Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 11:47 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Always very difficult to consider accounts from others about this sort of thing, because one can never really know what may be all the facts or how how to make sense of them. How we might process them differently when we simply weren't there. Do we believe everything everyone tells us about such experiences? I don't think anyone believes everything they are told about what others have experienced, so we tend to rely on our own personal experiences above all else. Most of us do anyway, and in that respect there is little anyone can do other respect "to each his own," and why not?

I always consider how we are all so different in terms of being either skeptical or receptive to supernatural possibilities, but I have a few stories or experiences that seemed "out of this world" to me at first. Then "debunked" as I insisted on finding out what was going on or finding out more before accepting something was simply not explainable other than supernaturally. In particular, I always remember how I THOUGHT I had such experiences when I was much younger. Believed this or that was the sign I was asking for. Believed what others told me about their experiences too, but as I learned more and more about how the truth seemed to be about something else all too often, I've got to the point where all I can do is wonder why so many people have such experiences and beliefs while so many others don't.

Why not everybody?

Is it really about a shared universal reality that some of us get and others don't, or is it more about the difference between how some people experience what they do as compared to others? I really don't know, but I think if we looked closer at how we are different in these respects, we might get closer to the truth that exists for all of us. Anyone watch that TED Talk video for example? I suspect, depending on these same differences, some people are interested and process that information very differently than others not so interested for whatever our respective reasons may be.

We do know some things about how we are different in these respects anyway...

‘New Age’ beliefs common among both religious and nonreligious Americans

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ous-americans/

I'd like to add, I am always very sympathetic about traumatic stories involving the loss of loved ones. I know more than a few of those experiences and stories more personally, and I know how they can be overwhelming in all too many ways. Whatever peace can be had regardless the rest, I'm all for respecting as such, whatever the truth may be in these regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 02:23 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
That was me - I made that suggestion. It was here on R&S. I don't know either.

I have a story to tell involving the death of my son - for later perhaps.

A year in, I was sitting at my desk googling NDE's and OBE's trying to find proof of afterlife. I had been texting my nephew in law and had put my phone down next to my computer. I said out loud, talking to my son, saying "If only you could send me a sign". The next moment my phone beeped a text message. I picked it up, had a look and all I could find was a message to my nephew in law that I hadn't yet sent, which I thought was strange because I thought I had sent it but anyway, I pressed send. Then I looked at the message and it was a message I had sent to my ex-nephew in law nearly a year earlier. I had messaged him back and forth a bit since then. That message was sitting in my current nephew in law's ready to send box whom I had been messaging. I had not messaged the ex nephew in law for some time.

The message was to let him know that my son's body could be viewed at certain times (if he so wished). There were a few errors in the message.

I did some playing around to see what sort of "pocket texting" key strokes would have been required to get this to happen and really, without looking at the screen and deliberately making selections, it would be next to impossible for an accidental occurrence. The only other possibility would have been a phone glitch. Of all the thousands of messages on my phone to various people over that time spam and that specific glitch occurs at that specific time!

Well, one day, I had been thinking about this event and wondering about it when my phone beeped a text message. It was another phone glitch with some random message I had sent to someone, appearing. So the phone did do the glitch thing (but why just when I was thinking about it?)

I have yet another story to tell, also involving my son's death.

A funny thing happened - I opened the file with the photo of the message in question and my PC bombed out!

Then I'm finding sentences getting duplicated in different places and others disappearing! I'll need to reboot a second time!

The green image at lower right is the message.
That's crazy! It does seem as if energy manifests itself through electrical systems. My brother was an electrician. I can tell you stories from various family members about how he seems to make himself known via lighting or other electrical sources. Lights flashing on and off on certain days or when we are gathered for our annual family holiday party, a weird electronic parking meter flashing the word DEAD on his first birthday after his death, lights turning themselves off and on in the middle of the night in his granddaughter's bedroom...

I'll just leave you with this most recent one I heard from my niece, my late bro's daughter. She was in college when he died, and she is now married with two little girls who of course never met their grandfather.

When her older one was three, she walked by her room and her daughter was talking to herself inside. My niece laughed and said, "Who are you talking to?" Her daughter said, "Poppy", the name for her paternal grandfather. My niece said, "Poppy's not here. He's at his house with Grandma." My great-niece said, "Not THAT Poppy, the other one who plays with the lights."

Roll your eyes all you want, folks.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:18 PM

I explained how I've seen this work from the standpoint of the one giving the help or insight or whatever you want to call it, and there's also what the guy in that TED Talk explained, and here too we might consider what a psychic might admit...

Psychic Hot Line Secrets: Clairvoyance or Hoax?

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend/p...ry?id=10590096

What all might cause someone to roll their eyes and about what? Seems to depend, but whether it's about this or haunted houses or name your "believe it or not," no doubt there's plenty of energy to go around.

I guess I simply tend to be more like the people in Missouri...

Old 08-27-2019, 01:28 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I explained how I've seen this work from the standpoint of the one giving the help or insight or whatever you want to call it, and there's also what the guy in that TED Talk explained, and here too we might consider what a psychic might admit...

Psychic Hot Line Secrets: Clairvoyance or Hoax?

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend/p...ry?id=10590096

What all might cause someone to roll their eyes and about what? Seems to depend, but whether it's about this or haunted houses or name your "believe it or not," no doubt there's plenty of energy to go around.

I guess I simply tend to be more like the people in Missouri...
But that's a psychic hotline, and we all know how they operate, or at least we hope they do. That's old news and really doesn't address what any of us here have said about our own experiences. No one here used a psychic hotline.

I'm very skeptical of these things, which is why I was stunned at the "second cousin who died in childhood". Interested in how you would have explained such an accurate guess on the part of the psychic. Remember, she didn't know me, didn't have my name in advance (and even if she did, this isn't something you could find on social media or anything) and said this within a minute of my sitting down in her little room.

That is what made that sense of shock roll up my spine.

I could see someone fishing with "someone who died in your childhood that you were close to..." because most kids have at least experienced the death of a grandparent or someone. But was she just that lucky getting such an oddball relationship correctly and identifying the person as someone who died when we were both children? What psychic who wanted to stay in business would take that risk? And to what end?

Also, I wasn't going there to have her tell me what "spirits" might be hanging around me. I was going there for a Tarot card reading, and that's all.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:57 PM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times
In my case I find it odd that a rear phone glitch - the first time ever - happens just as I call out and that particular message. But I'll accept that it was just an odd coincidence. Fine, then as I am trying to post that image, Chrome goes on the blink, and it blinked! I reboot and it's all still there, including the opening sentence. I add another line at the bottom and it jumps to that first line, deleting it. One can see how weird it all seems. Still just coincidence? Well, I have no choice but to accept it was just a coincidental computer glitch. These do happen from time to time although this one was unusual. The rest of the computer still worked.

Then there was the incident when I met my son't casket at the airport. That one was nothing physical

Old 08-28-2019, 02:24 AM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
In my case I find it odd that a rear phone glitch - the first time ever - happens just as I call out and that particular message. But I'll accept that it was just an odd coincidence. Fine, then as I am trying to post that image, Chrome goes on the blink, and it blinked! I reboot and it's all still there, including the opening sentence. I add another line at the bottom and it jumps to that first line, deleting it. One can see how weird it all seems. Still just coincidence? Well, I have no choice but to accept it was just a coincidental computer glitch. These do happen from time to time although this one was unusual. The rest of the computer still worked.

Then there was the incident when I met my son't casket at the airport. That one was nothing physical
Typos!
*rare
*son's

Old 08-28-2019, 06:43 AM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:

so you ask for a sign.
and you get a sign.

then you say you have "no choice" but to call it "coincidence"

you just don't like the other choices.
that your dear son your beloved son is saying "i love you dad, i'm here dad, i'm fine dad, i want you to know that dad"

you don't like that choice because _________ (fill in the blank)

and there are more incidents! so tell us about the casket at the airport.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:58 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,773 times
It is hard for people to trust things. We're living in a world that diminishes and ridicules anything that comes from being receptive to more subtle things. We want answers, we want proof and we want it now. This is the time we are living in. It is skewed in favor of logic to the point these other things are ridiculed and not supported. So yea people are afraid to trust that there is anything else out there. It is easier to think something is just a coincidence than to risk being called an idiot.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But that's a psychic hotline, and we all know how they operate, or at least we hope they do. That's old news and really doesn't address what any of us here have said about our own experiences. No one here used a psychic hotline.

I'm very skeptical of these things, which is why I was stunned at the "second cousin who died in childhood". Interested in how you would have explained such an accurate guess on the part of the psychic. Remember, she didn't know me, didn't have my name in advance (and even if she did, this isn't something you could find on social media or anything) and said this within a minute of my sitting down in her little room.

That is what made that sense of shock roll up my spine.

I could see someone fishing with "someone who died in your childhood that you were close to..." because most kids have at least experienced the death of a grandparent or someone. But was she just that lucky getting such an oddball relationship correctly and identifying the person as someone who died when we were both children? What psychic who wanted to stay in business would take that risk? And to what end?

Also, I wasn't going there to have her tell me what "spirits" might be hanging around me. I was going there for a Tarot card reading, and that's all.
I explained in general terms before, but okay...

Specifically with respect to what has you convinced your experience was really "psychic," a) we can't all be as confident about what others tell us (or don't tell us) about such experiences, but I will assume here that I know all I need to know, so we can move past the need for me to witness the event myself as most of us do to be convinced about such things, b) again, ultimately, it's "the numbers game" which means the odds are good something said by the psychic during the exchange will resonate with the client. Not always but enough times to cause enough clients to leave thinking something psychic actually occurred. "The second cousin who died in childhood" might be close enough for enough people who lost someone close during childhood to think this is about that first cousin or very close friend or whomever died at a young age, because most people who lean toward believing such things will believe the psychic is "close enough." In your case, spot on, but with you and all the others for whom this is "close enough," the psychic chocks up another hit, c) what I don't know is what all else was said that wasn't at all "close enough." If the psychic goes from one thing to the next waiting to touch on something that resonates with you, knowing you will fixate on that one thing and forget about all the rest, again the numbers game works, because you talk about enough things, and SOMETHING is going to be a "spot on" hit or close enough, d) I could go on, but what of any of this for starters are you willing to accept as "close enough" to be true?

Maybe even better, what do you think about reading all you can certainly find yourself about the truth or fiction about all this...

"Whether this is down to lack of analytical skills, genuine experiences, or just in a bid to make the world a little bit more interesting, it seems believers will continue to believe – despite science indicating otherwise."
The science of why so many people believe in psychic powers

I Went To A Psychic And Then Found Out How Right She Really Was
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...on-statistics/

Old 08-28-2019, 10:44 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I explained in general terms before, but okay...

Specifically with respect to what has you convinced your experience was really "psychic," a) we can't all be as confident about what others tell us (or don't tell us) about such experiences, but I will assume here that I know all I need to know, so we can move past the need for me to witness the event myself as most of us do to be convinced about such things, b) again, ultimately, it's "the numbers game" which means the odds are good something said by the psychic during the exchange will resonate with the client. Not always but enough times to cause enough clients to leave thinking something psychic actually occurred. "The second cousin who died in childhood" might be close enough for enough people who lost someone close during childhood to think this is about that first cousin or very close friend or whomever died at a young age, because most people who lean toward believing such things will believe the psychic is "close enough." In your case, spot on, but with you and all the others for whom this is "close enough," the psychic chocks up another hit, c) what I don't know is what all else was said that wasn't at all "close enough." If the psychic goes from one thing to the next waiting to touch on something that resonates with you, knowing you will fixate on that one thing and forget about all the rest, again the numbers game works, because you talk about enough things, and SOMETHING is going to be a "spot on" hit or close enough, d) I could go on, but what of any of this for starters are you willing to accept as "close enough" to be true?

Maybe even better, what do you think about reading all you can certainly find yourself about the truth or fiction about all this...

"Whether this is down to lack of analytical skills, genuine experiences, or just in a bid to make the world a little bit more interesting, it seems believers will continue to believe – despite science indicating otherwise."
The science of why so many people believe in psychic powers

I Went To A Psychic And Then Found Out How Right She Really Was
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...on-statistics/
Your numbers game rationale presumes there is no psychic ability extant and relies on the likelihood that most are phony hucksters (which is probably true). What MQ is allowing for (which most open-minded people would) is that there actually are genuine psychics out there among the hucksters (which is something you reject because of the prevalence of hucksters).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality