Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 10:42 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

In the Christianity forum there is a long-running thread on why (some) Christians think homosexuality is a greater sin than others. During the course of that thread, there have been several references by Christian fundamentalists to the "gay agenda."

According to <<snip>> one of the fundamentalists posting on that thread:

Quote:
The gay agenda mandates the discrediting of the Bible, or controvert the teachings of it because it contradicts their agenda. That is one of its main pillars, and the other is the demonization / vilification of evangelical Christians as can be seen on this forum.
Other posts by him and other fundies elaborated that the agenda also includes actively promoting homosexuality as not only normal, but desirable via TV shows, advertisements, movies etc.

All of which got me to wondering about the Christian fundamentalists' agenda. I've given it some thought and believe it can be summarized simply: Turning the clock back to 1955 when women and coloreds knew their place and gays dared not creep out of their closets.

It was a time in America when white, Protestant men flourished at the expense of everybody else.

That those days are long gone eats at their craw and many simply refuse to accept that society/culture is a living thing, and that living things change over time.

It's called "growth" or "evolving" and is anathema to fundie Christians. Their movement is based on the archaic notion that the bible is a history book. Their religiousity is firmly rooted in the distant, primitive, barbaric past.

Which means it is doomed. That which refuses to evolve is discarded by the universe.

But American Christian fundies aren't going to slip into the tar sands of historical irrelevance without bellowing their anger, bitterness and frustration. Which is exactly what is happening now in that previously-mentioned thread. They know in their guts that their cause is lost. The supremacy of the white Protestant male is in decline and the fundie movement led by them will follow suit.

Many previously vocal fundies have absented themselves from this forum in the past few years. That microcosmic sample is indicative of the fact that the whole fundie movement is being discredited by the day.

Truth and fairness is triumphing over superstition and bigotry. That should be everybody's agenda.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-20-2019 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Name removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 12:09 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I do hope that you are right. I rather see a tipping point approaching, mostly in the US but also in the UK. While the recent polls seem to show that Brexit is increasing in popularity rather than people turning against it (and you can see from their writings that UK Christian Fundamentalists are totally in favour of it), the figures in America are encouraging.

The Gay cake thing is just one of the elements in a concerted attempt by Christian fundamentalism to make America the 'Christian nation' they believe in. The others - religion in school, Young earth Creationism, anti abortion, are the four main pillars or legs, maybe of this lumbering dinosaur of Christian Fundamentalism. On stat -figures and the constitution (as currently interpreted by the legislature) this effort to subvert US society to total Christian fundamentalist control ought to fail. But I'm not betting on anything yet.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:41 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I do hope that you are right. I rather see a tipping point approaching, mostly in the US but also in the UK. While the recent polls seem to show that Brexit is increasing in popularity rather than people turning against it (and you can see from their writings that UK Christian Fundamentalists are totally in favour of it), the figures in America are encouraging.

The Gay cake thing is just one of the elements in a concerted attempt by Christian fundamentalism to make America the 'Christian nation' they believe in. The others - religion in school, Young earth Creationism, anti abortion, are the four main pillars or legs, maybe of this lumbering dinosaur of Christian Fundamentalism. On stat -figures and the constitution (as currently interpreted by the legislature) this effort to subvert US society to total Christian fundamentalist control ought to fail. But I'm not betting on anything yet.
Or maybe we wish to simply live and let live instead of having secularism crammed down our throats.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:35 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
In the Christianity forum there is a long-running thread on why (some) Christians think homosexuality is a greater sin than others. During the course of that thread, there have been several references by Christian fundamentalists to the "gay agenda."

According to Finn_Jarber, one of the fundamentalists posting on that thread:

Other posts by him and other fundies elaborated that the agenda also includes actively promoting homosexuality as not only normal, but desirable via TV shows, advertisements, movies etc.

All of which got me to wondering about the Christian fundamentalists' agenda. I've given it some thought and believe it can be summarized simply: Turning the clock back to 1955 when women and coloreds knew their place and gays dared not creep out of their closets.

It was a time in America when white, Protestant men flourished at the expense of everybody else.

That those days are long gone eats at their craw and many simply refuse to accept that society/culture is a living thing, and that living things change over time.

It's called "growth" or "evolving" and is anathema to fundie Christians. Their movement is based on the archaic notion that the bible is a history book. Their religiousity is firmly rooted in the distant, primitive, barbaric past.

Which means it is doomed. That which refuses to evolve is discarded by the universe.

But American Christian fundies aren't going to slip into the tar sands of historical irrelevance without bellowing their anger, bitterness and frustration. Which is exactly what is happening now in that previously-mentioned thread. They know in their guts that their cause is lost. The supremacy of the white Protestant male is in decline and the fundie movement led by them will follow suit.

Many previously vocal fundies have absented themselves from this forum in the past few years. That microcosmic sample is indicative of the fact that the whole fundie movement is being discredited by the day.

Truth and fairness is triumphing over superstition and bigotry. That should be everybody's agenda.
I think you make some very good points here, and the most important is that "It was a time in America when white, Protestant men flourished at the expense of everybody else".

The good thing is -- and you say this in a different way -- once the genie is out of the bottle, there's no getting him back in.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:18 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Or maybe we wish to simply live and let live instead of having secularism crammed down our throats.
I don't believe that you do. But, even if you did, you would find such tolerance overruled by the controlling Fundamentalists who did not see why some souls should not be saved - by whatever means is necessary. What you don't get - and all those who get into a whinny about 'secularism' is that it guarantees that people should be allowed to Live and Let Live. I suppose that they think that if the present push for religious control succeeds, they think they will be allowed to carry on believing whatever they want to believe, just as they do now - except that there won't be any more of those pesky atheists making a lot of noise and America will be the religious State that the Founding fathers Really intended it to be before those Goshdarn Liburls misread the constitution.

Yep, Whichever presidents they will elect will earn your praise by explaining that being allowed to believe whatever you like does not mean being allowed to Disbelieve whatever you like, Hyuk, hyuk...

Yep, it'll be great for you with the entire N. American nation allowed to believe whatever you like, so long as it's Christianity. And if you find out that a few Sects are Not Christianity after all....well, they brought it on themselves by not seeing the Doctrine as explained from every religiously - regimented pulpit in the land. Yes..it'll be fine for you...until one day you disagree with something and decide to look for a new church and find that there isn't one.

Think about this when you say your prayers before getting into bed and praying to keep lewed Thots away from your head and your hands away from your pyjamy pants, that secularism will guarantee freedom of religion and the right to believe what you want. A State Christianity - if it is Fundamentalist - won't.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-25-2019 at 02:41 PM..

Old 05-25-2019, 02:39 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Your leaders...some of whom are listed below...were not about live and let live.

Jerry Falwell
Jim Bakker
Ted Haggart
Jimmy Swaggert
Franklin Graham
Pat Robertson
Mike Huckabee
Mike Pence

Not to mention the overall "Moral Majority" and similar groups.

Last edited by phetaroi; 05-25-2019 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-25-2019, 03:26 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
There's nothing wrong with religion, but all churches are a business, plain and simple. Like universities, charities, hospitals, etc., they are a business. If they do some good that's fine, but their main concern is to stay in business. When they can't, they close down the schools, hospitals, charities and churches.
Churches are in the business of telling people what to think, what to believe, and what to do, and collecting money from them. I was raised with religion. I still say my prayers. I still believe. But I don't go to church. I don't need anyone else to validate my faith or judge me.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:19 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Would you prefer living in a nation ruled by a religion other than your own?

Old 05-25-2019, 06:52 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Your leaders...some of whom are listed below...were not about live and let live.

Jerry Falwell
Jim Bakker
Ted Haggart
Jimmy Swaggert
Franklin Graham
Pat Robertson
Mike Huckabee
Mike Pence

Not to mention the overall "Moral Majority" and similar groups.
It's interesting how you only posted WHITE preachers. There are just as many black and Latino conservative preachers you could have named. Not to mention FEMALE preachers. If anything, white males may not even represent 50% of them.

Evangelical Christianity is a diverse group and represents the heart of working America. It does NOT represent the ruling class.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:02 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's interesting how you only posted WHITE preachers. There are just as many black and Latino conservative preachers you could have named. Not to mention FEMALE preachers. If anything, white males may not even represent 50% of them.

Evangelical Christianity is a diverse group and represents the heart of working America. It does NOT represent the ruling class.
How many black preachers preach against equality for all?

What are their names?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality