Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 11:58 AM

574 posts, read 377,026 times

Advertisements

From my own minuscule research, lots of books and video's, I have the understanding that yes there are angels and also everyone has their own spirit guides who watch over us and try to nudge us or push us in different ways. One of my reasons for learning to meditate is to connect with my own spirit guides and loved ones. Supposedly we have more than one. (maybe they have shifts or they are tag teaming us?)

So far I have seen stars, some really cool colors and a couple faces. One was pretty, the other scared me and made my hair stand. They were only there for a tiny moment. All of this could easily be explained as my own mind playing games with me or mild hallucinations?

And I realized that if or when I do actually contact any kind of entity during meditation, it may totally freak me out. I might run out of the house screaming aaahhhahggggga!

Would that be proof? If something scared the bejesus out of me, one could still say maybe I should give it a rest and remind me of all the drugs I took about 45 years ago.

I will eventually find my own proof. Maybe not enough to convince skeptics, but that isn't my job anyway. If I can convince myself that would be all I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 07:57 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Mmmmmmm...let's put it this way. There may be something beyond our world, there may be something before or after our life. We just have no reasonably conclusive evidence that it's what the bible says it is.

When I think how many American christians on the right disbelieve scientific things such as climate change, for which there is a great deal of evidence, but believe fables in the bible for which there is little, if any, evidence...it makes my head spin.
Yes, I know, but I don't see how that was a response to my statement about angels.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Really? I guess it depends what we are defining as an angel.
To me an angel is a sort of messenger of representative of god.

I know some people who have had experiences where they have imagined people standing at the end of their beds, that sort of thing.

Perhaps someone could define what is meant by 'earth angel'.
Traditionally in Judaism/Islam/Christianity, an angel is exactly that, a messenger from God.

I am talking about new-agey type of people who believe in "their angels", beings who are around them, watching over them, etc. You seriously don't know anyone like that and you're in the NY metro area? People who use "angel cards", a sort of Tarot knockoff, for divination? Those decks are very popular.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=angel+card...sl_ax55abwnb_b

Often people who think about/talk about/believe in angels do so without being attached to one of the traditional religions.

Maybe I just know a lot more weird people than you do.

But yes, I also would like the term "earth angel" defined. Like someone else, I thought of the song.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:34 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Traditionally in Judaism/Islam/Christianity, an angel is exactly that, a messenger from God.

I am talking about new-agey type of people who believe in "their angels", beings who are around them, watching over them, etc. You seriously don't know anyone like that and you're in the NY metro area? People who use "angel cards", a sort of Tarot knockoff, for divination? Those decks are very popular.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=angel+card...sl_ax55abwnb_b

Often people who think about/talk about/believe in angels do so without being attached to one of the traditional religions.

But yes, I also would like the term "earth angel" defined. Like someone else, I thought of the song.
You have to understand I'm from a different culture. I'm British and my family and husbands family are largely atheists or Christian.
We don't talk about that kind of stuff. I had a single conversation with my mother about her faith in my entire life, that went like this:
Me: "do you believe in god?"
My mother: *shrug* "I don't really know".

...and that was it.

My husbands grandmother who lived until she was almost 100 described religion as "a load of old stuff and nonsense".
I come from a no- nonsense kind of a background. You know, British stiff upper lip and all that.

Since I have lived in America, the topic of religion and Spirituality rarely if ever comes up. I live in a deeply Jewish community (didn't realise that until I moved here). Probably 30% of my friends here are Jewish. I can't think of a reason or opportunity I'd discuss this kind of thing with them. Especially since I'm a heathen.

But actually all my friends work in finance or medicine, or law, that kind of thing. They're all no-nonsense types too. The only time I tend to discuss religion is with other atheist friends.

Not saying I have never had conversations about afterlife / connections with people on dying etc, - I have (and indeed had 2 or 3 experiences myself) but not in the context of angels being present.

I can only think of one conversation in my life where someone used the term in that context. It was when my son was in hospital with Leukemia and I became friendly with another mom whose daughter had a horrible rare cancer which unfortunuately she did pass away from. This lady used to tell me stories about how she believed her daughter was surrounded by angels both before she passed away and after. I think this lady was Christian though, but I cant be certain.

Maybe as you say, I just don't seem to come across people like that often.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:49 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Yes, I know, but I don't see how that was a response to my statement about angels.
You're right. I didn't formulate my written answer to conform with what was actually goig through my mind as I read you rpost.

Generally speaking, Buddhists are atheists, yet Thai Buddhists seem to believe in angel-like being and a post-death existence with multiple levels of heavens and hells...without the God part. And, btw, we're not Pagans.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Back in the 1980s, I went to a psychic whom I had know professionally in the education field. It was first awareness of a person referencing a "spirit guide". It was a bit intersting in that we had worked together for about 7 years, although I was totally unaware that she also did psychic work. I had moved to another state and a new friend of mine mentioned her...turns out she was a noted psychic in the region. So after not seeing her for about 5 years I went for a reading. After some socializing she got down to business and said she'd begin by having me shuffle a deck of regular cards. However, the minute I touched the deck she said, "You can stop. Your spirit guide is here".

I never did anything that a psychic told me to do, and I have recently started "playing with" a tarot deck when I am trying to think things through. The value in both to me is simply sometimes thinking through things from different perspectives...being more willing to think outside the circle, so to speak.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You have to understand I'm from a different culture. I'm British and my family and husbands family are largely atheists or Christian.
We don't talk about that kind of stuff. I had a single conversation with my mother about her faith in my entire life, that went like this:
Me: "do you believe in god?"
My mother: *shrug* "I don't really know".

...and that was it.

My husbands grandmother who lived until she was almost 100 described religion as "a load of old stuff and nonsense".
I come from a no- nonsense kind of a background. You know, British stiff upper lip and all that.

Since I have lived in America, the topic of religion and Spirituality rarely if ever comes up. I live in a deeply Jewish community (didn't realise that until I moved here). Probably 30% of my friends here are Jewish. I can't think of a reason or opportunity I'd discuss this kind of thing with them. Especially since I'm a heathen.

But actually all my friends work in finance or medicine, or law, that kind of thing. They're all no-nonsense types too. The only time I tend to discuss religion is with other atheist friends.

Not saying I have never had conversations about afterlife / connections with people on dying etc, - I have (and indeed had 2 or 3 experiences myself) but not in the context of angels being present.

I can only think of one conversation in my life where someone used the term in that context. It was when my son was in hospital with Leukemia and I became friendly with another mom whose daughter had a horrible rare cancer which unfortunuately she did pass away from. This lady used to tell me stories about how she believed her daughter was surrounded by angels both before she passed away and after. I think this lady was Christian though, but I cant be certain.

Maybe as you say, I just don't seem to come across people like that often.
I can't say I come across them often, but I know they're out there and I see the "angel" things in shops and online. My WTC "escape-mate" is into angel cards and believing guardian angels are around her and her children. She's a very intelligent woman. Brooklyn/Staten Island Catholic technically, but she's gone further over into the Pagan world in the last few years.

There also does seem to be a lot more of a presence of Pagan practices in the Monmouth County shore area than there was when I lived in north Jersey, come to think of it. It's an artsy area. Maybe that goes along with it.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
You're right. I didn't formulate my written answer to conform with what was actually goig through my mind as I read you rpost.

Generally speaking, Buddhists are atheists, yet Thai Buddhists seem to believe in angel-like being and a post-death existence with multiple levels of heavens and hells...without the God part. And, btw, we're not Pagans.
No, I wouldn't think of Buddhists as Pagans, but I didn't know that. Good information, thanks.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:37 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:

I was very impressed with how courteous and polite Thais are when I went there, and went to a Buddhist temples just for the tourist thing.
We had to bow to 3 different statues, and and did not feel uncomfortable at all in their temples, or notice it being Pagan in any way.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I was very impressed with how courteous and polite Thais are when I went there, and went to a Buddhist temples just for the tourist thing.
We had to bow to 3 different statues, and and did not feel uncomfortable at all in their temples, or notice it being Pagan in any way.
Very true.

What I found interesting over many visits during many summers, and then living there for two years was that there was no proselytizing in temples, even though I just looked like a tourist wandering around temple grounds. I was never approached in that way. Admittedly, once I got into the bot or wiharn, then they would see that I knew what to do. But still, never once was I approached, but always welcomed and if I had questions they would find someone who spoke English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality