Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2019, 11:33 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
I would bet that I am more confident in mine than you are in yours. I’m willing to compare our reasoning for our own worldviews, but I suspect you would shrink from such a challenge.
Comparing our worldviews would be fine but I'm not looking for a one on one, nor do I seek to find or prove someone wrong. I do seek to improve my knowledge and understanding and that includes understanding how other folks, like yourself feel and view things. Many of my friends and family are Christians. Heck, my great grandfather was a bishop. He would be turning in his grave if he knew my worldview.

Oh yeah, my grandfather was a missionary in Africa too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 11:37 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
If you mean congregation, I first can't help but question if that's what this is...

That said, I appreciate anyone's "pitch" as to what we should all accept as truth. More so if an explanation or justification is provided that seems reasonable, intelligent and fact-based. Less so if the explanation is really none of those things. Of course that's me and also of course what criteria any of us might require to establish what is worthy of our support is another matter to consider among many that might also help to answer your question one way or another.

I agree that taking advantage of gullible people inculcated at a young age is not a good thing if that's your drift? Hopefully that's not too many people here...
People are congregated (yes, I meant congregation) here exchanging ideas. Church is about being told what to believe. A forum on religion affords the opportunity to examine the conclusions reached by others. And to "pitch" the conclusions each of us have reached.

Every religion around the world takes advantage of young people by making a concerted effort to indoctrinate them into the prevailing belief system of that society. I did not indoctrinate my own children into a system of non belief. I waited until they asked questions and then attempted to explain what conclusions I had reached. My daughter still often mocks me by muttering "protons, neutrons and electrons" when I start ranting about why things are as they are.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:48 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
TroutDude is one of the few atheists who comment in the Christianity forum. Nothing of substance, though. Mostly just cheap shot insults. Atheists who use the excuse that they’re not welcome there is just a transparent admission that they have little confidence that there conclusions would hold up under scrutiny. I used to comment in the echo-chamber/safe-space known as the A&A forum, with its ‘proselytizing not welcome’ policy. They object to quoting Bible verses UNLESS the purpose is to ridicule. A&A forum is much less ‘welcoming’ to opposing points of view than the Christianity forum. That is a fact. My experience is that Atheists, in general, are more thin-skinned about criticism than Christians.
Atheists tend to avoid the Christianity sub forum because it is a good way to pile up infractions. So we hang out in the Religion and Spirituality forum for Christians to come out and play. At which point it becomes a game of Whack-a-Mole. Christians pop in, and then disappear back into the security of their Christianity sub forum hole.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:49 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
"safe place/echo chambers" "fiercely protected"
interesting phrase and concept.
so there is no proselytizing in the atheist forum because it is a "safe place/echo chamber" for atheists
and the Buddhism forum is a "safe place/echo chamber" for Buddhists.
the Paganism forum is a "safe place/echo chamber" for pagans.

following the logic of those who use that phrase.
In a sense, yes.

But there are some problems with your logic.

The christianity part of the forum is seen by many chistians as a "praise forum".

And here's a recent "rule post" from Mensaguy: "This is the Christianity forum, where we discuss issues about Christianity. Obviously, the existence of God/Jesus is a given in such discussions, so arguments against the existence of God are off topic in the Christianity forum. Please confine any such discussions to the main Religion & Spirituality forum." How much more clear does that need to be?

Old 08-20-2019, 11:51 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
It would be interesting to hold some moderated debates, between two people at a time, if there is someone who could moderate with impartiality. That would reveal much more than what passes for ‘debate’ on these forums.
Clearly this forum can't accomplish anything of the sort. However, anyone who is really interested in such exchange or moderated debate can find them quite easily with just a bit of a Google search. Here the chance to maintain an adult, reasonable and civil exchange about any contentious topic is about as likely as God posting the next comment in this thread...

Old 08-20-2019, 11:58 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In a sense, yes.

But there are some problems with your logic.

The christianity part of the forum is seen by many chistians as a "praise forum".

And here's a recent "rule post" from Mensaguy: "This is the Christianity forum, where we discuss issues about Christianity. Obviously, the existence of God/Jesus is a given in such discussions, so arguments against the existence of God are off topic in the Christianity forum. Please confine any such discussions to the main Religion & Spirituality forum." How much more clear does that need to be?
Quick guess...how many people do you think actually bother reading the rules and/or the stickies of the forums they post in? I've noticed many, many people that have been members for years that get surprised when they're pointed out.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
"safe place/echo chambers" "fiercely protected"
interesting phrase and concept.
so there is no proselytizing in the atheist forum because it is a "safe place/echo chamber" for atheists
and the Buddhism forum is a "safe place/echo chamber" for Buddhists.
the Paganism forum is a "safe place/echo chamber" for pagans.

following the logic of those who use that phrase.
This issue, fear and/or aversion about "proselytizing" is another rather common and unique one in this forum...

Some people really seem to have heartburn over the exchange of opinion, facts and reason that relates to what might be worth considering with respect to the validity of any belief. There are people like me who have absolutely no problem with that sort of exchange. There are obviously other kinds of people who want strict adherence to their belief(s) and no word to suggest otherwise.

Either agree with me and my ways or be gone from my view sort of mentality...

I'm not sure how these threads can be managed to accommodate both kinds of people, but obviously people so different in these regards will need to find whatever forum or thread best suits their sensitivities (or lack thereof). I've got no problem with anyone expressing their opinion about anything, call it "proselytizing" or whatever. Not sure I understand the people who do too well either, but no doubt some people simply have trouble tolerating opinion or political leaning or religion different from there own.

We all knew this long before we found this forum, and this forum proves this truth every day without end...

Old 08-20-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Atheists tend to avoid the Christianity sub forum because it is a good way to pile up infractions. So we hang out in the Religion and Spirituality forum for Christians to come out and play. At which point it becomes a game of Whack-a-Mole. Christians pop in, and then disappear back into the security of their Christianity sub forum hole.
Funny...

I spent most of my prior time futzing around in the Politics and Other Controversies forum until one day I was drawn to another thread in this forum. I joined and began to participate quite innocently unaware what I was getting into. Boy did I quickly find out how true it is what you describe as your experience here, but I did learn something about how some people can behave that I won't ever forget.

One most certain common element no matter the forum or thread, is the degree to which anything worthwhile is accomplished and again why I am forever wondering why I waste the time exchanging opinion. No doubt the forums more worthwhile must be about things you want to know about that involve no real critical thinking, like how to knit a sweater or what are your favorite foods or music. Maybe that's where the more experienced people go in this forum before they die...

Old 08-20-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Comparing our worldviews would be fine but I'm not looking for a one on one, nor do I seek to find or prove someone wrong. I do seek to improve my knowledge and understanding and that includes understanding how other folks, like yourself feel and view things. Many of my friends and family are Christians. Heck, my great grandfather was a bishop. He would be turning in his grave if he knew my worldview.

Oh yeah, my grandfather was a missionary in Africa too.
Seems we are of like mind and experience...

I have very good friends and family who are Mormons, Jews, Christians, and although I can't honestly say I don't do my best to prove right from wrong, attempt to distinguish truth from nonsense, I know better than to think the effort is anything but academic and probably best to be avoided in person. Here at least the exercise can hardly affect our personal relationships (because no one knows anyone here), and it is interesting to get a sense about people from all over the country rather than just from one's immediate circle.

The absolute convenience of when to participate is another advantage or benefit of this forum very different from what we can generally find in our personal lives closer to home.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
People are congregated (yes, I meant congregation) here exchanging ideas. Church is about being told what to believe. A forum on religion affords the opportunity to examine the conclusions reached by others. And to "pitch" the conclusions each of us have reached.

Every religion around the world takes advantage of young people by making a concerted effort to indoctrinate them into the prevailing belief system of that society. I did not indoctrinate my own children into a system of non belief. I waited until they asked questions and then attempted to explain what conclusions I had reached. My daughter still often mocks me by muttering "protons, neutrons and electrons" when I start ranting about why things are as they are.
Sure but in all fairness (as I always try to promote)...

You and I both taught our children in the same way because we thought it was the best way for them. All the parents I know who were/are religious and taught their kids to believe the same religion do so for much if not the same reason. My Mother was taking me to church almost as soon as I could walk, because she thought it was best for me and my sisters to do so.

Finally had to give up on me however along those lines as even she too began to understand why I could no longer go along. Mom had a hard time countering my thoughts about all that after I was no longer young enough or quite as susceptible to the indoctrination...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality