Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:26 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
That is certainly putting down everyone who does not accept everything you say as the truth. Your opinion is that if we don't agree with you we must be admitting either our lack of knowledge or lack of intelligence. My opinion is that you make your case usually in a string of unrelated long words into meaningless sentences in an attempt to con the reader into believing you had just made a profound statement. And you attempt to continue the con by dismissing the knowledge of those who disagree with you in order to have others further enthralled by your big worded claims.

That is my opinion why you put down your critics

And there is no love in the posts when you try to con others into believing in your beliefs, especially compared to your posts when you are not intent on making conversions.
Exactly. And that is why I have challenged him -- more than once -- to write a concise essay of his personal, little theory, and put it forward in a more challenging environment that this little forum, and get feedback from a group of people who into very serious debate on such topics. But he's afraid to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 10:07 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yours is just one of the myriad possible purposes for our species' existence IF we do NOT actually have a reason for existing. That is the point. IMO, if our existence has no intrinsic purpose, the Concept of morality makes no sense to me. It is simply one more class of societal rules created by consensus or fiat.
Would you at least agree that if there is no God that raping and murdering a young girl us harmful to both the young girl and to everyone who knows and loves her? Or that stoning to death a woman who was unfaithful to her husband is more harmful to that woman that she was to her husband?

Do we really need a God in order to understand that we shouldn't harm others? Even wolf packs have rules to insure the survival of the pack.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Do we really need a God in order to understand that we shouldn't harm others? ...
I know. What is so complex about that concept. The Golden Rule...some version of which pops up in many different cultures and religions...not just christianity.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:08 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I know. What is so complex about that concept. The Golden Rule...some version of which pops up in many different cultures and religions...not just christianity.
Could it be a God placed instinct?

Sorry, butting my theist self into this conversation but I get tired of debating and word exchanges with dumb ass "christian" fundamentalist.

Atheists and liberals are generally far smarter than their conservative opponents.

Quote:
William F. Buckley was a Catholic and a staunch Conservative, and though many educated people found his attitudes annoying, he was clearly a brilliantly intelligent fellow. Statistically speaking, though, it’s a lot easier to find someone like Richard Dawkins or E.O. Wilson – brilliant folks who espouse ideas atheistic or liberal. Satoshi Kanazawa, who seems to enjoy stirring things up, has posted a couple of blog entries on this topic, complete with graphs suggesting that people who say they are “not at all religious†have about 6 IQ points on those who say they are “very religious,†and that those who are “very liberal†have an average of about 12 IQ points over those who are “very conservative.â€
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...r-funny-reason

In fairness, the article in Psychology Today is by an individual who argues the REASON behind being liberal or atheistic is a "mating" strategy. Read the entirety of the article to get the gist of it.

Anyway, it is far easier for liberal believer me to be on the same level with atheists with regard to science and fairness to other members of the human race. What's so complex about THIS concept!

Old 06-05-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Could it be a God placed instinct?

Sorry, butting my theist self into this conversation but I get tired of debating and word exchanges with dumb ass "christian" fundamentalist.

Atheists and liberals are generally far smarter than their conservative opponents.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...r-funny-reason

In fairness, the article in Psychology Today is by an individual who argues the REASON behind being liberal or atheistic is a "mating" strategy. Read the entirety of the article to get the gist of it.

Anyway, it is far easier for liberal believer me to be on the same level with atheists with regard to science and fairness to other members of the human race. What's so complex about THIS concept!
Could it be? Sure. Could it not be???

Old 06-05-2019, 11:17 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
I'm definitely a theist, yet I have a Jimmy Dean (the country singer) quote that helps me guide my path:

"I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails in the right direction."

Old 06-05-2019, 01:21 PM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Would you at least agree that if there is no God that raping and murdering a young girl us harmful to both the young girl and to everyone who knows and loves her? Or that stoning to death a woman who was unfaithful to her husband is more harmful to that woman that she was to her husband?
Do we really need God in order to understand that we shouldn't harm others? Even wolf packs have rules to ensure the survival of the pack.
There is nothing to disagree with in this post but they are secular laws and mores that are established by society and they differ across societies even today.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:24 PM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
How could the Source of the instinct NOT qualify as a God relative to us whatever its other attributes are?

Old 06-05-2019, 02:36 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
There is nothing to disagree with in this post but they are secular laws and mores that are established by society and they differ across societies even today.
Yes, I can walk down the sidewalk smoking a joint but not carrying a hand gun. You could carry the hand gun but not smoke the joint. I drive on the right side of the road, when I was in Scotland I had the drive on the wrong side 😊 or on the side the sheep weren't on.

I am not sure where I can go where I am allowed to rape, murder or steal. I don't see that the legal age for voting, drinking, and Marijuana are 18 where I live as moral issues but legal ones. Being faithful to my wife is a moral not a legal issue. I do not need brains or a religion for me to understand that.

When we had 2 dogs and 3 cats, the 5 of them created some house rules to get along with each other. Their reasons probably included limiting the amount of conflicts. The cats got to drink from the water dish first for example, unless they were taking too long then it was fair game to nose them off.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
and the fact that we all don't play by the same rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality