Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2019, 06:51 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Why is religion often seen as something negative?

Because it rather spend millions and millions to rebuilding an old church and ignore the starving
Amen brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:

Because it rather spend millions and millions to rebuilding an old church and ignore the starving
It doesn't have to be one or the other. And there is such a thing as culture and history that needs to be preserved.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:22 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It doesn't have to be one or the other. And there is such a thing as culture and history that needs to be preserved.
Culture and history are more important than people eating? Sounds like a television preacher.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:28 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,607,249 times
word!

Old 04-18-2019, 06:36 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Culture and history are more important than people eating? Sounds like a television preacher.
I'll repeat it again. It doesn't have to be one or the other. That's sophomoric thinking. And yes, culture and history is important as two of the foundation stones of today's life.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:39 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
My post is directed towards the developed world. I know that things are very different in poor and/or undeveloped countries. Today it feels like everybody is against religion. Especially Christianity. Las I’ve been living in countries like Sweden, Norway, Canada and Australia it really feels like most people see religion as backward, oppressive, evil, stupid and so forth. Anybody religious is either stupid or weird. Many bad things are blamed on religion. Most wars, deaths, scandals. This is for me a mystery. Sure, the crusades were bad. But, so were many other wars during those times, as well as before and after. And, the crusades were not religious, they were solidly politics disguised as religion. I don’t see many people blaming atheism for millions of murders in Soviet or China. Sure, the paedophile scandal has been really tragic across the catholic church. But, research shows that paedophiles are even more frequent in for example schools and in sports clubs than in churches. But, I don’t see anybody blaming those institutions.

Maybe people are angry at the “blind worshipâ€. But, the western man still worships a lot, even if it is not God. Money, materialistic things, celebrities, fame and themselves. Depression, anxiety and stress is among the things created by this knew worship.
Maybe you compare with more religious societies or countries and think that “we have developed far better than them†or that our standard of living is higher. But, is that not mostly because of our exploitation today and throughout history of the earths resources and other peoples? Is that a sustainable way of life? No, it is not.

Religion has not given anything to society? Think again, many of history’s greatest minds within philosophy, politics, science and so forth were devout religions people. Christianity is the ruling power? Think again, 80% or more of religiously oppressed globally are Christians.
So, I’m not saying that you have to believe or be religious, but why the hostility. Why is Christianity seen as backward?
Don’t you see anything good in what has been accomplished in our societies thanks to Christianity? What’s so bad with “love thy neighbour�
Religion has a history of mixing with political,economic and nationalistic aspirations of people. This intermingling has allowed people to use religion as a means to an end which has led to negative consequences, hence the negative view. Today, people view secular societies as a way to protect their future in the face of globalization, to do as one pleases, or as a means of gaining acceptance. Secular societies have indeed resulted in acceptance of the LGBQT community, pot, and alt right views. There's more uncertainty among young people, particularly the less educated and economically disadvantaged, about their purpose in life. In a place like Sweden, a prosperous developed country, there's increasing popularity of the far right. In the USA there's a hardcore base that cares little about immoral or unethical behavior among its elected leaders. There certainly is more appeal in rallying against immigrants and religious minorities than in espousing Christian ideals as found in Acts 10:34,35, the ideal of loving thy neighbor, praying for your enemy and respecting people of all sorts. Racism, economic disparities, increasing divisions, nationalistic fervor, increasing uncertainty about the future-these problems will continue to plague mankind despite a population that is less religiously inclined. People who attempt to follow the teachings of Christ, they will have a way to cope and hope. Others? just look at the increasing divorce rates, drug use, and unrest. Is the increasingly developed secular world better off? It depends on where you stand in society.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:54 PM

372 posts, read 220,456 times
Quote:

Indeed.

Violence is hard wired in humans ,especially males. Religions have always been used to allow men to feel virtuous while committing the most disgusting crimes. Nothing has changed in millennia .Well, except perhaps for various so-called 'human rights conventions' which are ignored whenever inconvenient.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:39 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Religion has a history of mixing with political,economic and nationalistic aspirations of people.
Yes, the Church does like to stick it's nose in such things...and all without paying taxes too.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
People not only need to live, they need something to make life worth living. For some it's religion. For others, sex, drugs and rock. For yet others, it's antique human junk.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:44 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Religion has a history of mixing with political,economic and nationalistic aspirations of people. This intermingling has allowed people to use religion as a means to an end which has led to negative consequences, hence the negative view. Today, people view secular societies as a way to protect their future in the face of globalization, to do as one pleases, or as a means of gaining acceptance. Secular societies have indeed resulted in acceptance of the LGBQT community, pot, and alt right views. There's more uncertainty among young people, particularly the less educated and economically disadvantaged, about their purpose in life. In a place like Sweden, a prosperous developed country, there's increasing popularity of the far right. In the USA there's a hardcore base that cares little about immoral or unethical behavior among its elected leaders. There certainly is more appeal in rallying against immigrants and religious minorities than in espousing Christian ideals as found in Acts 10:34,35, the ideal of loving thy neighbor, praying for your enemy and respecting people of all sorts. Racism, economic disparities, increasing divisions, nationalistic fervor, increasing uncertainty about the future-these problems will continue to plague mankind despite a population that is less religiously inclined. People who attempt to follow the teachings of Christ, they will have a way to cope and hope. Others? just look at the increasing divorce rates, drug use, and unrest. Is the increasingly developed secular world better off? It depends on where you stand in society.
Where there is increased concern about immigration, there is a move to the Political Right, together with flag -waving, sabre -rattling and isolationism. And Christianity is right in there, terrified both of secularism and Islam. Indeed the problems stem right back to religion (1).

Is society getting better? I see a lot that's better. I see a lot that could be improved. But I can think back to the supposed 'Good Old Days when it all seemed to be better. But I can assure you it wasn't. I'd say that with more secularism has come a world that is potentially better, and I can't see that religion can take any credit for it, nor secularism justifiably blamed for the bad.

(1) Ok, desert storm was about Oil, not religion, but Al Quaida was a religious movement though the idiotic original motive was replaced by Good old anti - Israel and American support for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality