Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 01:19 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Hinduism is not polytheistic even though there are many deities and many ways of worship. It holds all is God and God is all, there is nothing else. I think that is not quite polytheism.
Brahma is part of the trinity of Shiva,Vishnu, Brhma - destruction, preservation and creation. Actually Brahma by himself is never worshipped, there are no temples for him.
This is apart from the concept of Brhmam, the Divinity, which holds everything together and is worshipped as God in all creation.
All Hindus hold both these concepts as true at the same time - the trinity is worshipped in multiple forms, but Brhmam pervades the universe.
Was Hitler god? Ted Bundy?
Cow poop? Skunk’s Fart? Is it all a Hindu god?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 01:21 PM

50,784 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I see. The problem cropped up before and it was thought the Buddhism (which has its' regulars) would not care to become 'Eastern religions'. So -rather as now - it was decided that the occasional Hindu thread could just appear in R/S.
There are a couple of things there.

There are an awfully lot of "Eastern religions". Heck, there are quite a few different (and I mean very different) types of Buddhism. For example Zen, versus Mahayana, versus Theravada. I once asked my Thai Theravada abbot at the temple in Colorado Springs if he had traveled in Tibet. He said he had, and that much of what he saw in the temples there was very confusing. At least I'll give the christians in this country credit for one thing -- for the most part, whichever church you happen to be in, most of the time you know what is going on.

I've been in Hindu temples in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore...and it is almost as if there is no connection between Hinduism and Buddhism, although of course there is. But I think the connection is mostly lost on people today.

I don't think there's any need to trim down the religion and spirituality sub-forum. I would suggest, however, that as one of the world's great religions (900 million people?), Hinduism perhaps should have its own subforum. The question is...how often would anyone ever post there?

Old 07-28-2019, 01:27 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
OF course, I did, Arq. You really have convinced yourself that I must be misrepresenting my knowledge, haven't you?
And you have convinced yourself that i don't 'understand' your posts. I saw pretty quickly that was your own work, as quickly as our poster seems to have seen a few flaws in it. As to your matter of 'misrepresenting knowledge', when I say that you do, i am able to show how.

I need hardly point out your attempted Ploy of finding a supposed mistake that i made (which in fact i didn't) and trying to make it a reason to argue that i must be wrong about the the other stuff I write about your posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
If 'God' is everything then, yes..And is to to be understood (skunk farts included) but not worshipped as there is no point. If it is a Divine being with a mind of its' own..then arguably Not, because as you pointed out, if it is, I can't worship something made of cow - crap.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-28-2019 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-28-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There are a couple of things there.

There are an awfully lot of "Eastern religions". Heck, there are quite a few different (and I mean very different) types of Buddhism. For example Zen, versus Mahayana, versus Theravada. I once asked my Thai Theravada abbot at the temple in Colorado Springs if he had traveled in Tibet. He said he had, and that much of what he saw in the temples there was very confusing. At least I'll give the christians in this country credit for one thing -- for the most part, whichever church you happen to be in, most of the time you know what is going on.

I've been in Hindu temples in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore...and it is almost as if there is no connection between Hinduism and Buddhism, although of course there is. But I think the connection is mostly lost on people today.

I don't think there's any need to trim down the religion and spirituality sub-forum. I would suggest, however, that as one of the world's great religions (900 million people?), Hinduism perhaps should have its own subforum. The question is...how often would anyone ever post there?
That's the question. It isn't that it doesn't merit ist' own sub -forum, but it is doubtful that it would get used enough to make it worth-while. In the meantime, a dedicate Hindu thread or two here would do fine. Hi- jacking for the usual wrangles about that Abrahamic religion apart

Old 07-28-2019, 01:44 PM

63,795 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
And you have convinced yourself that i don't 'understand' your posts. I saw pretty quickly that was your own work, as quickly as our poster seems to have seen a few flaws in it. As to your matter of 'misrepresenting knowledge', when I say that you do, i am able to show how.
You flatter yourself, Arq.
Quote:
If 'God' is everything then, yes. And is to to be understood (skunk farts included) but not worshipped as there is no point. If it is a Divine being with a mind of its' own..then arguably Not, because as you pointed out, if it is, I can't worship something made of cow - crap.
You do have a problem understanding this perspective which is why you have trouble actually understanding my views. YOU are the God to every cell and biota that comprises you and your life is part bacteria, human feces, human farts, etc. The worship meme is misunderstood. It is only for our benefit.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You flatter yourself, Arq.
No I don't. You are denying Everything, again.

Quote:
You do have a problem understanding this perspective which is why you have trouble actually understanding my views. YOU are the God to every cell and biota that comprises you and your life is part bacteria, human feces, human farts, etc. The worship meme is misunderstood. It is only for our benefit.
I understand this only too well, and you are too smart not to know that i was responding to Cardinal's post, where he posited a point that apparently Doesn't understand this. Since you Are smart enough to know this, you are trying a hi-jack the thread to peddle your own beliefs. Don't.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:06 PM

63,795 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
No I don't. You are denying Everything, again.
I understand this only too well, and you are too smart not to know that i was responding to Cardinal's post, where he posited a point that apparently Doesn't understand this. Since you Are smart enough to know this, you are trying a hi-jack the thread to peddle your own beliefs. Don't.
Tell me, Arq, how is it that when you peddle your own beliefs in every thread, that is not hijacking, but it is when I do?

Old 07-28-2019, 04:02 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's not that. I see little relationship between TODAY'S Buddhism and Hinduism.

To me it would be like combining judeo and christian sub-forums. No benefit, just confusion.
I thought the chances were better if the Admin did not have to 'make' another Heading.
I'd love a separate heading like Hinduism and not mix with the stupid Buddhists....that was a JOKE!!
To see if you were sleeping!!

It is said there aren't enough posts ....well, make an area....They Will Come!

Look, Right now we have a couple active atheists, a Buddhist atheist, maybe a Christian, and then the smart ones, Mystic and I already....awake yet?!!~! You guys are so easy to tease!
Watch and see what serious ones get mad at me..it's like sittin' on a bench and throwing water balloons....
at the uptight ones.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 07-28-2019 at 04:12 PM..

Old 07-28-2019, 04:28 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the human soul is unable to achieve this purification in the brief life allotted to us. Therefore, it must pass through as many successive reincarnations as is necessary to eliminate all the imperfections which prevent it from being absorbed into the Supreme Soul. This cycle of births and deaths is called Samsara. (Cellular lifetimes?) When the purified soul has eliminated all imperfections Samsara is annihilated and the ultimate union is achieved.

"soul" does not achieve anything. It is not intelligent to accomplish that. It is not self conscious to have any accomplishment, as accomplishment presumes intelligent aim in it, self conscious aim.

Conscious Self or, better off, part of it that contacts physical body on Earth, has to learn how to think without producing thoughts. As thoughts produce Destiny for that Self. Destiny keeps Self returning, as It has to resolve Its Destiny down to the last thought.

After thinking that results in thoughts seizes, Destiny resolves and Self returns to its immortal body in The Realm of Permanence.

Never forget one indisputable fact.
Thought precedes EVERYTHING.

Likely not the best way to put it, but I'll quote Sadhguru:

You are here
And your mind is over there.

Otherwise, Brahman is not a god. Entire Hinduism is more of philosophy, than religion. It's just that human minds can't get past anthropocentric thinking resulting in "goddizing" anything and everything it can't simply grasp. Or, there are always aliens. Such concepts can't really be explained and rationally understood. They can only be "connected" to. Become in symbiosis with.

Ask the enlightened ones. Don't repeat dead scrolls. They are dead. Direct union with is the only way to grasp such concepts.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:35 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
You may need to progress a bit in spiritual journey before you understand what that means. Until then you may have to develop some humility before you approach what you do not understand.
There is a very simple answer to your question but you need to get to that place to understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality