to me male, and we all know about the fragile make ego!

Old 03-04-2019, 10:14 PM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Default When faith guarantees you a place in paradise then what significant purpose of life is left?

The question is like asking since your apple tree sapling is guaranteed to bear delicious fruit, then what significant purpose is there in letting it live.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Post When faith guarantees you a place in paradise then what significant purpose of life is left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The question is like asking since your apple tree sapling is guaranteed to bear delicious fruit, then what significant purpose is there in letting it live.
Close, but no cigar. The question, if put in your terms, would be more like asking,

"if your apple tree sapling is guaranteed to be delicious fruit as soon as you cut into it,
then what significant purpose is there left in not wanting to eat it right away?
"

You see, in the historically Muslim theological view, you MUST (absolutely MUST, unless Allah wills otherwise) water the faith with faithful works (not "secular good" works), and fertilize its soil with faithful education (not "good secular" education).

In their view, faith is only a SINGULAR & TRUSTY discount coupon "For I have made the path to heaven easier for you Mohammadian Muslims then it is for them!" To them, faith is not a "get-out-of-jail-free" card sold for cronyism lip-service.

Their preferred Muslim Jesus very clearly says "with your faith in me you exercised demons, but with your lack of works you did inequity. Therefore DEPART FROM ME, I NEVER KNEW YOU."

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-04-2019 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: to add the necessary title and icon. ;)

Old 03-09-2019, 09:00 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
OP, I think you took a very narrow view at what a faith is.
Also, you talked to wrong people. Their responses do not much sound of faith.

Out of entire FAITH you took one aspect - eternal life (btw, do you REALLY want to praise go for eternity, like in #2?) that is "guaranteed" if faith is maintained.

That's dandy, but leaves the entirety of faith out of perspective.
One with real faith does not even bother to think, what will be his reward in the afterlife. He is in god now, in communion with god now. For him, there is no such thing as stopping faith, as it's like stopping breathing. Being faith-full is natural state and being un-faithful is un natural state.

Does it make sense? Faith you are referring to is more of a qui pro quo arrangement.
No, I have no idea what are you are trying to say.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:25 PM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
That's dandy, but leaves the entirety of faith out of perspective.
One with real faith does not even bother to think, what will be his reward in the afterlife. He is in God now, in communion with God now. For him, there is no such thing as stopping faith, as it's like stopping breathing. Being faith-full is a natural state and being unfaithful is an unnatural state.
Does it make sense? Faith you are referring to is more of a quid pro quo arrangement.
Amen.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:26 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
No, I have no idea what area you are trying to say.
I thought not. Go back to what “faith” means to you: is it a belief or a complete heart felt commitment to a view of and a Way of life? If it is not the latter you will NEVER understand.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:56 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I thought not. Go back to what “faith” means to you: is it a belief or a complete heart felt commitment to a view of and a Way of life? If it is not the latter you will NEVER understand.
I guess this is one of the reasons I started the OP.

From the POV of modern day Christian doctrine, it’s seems the former.
“Believe in Jesus to be your savior who died for your sins and you are saved.
A cosmic welcome is awaiting with a guaranteed spot reserved in heaven”. And then, “Once saved, always saved”.

Nice and simple.

Doesn’t seem like living a certain “Way of life” has any importance in this theology that looks be solely based only on believing and not doing anything about it.

Jewish doctrine is somewhat the same.

“There is no hell for you if you are a Jew”.
Simple and straight. Nice and easy.

There is only a few days of cosmic rehab for the naughty Jews like Ariel Sharon or Netanyahu or Bernie Madoff and many others who have stole, cheated, committed war atrocities, took innocent lives and done a lot of bad things to others.
And then with rest of all Jews, these naughty ones will also be entered in to heaven, soon as their rehab is over.

I think that rehab time is 13 days.
Any fellow Jewish member can correct me on this number.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
No, I have no idea what are you are trying to say.
He is trying to say: Don't ask this question, instead focus on other things.

O.K. problem solved

Wish my math teacher would have accepted answers like that.

And to answer your implied question (which I think is the one you were really asking):

The Christian "faith-only"-ists are merely pretending that their religion is simple and easy in order to attract gullible converts.

Islam and Judaism are fundamentally able to do the same. No religion, or group with a lack thereof, is barred from guarantees and looking the other way.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
No, Luminous, not what he was saying at all. Your math teacher was right, you seem to have no idea what is going on. As for “love,” the principle IS simple, it’s the application that can get hairy. As I have mentioned before, it took Christianity nearly 2,000 years to understand that chattel bondage is wrong in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality