Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 03:02 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
SoCal, you have some sensible aspects to what you believe but I must say that to say that only humans have a soul or something does not make sense to me.

I am not saying this flippantly - I have given this a great deal of thought over the years. I lost my son five years ago and this led me to think on these things even more so. I had a few interesting (to me) experiences after his death, one involving the spirit of my dog. Others involved dreams and others 'messages' from my son. A few were rather bizarre, like the day I collected my son's casket from the airport (I won't go into details here). I had one or two more physical experiences which seemed rather strange.

But being a born again skeptic, I look for natural or earthly explanations first.
By now I have lost both my parents (and I can't think where I put my slippers, either), but I never had any off experiences involving either of them. I mean. after they were dead.

But I came to know pretty early on that i was a psychic clod. As well as a 'concrete thinker' and having the wring kind of knees for Buddhism. Atheism was really the only avenue left open to me for bringing meaning to my pointless life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 03:22 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
We are primates with a hell of an imagination.
Good one and too true.

Quote:
By now I have lost both my parents (and I can't think where I put my slippers, either), but I never had any off experiences involving either of them. I mean. after they were dead.

But I came to know pretty early on that i was a psychic clod. As well as a 'concrete thinker' and having the wrong kind of knees for Buddhism. Atheism was really the only avenue left open to me for bringing meaning to my pointless life.
Well, as an atheist I tend to be a 'concrete thinker' too, in the sense that I want 'concrete' evidence. So when I have these seemingly strange experiences, I question myself. In the end I can only say, "I don't know".

When I experienced the spirit of my dog it was in the wind blowing through the leaves of the tall gum trees. It was the feeling invoked in me by the sounds the wind made in the leaves. My dog's spirit is my memory of him, living in my mind. He loved to run and that was the feeling I had at that time - my dog running in the wind. It's funny how one particular dog, of all the dogs I have had, that holds my affections till this day. I still miss him after all these years.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:26 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Good one and too true.

Well, as an atheist I tend to be a 'concrete thinker' too, in the sense that I want 'concrete' evidence. So when I have these seemingly strange experiences, I question myself. In the end I can only say, "I don't know".

When I experienced the spirit of my dog it was in the wind blowing through the leaves of the tall gum trees. It was the feeling invoked in me by the sounds the wind made in the leaves. My dog's spirit is my memory of him, living in my mind. He loved to run and that was the feeling I had at that time - my dog running in the wind. It's funny how one particular dog, of all the dogs I have had, that holds my affections till this day. I still miss him after all these years.
Although this post seems to wander a bit, I still think you are almost accidentally making a good point ...and one that permeates this forum:

That there is the concrete and there is the...well what shall I call it...nebulous.

There are things that permeate all cultures. If you stick your finger in a light socket while standing in water in Boston, and then do the same thing in Calcutta...the outcome will be pretty much the same. But if you were raised in Boston, as opposed to being raised in Calcutta, it's likely your answers to spiritual issues are going to be drastically different.

The problem with religion is -- as with your dog experience, as with a few of my psychic experiences -- that religious people will say different things about those experiences in different cultures. The same experiences in Haiti will be looked at differently than in Salt Lake City. Nebulous. And, whether the religionists like to admit it, much...scratch that...most of religion is nebulous, whether it is christianity or Hinduism or Islam.

I tend to be a concrete thinker. So someone might say, "Then why do you believe in psychic phenomenon?" And my response is likely to be, "I didn't say I understand or believe in it. I just say there is something there that is more than coincidence. This is very different than the catholic who says, "Oh yes, I actually believe that during the mass the wine turns into the blood of christ" (and yes, I personally know catholic who say exactly that).

And this gets to a comment I often make -- that there is nothing wrong with faith...except when the believer can no longer distinguish between fact and faith.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Funny, phet you used the water and light bulb story...that is the event that turned Charles Stanley, 84, to
his future vocation as a Pastor in Atlanta.
A a young guy he was standing in water unknowingly reaching to mess with a flimsy bulb hanging down
from a frayed wire...the phone rang, no one was there, looking back he saw what was about to occur!

Guess ya had to be there...

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 09-20-2019 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: fixing those darn spaces using Firefox

Old 09-20-2019, 06:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
By now I have lost both my parents....., but I never had any off experiences involving either of them. I mean. after they were dead.
I only have a cousin and sister left, myself. My mom never cared much about me
in life, my dad even less..so why would they visit me now!!

But, my sis was my Dad's princess...she got herself into a jam in the Winter in the country in his car
speeding on ice! She is still an idiot at 70...
His voice came to her sideways in a ditch as clear as day as to how to get out.
(I don't believe he is watching over me in any way.)

One of those nebulous things. She'd still be frozen there today if not for him...so I believe her.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Good one and too true.

Ah the Associations. That's why I keep all the clutter from my travels around me. The feeling of adventure at the time.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:19 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
Though dad was a skeptic as a young Christian, he still believed for the miracles he could not deny.
Growing up I saw more miracles in our household than most preachers see in a lifetime. I know God's intervention throughout my lifetime.
Jesus Christ is my Lord and as Savior, and He provides the Holy Spirit to teach in His place.
Though there are those that have had genuine near-death experiences, there are those the have read them and fantasized them as well.
Not condemning or justifying the OP.
Few people have had these experiences over time I have a book of the dying testimonies of the saved and the unsaved, written back in the 1950's I think.
Not till recently have stories been some shared that present a very liberal view of the events by comparison, while others share more consistent experiences consistent with scriptures, and these not religious at all some being atheist intellectuals.
Though I have not had near-death or out of body experiences, I do know Gods healing and intervention in my life and the lives of others I have prayed for.
Though atheists hate the fact we are confined to seek God's will in our prayer, we know He knows best and has the bigger picture. Just because one does not manipulate God, does not mean He is not there listening.
Ideally, one walking in God's will is lead where he goes, in around and through trouble as needed.
One of the reasons I turned to God as a child were the testimonies of men that put off God in their lives till things were so bad all they had was looking up from a hospital bed. I knew then, I did not to be one of those putting off God in my life.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:17 PM

I'm not impressed by preaching Godfaith and sneering at atheists for not having it.

We could (and do) say it the other way around. Except of course that we don't claim to Know on Faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Funny, phet you used the water and light bulb story...that is the event that turned Charles Stanley, 84, to
his future vocation as a Pastor in Atlanta.
A a young guy he was standing in water unknowingly reaching to mess with a flimsy bulb hanging down
from a frayed wire...the phone rang, no one was there, looking back he saw what was about to occur!

Like a lot of these miracle saves we don't hear about the ones where the 'phone didn't ring.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:54 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
It is upon us Arq, people will think it's the end, but it is the birthing pangs of the begining.

I am getting more anxious as each min ticks us closer and closer.

Tic toc, tic toc.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:46 PM

Rather than fretting about the future, I prefer trying to do something with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality