Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 08:56 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Im pretty sure Ozzy is alluding to "understanding tongues". I think he's gone off the deep end this time.
No. In fact you can disregard what I said about charismatic churches if that concerns you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 08:58 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Yes, it is clearly hoping to appeal to us to drop rason and just let ourselves be swept away by the emotional sell of the whole community worship thing.

No, we are not going to toss reason in the bin just because you think it might fool us into Faith. I don't think it would work, but what- even if it did - would it prove? That it is possible to fool the unwary into faith? We knew that.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:02 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes, it is clearly hoping to appeal to us to drop rason and just let ourselves be swept away by the emotional sell of the whole community worship thing.

No, we are not going to toss reason in the bin just because you think it might fool us into Faith. I don't think it would work, but what- even if it did - would it prove? That it is possible to fool the unwary into faith? We knew that.
It sounds like you think the Truth can only be known by intellectuals. As if the truth is not something that a retarded child could ever understand. Or any non-human for that matter. Only a small percentage of one species has access to your truth. Do you even realize how arrogant that idea sounds?

Old 07-20-2019, 09:10 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm not forcing you to do anything you have no interest in doing. My point is that there is a Holy Spirit present which is not something that can be described in an internet thread. I could just as easily suggest an ENGLISH speaking church. I just get the feeling that atheists would be analyzing every word that was said during the service.

In my opinion, nothing in the Bible can ever make sense to a reader unless he has the Holy Spirit.
What exactly is wrong with analyzing what is said in church? Seems to me that ought to be the idea.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:17 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
It sounds like you think the Truth can only be known by intellectuals. As if the truth is not something that a retarded child could ever understand. Or any non-human for that matter. Only a small percentage of one species has access to your truth. Do you even realize how arrogant that idea sounds?
The idea that there is no god is arrogant? You want non-humans to believe in Jesus Christ?

My dog knows many things. He knows how to sit on command, that he never gets food scraps when I cook, the normal route for our walk, the cat likes him, and the UPS guy is dangerous (ok, sometimes he is mistaken). He has no concept of god at all. He simply doesn’t have the capacity to understand the concept of god, or really the concept of any creature he cannot see or smell in the moment. That you expect him to is ludicrous.

As for other humans, anybody can understand atheism. It’s really simple. God has never been proven, godlikelt doesn’t exist it isn’t complicated, difficult to understand, or arrogant. It is simply reality.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:21 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What exactly is wrong with analyzing what is said in church? Seems to me that ought to be the idea.
That would be his point. It isn't about the words. It is about the Spirit. Knowing God is experiential, NOT intellectual.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:23 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
I'm not forcing you to do anything you have no interest in doing. My point is that there is a Holy Spirit present which is not something that can be described in an internet thread. I could just as easily suggest an ENGLISH speaking church. I just get the feeling that atheists would be analyzing every word that was said during the service.

In my opinion, nothing in the Bible can ever make sense to a reader unless he has the Holy Spirit.
Hence the reason you discounted alL other religions. I never said you are forcing us to do anything. Read my post again and see what my words actually were. Funny how the Old Testament was before Christians and yet only Christians are able to understand it?

Glad you finally explained yourself. I am not interested as I don't wish to get the holy spirit in order to accept that slavery is great, homosexuals are abominations and mysogyomy is fine. If I believed in a God I sure hope it would never be the monster of fundamentalist Christians., or fundamentalist Islam or fundamentalists Jews.

My question is why didn't you invite the liberal Christians to join the test so they too will understand the Bible? Until there is sufficient evidence for the existence of any gods the Bible is just a book. Once I believe there is a God then I will study the various religions to see which one makes sense. I will not do it in reverse, study the Bible until I believe in a God..

Your feeling of how an atheist would react in a English service is just another example of demos rating you don't understand how atheists think.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:29 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Glad you finally explained yourself. I am not interested as I don't wish to get the holy spirit in order to accept that slavery is great, homosexuals are abominations and misogyny is fine. If I believed in a God I sure hope it would never be the monster of fundamentalist Christians., or fundamentalist Islam or fundamentalists Jews.
Your rejection of such nonsense is justified, but it has little to do with God or His Holy Spirit.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That would be his point. It isn't about the words. It is about the Spirit. Knowing God is experiential, NOT intellectual.
But aren't there a lot of words different between the KJV Bible and the books of Hindu or the Book of Mormon? If not why not all use the same book? Why do so many throw verses at each other? Why do you have so many posts trying to explain why we should accept your claims about your experience? And why weren't services not in English at mosques and synagogues sufficient for OzzyRules test?

That's the main question, why only one subset 9f one religion and not all the rest if words don't count? Or are you agreeing that First Natiins, Jews, Muslims, Hindu Mormons etc cannot be spiritual?

Old 07-20-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your rejection of such nonsense is justified, but it has little to do with God or His Holy Spirit.
Explain why he wished for us to go to churches that do expect us to accept that nonsense but make excuses for it?

Wouldn't a sweat lodge or a Sundance be more spiritual? Wouldn't a Bihai service be as spiritual? Might I be better off going on a dream quest?

But no, fundamental Bible believing Christians was his suggestion to be take over by the holy spirit. The same type of Christians you dismiss as not having the spirit of God?

To all believers, come for me when you have your own stories straight. As far as I am concerned the existence of a God is independent of the Bible, too much wrong and or terrible about that book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality