Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2020, 10:12 AM

1,480 posts, read 480,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It has long seemed to me that in terms of both tone and substance, the old and new testaments are starkly clashing. I look at the ot and see a book filled with hate, retribution, revenge, murder, etc. I look at the nt and see a book more aligned with love and forgiveness. And it has almost seemed to me as if the writers of the nt said we're gonna make a new start, but we have to make some connections to the ot or lose the old crowd completely. The trouble is, stark changes in a philosophy usually cause drastic upheaval and confusion.
What you are noticing in your post is the turn around that God brings about and fulfills, of which God said before the flood; And it repented the Lord that he had made man on earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And also said; My Spirit will not contend with man forever for he is mortal, his days will be a hundred and twenty years.

Before the flood lawlessness abounded, as you can see that Lamech justified murder by the mercy that God showed Cain after he murdered Abel, as Lamech said; I have killed a man for wounding me, a young man for injuring me. If Cain is avenged seven times, then Lamech seventy-seven times...

...After the flood God makes a Covenant with Noah and establishes law and an accounting on earth.

In the words God shared with Noah after the flood, I see that I am answerable to God, and I love that.

The world can bastardize me all they want, but God doesn't.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:28 AM

50,827 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
What you are noticing in your post is the turn around that God brings about and fulfills, of which God said before the flood; And it repented the Lord that he had made man on earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And also said; My Spirit will not contend with man forever for he is mortal, his days will be a hundred and twenty years.

Before the flood lawlessness abounded, as you can see that Lamech justified murder by the mercy that God showed Cain after he murdered Abel, as Lamech said; I have killed a man for wounding me, a young man for injuring me. If Cain is avenged seven times, then Lamech seventy-seven times...

...After the flood God makes a Covenant with Noah and establishes law and an accounting on earth.

In the words God shared with Noah after the flood, I see that I am answerable to God, and I love that.

No, because I don't believe in the flood, or cain and able, or lamech, or noah. So that's not what I'm noticing. I am noticing fable themes.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:31 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,717 times
Quote:
It has long seemed to me that in terms of both tone and substance, the old and new testaments are starkly clashing. I look at the ot and see a book filled with hate, retribution, revenge, murder, etc. I look at the nt and see a book more aligned with love and forgiveness. And it has almost seemed to me as if the writers of the nt said we're gonna make a new start, but we have to make some connections to the ot or lose the old crowd completely. The trouble is, stark changes in a philosophy usually cause drastic upheaval and confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post

OR... we could go with the much more obvious, simpler explanation... not requiring any imagination or extrapolation or conjecture or supernatural intervention or suspension of reason or even reliance on ancient tales. Something like "The OT and NT are different because they are different collections of stories, written at different times by different authors for different audiences and different purposes."

Occam's Razor is your friend.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:44 AM

50,827 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
OR... we could go with the much more obvious, simpler explanation... not requiring any imagination or extrapolation or conjecture or supernatural intervention or suspension of reason or even reliance on ancient tales. Something like "The OT and NT are different because they are different collections of stories, written at different times by different authors for different audiences and different purposes."

Occam's Razor is your friend.
As long as we agree it's fiction.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:45 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
"The world can bastardize me all they want" Does this outlook include other believers?

Old 02-09-2020, 10:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
No, it’s an awkward slogan without any meaning. It’s a substitution of one form of mysticism with another. Wooism has the same faults as deism. Just another form of claims with no evidence. In fact, kind of worse, since the assertions and claims are foggy-brained and vague, like believing in ghosts and other nonsense like that. And, repeating a hackneyed slogan in nearly every post does not make it any less ridiculous.
no, it most certifiably is not marc. what these people are experiencing is real, its just not what they think it is.

leave the deity and mystic garbage out. I don't care about that stuff.

what about the system around us describes why people think they are connected to something much larger, smarter, and alive? and is that answer more valid, based on science, than taking your approach where we need to just call it mystic BS?

Old 02-09-2020, 10:58 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
"The world can bastardize me all they want" Does this outlook include other believers?
I tend to ask why they are doing it. List what they are saying and why they are saying it right next to my claims.

lmao, I know, I know I said that already.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:02 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I tend to ask why they are doing it. List what they are saying and why they are saying it right next to my claims.

lmao, I know, I know I said that already.
Doing what? Why people are bastardizing others? Or why people believe they are being bastardized?

Old 02-09-2020, 11:08 AM

1,480 posts, read 480,412 times
Quote:
No, because I don't believe in the flood, or cain and able, or lamech, or noah. So that's not what I'm noticing. I am noticing fable themes.
That's fine. I just want say that I believe in all the people I write to. I wouldn't bother if I didn't.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:13 AM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
OR... we could go with the much more obvious, simpler explanation... not requiring any imagination or extrapolation or conjecture or supernatural intervention or suspension of reason or even reliance on ancient tales. Something like "The OT and NT are different because they are different collections of stories, written at different times by different authors for different audiences and different purposes.".
Quote:
As long as we agree it's fiction.
"Do unto others" "thou shalt not steal" "love your neighbor" "thou shalt not commit adultery"
that is fiction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality