Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 08:31 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Short answer: No, they do not. Their faith, hope, and love of God override any such considerations. It only becomes problematic when they try to impose some of their irrational beliefs on others.
I disagree that faith and love have anything at all to do with people not questioning such beliefs as God needing a blood sacrifice. That's all about fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 04:16 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I disagree that faith and love have anything at all to do with people not questioning such beliefs as God needing a blood sacrifice. That's all about fear.
They want to express and defend their faith and their love of God and their hope of salvation, BECAUSE of their fear of damnation. We do not disagree, Pleroo.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:26 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
It is sad how people need to continuously otherize each other with "they". "Those people are not like us/our clique!"

Old 03-22-2019, 04:29 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Learn the difference between “impose” and “convince.”
and knowing what we don't know vs not knowing what we don't know.

Not directed at you as much as us.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:08 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It is sad how people need to continuously otherize each other with "they". "Those people are not like us/our clique!"
What, if any, is your religious, or spiritual, or other path?

Old 03-22-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
What, if any, is your religious, or spiritual, or other path?
I identify as a hypocritical tree-hugger and part-time humanist.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I identify as a hypocritical tree-hugger and part-time humanist.
Funny, I haven't seen you in the Pagan forum.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Funny, I haven't seen you in the Pagan forum.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
It has a broad umbrella.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:46 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The question then is, what are you going to do with the rest of your life?
I never understood why that even matters?

If you aren't going to commit suicide because your life has no more purpose, then you just continue living the life you had before. What, exactly, has changed?

In truth - nothing.

But what is even more baffling is why so many people wrap up their purpose with a god. The absolute *last* thing anyone should want is having your purpose handed to you by some outside source and telling you - like the authoritarian dictator we atheists believe god is - what to do in order to fulfill that purpose.

Would you like it if someone told you who to marry, what career path to take, which college to go to and what to major in, how many kids to have, where to live, what house to buy, and on and on and on? What point is there to free will if we have to abide by some purpose that a deity hands you - whether you like it or not? Whether it makes you happy or not?

This is one of the absurdities of religion. If god wanted something done - he could just - well - do it. Right? Why, for crying out loud, would he assign "tasks" to lowly mortals who might fubar the entire plan or simply ignore their purpose altogether and do something that makes them happy? If I were an omnipotent being and I needed something done - <snap> - and it's done. Let the mortals do what they want, let them have their free will.

Even were I to believe in god, one of the last aspects of religion I would buy into is this idea that we're put on this earth to do nothing but worship, praise, and love god while simultaneously being his servant, bootlicker, and arse-kisser. I have said it before - there's not much I haven't said before - that an all-powerful god does not *need* us to serve him. Quite frankly, the entire concept is absurd as if God is a bedridden cripple and we mortals have to run around doing his bidding to keep his "divine plan" on track.

Personally I think those who entwine their purpose around god are really only looking for validation for a choice they've already made. Even some adults can't make a decision without consulting everyone they know and getting a thumbs-up from all of them. Otherwise they start doubting themselves.

After all, how many people embark on their lifelong journey doing something they don't really want to do? Never in my life did I ever meet someone who said something like, "Well, I wanted to be a lawyer especially since that's where my talents lie - but instead I'm majoring in social work because I 'feel' that's the purpose God set before me. Now I have to work a lower income job and sacrifice the money lawyering would grant me in order to please my wonderful savior!"

Nope. As near as I can tell, people do exactly what they want to do - or at least try to (not everyone succeeds). They use god, purpose, destiny, and all the rest of it to validate their life's choices because they're the type that are too insecure not to have such validation. Most people are followers, not leaders, and if it takes a god to lead them, so be it. But none of it is real. It's not like God leaves a "to do" list stuck to the refrigerator or anything.

Quote:
Does it make any significant difference to your guaranteed spot in heaven in regards to what you do in your life?
Not according to the Christian doctrine, at any rate. All you have to do is believe and beg for forgiveness every now and then - and your place at the right hand of God is pretty much secure. You don't even have to listen to any "feelings" or "tingling sensations" which are supposed to tell you what your purpose is. If you don't like the purpose, just do something else. You won't go to hell for it as long as you keep believing and repenting.

Quote:
So logically speaking, such a believer should immediately commit suicide or at least keep praying 24/7 to have a naturally caused death ASAP.
Why do you think suicide was labeled as an unforgiveable sin back in the 3rd Century by the Catholic Church? The Bible never says suicide is a sin at all much less an unforgiveable one. There were suicide cults a'plenty in those days just looking for a reason to skip this life altogether and get right to heaven.

Which just goes to show you the fault in the argument that atheists have no purpose in their lives. No, actually, it's the other way around. Regarding your "eternal reward," all you have to do from then on out is to keep the faith and repent. That's it. What kind of purpose is that?

Quote:
I mean, why getup in the morning and go to work, and pay taxes and see all the misery in the world, and go through the pains of diseases etc?
Yeah, good question. I ask myself that question at least once every day.

Quote:
I see that many followers of such faith systems pretty vigorously abide by the first condition - but many don't seem to know or don't care what's the significant purpose of their life AS PER prescribed by their faith. (condition # 2 above)
Well, like I said - it's not as though God leaves an outline of your life on the refrigerator when you get up in the morning. There is no god ordering you to fulfill some purpose or destiny - which is why you don't see people carrying out their purpose. Because a lot of them have no idea what their purpose is, and the rest invent their own purpose. Doesn't matter if they're saying they're doing god's work or not - whatever they're doing, it's because they want to. Not because some celestial dictator assigned them a pathway in life and now they're stuck with it.

As we atheists have pointed out numerous times: Isn't it really coincidental that a person's god agrees with his or her own personal opinion on everything? That includes a person's perceived purpose, as well.

Quote:
So the question from such believers is, what's the purpose of your life based on religious guidance (if you have any) after a spot is guaranteed in heaven?

And what happens to your guaranteed spot in heaven if you fail to follow the purpose of your life as prescribed by your faith?
Unless one's purpose is to simply get into Heaven, then they have no more purpose. But I would think most people want more from their life than to simply wait around to die. As such, I can guarantee that a believer's "purpose" is whatever they want it to be - and god's purpose for them will magically match up somehow. Like I said ... reeeeallly coincidental there.

And if you fail to follow that purpose - well - the believer will probably say that their failure isn't *really* a failure but rather they *are* fulfilling god's purpose for them, regardless of whatever they happen to be doing. People don't readily admit to failure.

Besides, there is nothing about punishment or losing your place in Heaven if you fail to deliver on god's purpose - not that I'm aware of. Catholics, Mormons, and JWs might have some made-up rules regarding that, but nothing in the actual Bible.

A person's purpose is just an illusion - a label we give our own lives. Those of us who do not believe don't need a purpose and, as for me, I'm perfectly willing to simply experience my life and what it has to offer without any purpose whatsoever. Who is to say that a purpose is even necessary? But believers seem to have this burning need to be *told* what to do, what their purpose is - or else they lose their motivation to do anything at all. It's as if they need a swift mental kick to the backside to keep going and so they invented this contrived notion that god has set before them a specific path to follow.

If you were me, you would know all too well what it means to have no purpose whatsoever. And that very lack of purpose shows me that we don't *have* a purpose - except that which we grant ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality