Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2019, 09:03 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Wonder if this guy converted, from 2010;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc42CZcQlts
Have you ever met someone that believed in and practiced Haitian Voodoo? Practitioners of Haitian Voodoo believe in a creator God they call Bondye or Bon Dieu, meaning "good God." If you have ever met a practitioner of Haitian Voodoo, or should happen to meet one in the future, do you suppose that you will convert and become a practitioner of Haitian Voodoo?

Or are you unaffected by the nonsense that others believe?

Old 09-28-2019, 03:25 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Have you ever met someone that believed in and practiced Haitian Voodoo? Practitioners of Haitian Voodoo believe in a creator God they call Bondye or Bon Dieu, meaning "good God." If you have ever met a practitioner of Haitian Voodoo, or should happen to meet one in the future, do you suppose that you will convert and become a practitioner of Haitian Voodoo?

Maybe this is a topic of interest to both of us. I've have had long discussions with a voodoo junior priest and learned quite a bit about it. I don't see it as nonsense. How much do you know about it?

Old 09-28-2019, 10:28 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post

Good point, and for the record I am yet to come across someone trying to proselytise Haitian voodoo at this stage.
FWIW, the Christian apologist in the video I would have little in common with either, being from a Catholic background and would hence need to be "evangelised" in his book.
Here is just an example of how some Christians try to convert Atheist, and the major differences involved.
I seriously doubt the surfer dude would be a Christian today.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The surfer is doing his best, but Ray is a crafty apologist. He is able to trip the Surfer up time after time. Surfer tries to brazen his way out of it, but Ray sees the whole board and the surfer is blocked off pretty much all ways.

But an experienced Atheist apologist could do the same to Ry. That's why he avoids debating experienced atheist apologists (like his one 'phone -in to Matt Dillahunty) and goes for easier targets like this fellow who did ok, but , it just wasn't enough
The same reason he goes to university or college campuses, and tries to debate and convert cultural or "Cafeteria" Catholics as well.
Ray has a sneaky way of making someone feel guilty, and making them admit to being a "lying, blaspheming, adulterous thief", and that they are going to go to Hell as a result of it.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:36 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
The same reason he goes to university or college campuses, and tries to debate and convert cultural or "Cafeteria" Catholics as well.
Ray has a sneaky way of making someone feel guilty, and making them admit to being a "lying, blaspheming, adulterous thief", and that they are going to go to Hell as a result of it.
You don't even realize that when a person begins to know himself in that deeper way, it is a the beginning of salvation. It's discovering something that everyone shares, but unfortunately not everyone wants to admit about themselves.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Here's the problem with the interviewer -- he's not listening to the surfer. He keeps interrupting him and telling him "That's not the point".

Why does the surfer's point have to be the same as they christian interviewer's point?

Which one of those men in trying to dominate the other?
Agreed, this is a one way conversation and very much rehearsed and scripted by the interviewer, who is not interested in the "why's", that someone may be an Atheist or a Non-believer.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:24 PM

50,828 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Agreed, this is a one way conversation and very much rehearsed and scripted by the interviewer, who is not interested in the "why's", that someone may be an Atheist or a Non-believer.
And essentially, the interviewer is talking down to the surfer and using the surfer.

Don't get me wrong. The surfer didn't seem to be very bright. But people have a right to be not bright. But the interviewer was out to "set" someone. On the attack.

I suppose some might say that a duo talk show (I think it's radio) that I've seen a couple of vids of that is hosted by atheists is the same thing. Except it's not. Because in that case people are calling in to talk to the atheists...they know what the show is about. At least it's honest.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:17 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You don't even realize that when a person begins to know himself in that deeper way, it is a the beginning of salvation. It's discovering something that everyone shares, but unfortunately not everyone wants to admit about themselves.
Oh no, another Ozzy fact.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And essentially, the interviewer is talking down to the surfer and using the surfer.

Don't get me wrong. The surfer didn't seem to be very bright. But people have a right to be not bright. But the interviewer was out to "set" someone. On the attack.

I suppose some might say that a duo talk show (I think it's radio) that I've seen a couple of vids of that is hosted by atheists is the same thing. Except it's not. Because in that case people are calling in to talk to the atheists...they know what the show is about. At least it's honest.
The surfer just wants to enjoy his life right now, and "die happy", in his own words.
He seems fairly easygoing, and not too worried about anything, including death! (although the interviewer tries to persuade him otherwise)
Does he need to look for a deeper meaning to life?
That is debatable from both sides of the spectrum.
The surfer guy also seems to adhere to a "pantheist" type of view, God of whatever form is everywhere, which does not go down well with the Evangelical interviewer.

Last edited by Derek41; 09-29-2019 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: Edit - "Pantheist"

Old 09-29-2019, 01:43 AM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times
The Evangelical interviewer pulled a very dirty move on the surfer. Spell 'stop'. What do you do at a green light? Ok, sneaky trick but is that all he's got? Sneaky little tricks? Sounds devilish to me.

But the surfer told him where to go using words one does find in the bible. He had far more restraint than I would have had - one can see his irritation and his wanting to use profanities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality