Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2019, 05:22 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times

Advertisements

The thread veered over to 'did Jesus survive the cross and and how or why', from 'did Jesus descend from the Canaanites'. I'll sort of ask a question at this point: if it can be shown as I have done that Jesus' father is not Yahweh, but rather Ba'al, Asherah and El, would that disqualify Jesus as the Messiah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 07:00 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, people who read and actually THINK would see the "not" as showing a difference between the two classes: what is a misrepresentation and what is religious forms that really have no bearing on what Jesus taught. Did you miss the point about objecting to "misrepresentations?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It's an easy mistake, seeing as how you usually are ranting about those that don't agree with you.
Apology accepted

Old 08-02-2019, 09:52 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,419 times
This is nothing new. I have here a book that my father used 40+ years ago on the Old Testament, for a course he took at an historic Presbyterian university (University of Tulsa). Liberal Protestants don't accept the OT narrative at face value, but they still see value in following Jesus.

Consequently, their ideas about God are very different as well from Protestant fundamentalists, who tend to believe in an anthropomorphic deity: Schleiermacher, the grandfather of Protestant liberalism, seems to harken back to Neo-Platonism in understanding God, and you will find alot of Jungian types in some mainline churches as well.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:07 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Liberal Protestants don't accept the OT narrative at face value, but they still see value in following Jesus.
I wonder how they manage with all the references to the OT that their man-god Jesus made.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:42 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I wonder how they manage with all the references to the OT that their man-god Jesus made.
We see that a lot of parrying was done by Jesus with the religious authorities of the day using their own holy writ. The use of quotes from the "OT" against those who revered it in no way leaps to the acceptance of every word in the OT as truth.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:44 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Judaism is a religion. Biblical Israel is a culture. Jewish people modeled their religion after the culture of Biblical Israel. They are not the same people.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:33 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,027,297 times
Well the Bible states there were Israelites that intermarried with the Canaanites and many Jews became Polytheists. Here is scripture that states this: “The people of Israel and the priests and the Levites have not separated themselves from the peoples of the lands with their abominations, from the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Jebusites, the Ammonites, the Moabites, the Egyptians, and the Amorites. For they have taken some of their daughters to be wives for themselves and for their sons, so that the holy race has mixed itself with the peoples of the lands. And in this faithlessness the hand of the officials and chief men has been foremost (Ezra 9:1-3).

In fact there were Kings of Israel and Judah were pagans just like the Canaanites. Also the Israelites according to the Bible could not conquer all the people there, even though God promised them they will have it. According to the bible, it was Israel disobedience on why they could not conquer all that God promised them. Then the angel of the Lord came to Gilgal to Bochim, and said: I led you up from Egypt and brought you to the land of which I swore to your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you. And you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall tear down their altars. But you have not obeyed my voice. Why have you done this? Therefore I also said, I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side, and their gods shall be a snare to you (Judges 2:1-3).

I see the OP claiming the Bible false however even within the bible the Israelites did at times in their history practice paganism in the land of Cannan and did adapt to the cultural practices of the Canaanites there.

Anyway, a lot of Jews believe in that part of the Bible but they don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah. They are now awaiting a messiah to save them.

Last edited by herenow1; 08-03-2019 at 05:47 AM..

Old 08-03-2019, 06:38 AM

"Jews" are not Israelites. I believe this is why you guys are having problems. The Bible is the story of the Israelites. The Israelites were to serve as an example to the pagans. They intermarried with many people but they were NOT to take on their ways. This is where they erred. I don't know the origins of the Jews but since they took part of the name of Judah, I am going to assume they began their religion around the time of Israelite upheaval. Perhaps the exile of Judah, which would be a convenient time to take on their name, and would also explain why they don't particularly care for Jesus. Jesus was not a Canaanite. Only Levites could be priests. This is made very clear in the OT. If you guys just want something to debate about, fine. But knowing the rules for Levite priests debunks the OP pretty quickly.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:11 AM

Also keep in mind, prophets are only sent when the Israelites are in trouble. So Israelite history predates Moses and Genesis. The Bible is only the Bible because multiple texts were combined in one book. God didn't say "Hey, here's a Bible of your history!" Man created the Bible.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:00 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We see that a lot of parrying was done by Jesus with the religious authorities of the day using their own holy writ. The use of quotes from the "OT" against those who revered it in no way leaps to the acceptance of every word in the OT as truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality