Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 03:28 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Agenda? I admit, I have one. It's very basic and straight forward. Or, so I think.

Jesus is the Way, the Truth, the Life. None come to the Father but through Him. He is the Savior of the World and a day of judgement is coming.

Now, that flies in the face of many and I get that. But, it's my life foundation. Do I share it publicly? Absolutely. I share it because I believe it's the single most important truth anyone will ever encounter. It's my "Pizza".

But, you will never see me "trashing", belittling, or ridiculing those that believe differently. I believe everyone...everyone, deserves respect in their beliefs or non belief as the case may be. I read many posts here that state "facts" (as the poster sees them) that I totally disagree with. But...that's their right...I respect that. I totally do. I read posts by atheists and even concur in that, "I understand what you're saying and I understand why you feel as you do..."

I never try to shove my belief down anybody's throat. I speak here and there, I share here and there and...let those that have ears hear. Accept, or reject. It's everyone's choice. Arguing about this is not really on my plate.

I've stated several times in here that the best man my wedding is a non-believer. Yet, I love him like a brother. That's my goal for anyone I encounter...to love them as Christ loves them and loves me. I admit I don't always succeed. I admit I'm far, far from perfect, I admit I'm a work in progress. But, I do so try...

In the end, I'm just a guy. And this is just one guy's opinion.
I'll bet the farm you'd have the biggest hissy fit if they decided to take In god WE Trust off the currency.

Or under god removed from the pledge.

Can I get an amen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 03:32 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You keep saving souls and fighting non-existent gods and demons, Trans.

I'm not fighting gods and demons, CC, but the religions attached to them. They exist all right. And people need to be saved from them, whether or not they have souls.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:40 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm not fighting gods and demons, CC, but the religions attached to them. They exist all right. And people need to be saved from them, whether or not they have souls.
You don’t get to decide what others believe or disbelieve anymore than Christian Fundamentalists do. But I get your Don Quixote-esque schtick.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:53 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You don’t get to decide what others believe or disbelieve anymore than Christian Fundamentalists do. But I get your Don Quixote-esque schtick.
That is the most cogent "sussing" of Arq yet!

Last edited by MysticPhD; 06-07-2019 at 04:12 PM..

Old 06-07-2019, 04:03 PM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Sometimes the topics in the Religion and Spirituality forum are repetitive, but you guys crack me up.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:08 PM

141 posts, read 58,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You care that people think what you think.

But in reality, you seem to think that people are stupid. Yesterday I ran a few errands that probably totaled about 20 miles of driving. In that time, I probably passed two dozen churches. And most of those churches had big electronic signs out front with flashy graphics that included worship schedules and a telephone number or website. Why do invasive christians think that people are too stupid to look at churches every day, and at their signs every day, and if they need or want counseling or fellowship that they're too stupid to stop at a church, look one up on the web, or make a phone call.

Now, if you're sitting along the street with a sign, no problem. It's totally my choice engage or not. If you're wearing a t-shirt that says, "I'm a christian. Ask me"...fine, not invasive. But you asking me...that's just as evasive as if someone came up to and asked for the details of your sex life. It's personal.
Churches are advertising...just as McDonalds might advertise 2 for 1 Big Macs. That should offend you too. If you wanted to know about Big Macs you'd just stop in, or look them up on the web, or call them. The nerve of their invasive behavior.

Finally...one more time. If you consider a simple question that would be dropped and never spoken of again if you so desired to be that invasive, I don't know what to say? Our definition of invasive is truly quite different.

As previously stated...I hope you have no friends that sell Amway...they'll show you the full meaning of invasive.

Ok, I see you as being a "last word" kinda person. So, have the last word if you choose on this. There's not that much else to be said I suppose.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:14 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,717 times
Quote:
As previously stated...I hope you have no friends that sell Amway...they'll show you the full meaning of invasive.
Since you have used that example a couple times....

Amway might actually be a good analogy, so let's use it. Not unlike religion, your friends have something in which they believe, and think it would be good if you had some too. What are your thoughts/feelings/reactions if they try to sell you Amway?

Old 06-07-2019, 04:21 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Proof that all atheists don’t share a hive-mind, I am going to defend the Christian today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I share the same opinion as Phetaroi. When a Christian comes to me to ask if I believe in their god or Jesus, they have an agenda and have made an assumption that I need what they have to offer.
I don’t think it is as bad as that. People talk about politics and sex all the time, why not religion? Sure, sometimes it is inappropriate, but I know it the political affiliation of many of my neighbors, and in my single years I asked women out on dates, with the not so secret motive of potential sex at some point in time if we hit it off.

I have a hobby where I spend hours st a tone with friends, and we talk about these things from time to time. I don’t see Casual Visitor doing anything that I haven’t seen in the past, or they I have done. If the topic is unpalatable to you, say you don’t want to discuss and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
I'll bet the farm you'd have the biggest hissy fit if they decided to take In god WE Trust off the currency.

Or under god removed from the pledge.

Can I get an amen?
Not from me. CV may or may not support or oppose these things, we simply do not know. Until we get more info, it is unfair to assume.

CV, my opinion of ‘fundamentalist’ is roughly the same as evangelical. The person is probably a Protestant denomination of Christianity, usually with a literal interpretation of the Bible. They probably interpret the Bible through a ode-existing politically conservative position.

Fundamentalists tend to be anti-LGBT, against abortion rights, anti-science to a large degree (if it conflicts with their biblical interpretation), pro school prayer, etc. Not all of these things are necessarily Biblically fundamental, but they are what the word conjures in my mind.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:26 PM

141 posts, read 58,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Since you have used that example a couple times....

Amway might actually be a good analogy, so let's use it. Not unlike religion, your friends have something in which they believe, and think it would be good if you had some too. What are your thoughts/feelings/reactions if they try to sell you Amway?
Pretty simple actually. I would not object to them coming to speak to me about it...not in the least. If they were someone I knew, I'd probably listen and give them their chance. I'd be open minded enough to admit they might have something I needed. As I'm known to do, I repeat myself---I don't know everything and I don't claim to.

But, if the time came when I said "no thanks"--that would be the make or break. Do they smile, accept my wish, and drop it? Or, would they insist...and insist...and insist...? As long as they responded in the former fashion, I'd have absolutely no problem with them approaching me.

Yes, good analogy.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:27 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Pretty simple actually. I would not object to them coming to speak to me about it...not in the least. If they were someone I knew, I'd probably listen and give them their chance. I'd be open minded enough to admit they might have something I needed. As I'm known to do, I repeat myself---I don't know everything and I don't claim to.

But, if the time came when I said "no thanks"--that would be the make or break. Do they smile, accept my wish, and drop it? Or, would they insist...and insist...and insist...? As long as they responded in the former fashion, I'd have absolutely no problem with them approaching me.

Yes, good analogy.
Now that someone explained it to you - are you a Christian Fundamentalist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality