Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 10:13 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,345,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Really? Telling us we can't practice our religion isn't an issue with you?

I see what you did there. That's called a "strawman argument". It would be nice if you'd be honest with us, but I've come to see that it simply won't happen.

No one is being a bigot. We just want to live life, and practice our religion.

Of course not. Racial discrimination is discrimination based on skin color and has been collectively viewed as wrong for decades.

No one is suggesting that Christians have a right to discriminate against gay people. There you go being dishonest again.
What about discrimination based on religion? Can the good Christian baker refuse service for Jews, Muslims or Hindu? Can he refuse it based on nationality? Based on disability? Only based on sexual orientation is fine with you?

And yet gays and lesbians can get married in Christian Churches. But you think a Christian baker is following his religion by refusing to bake a wedding cake for a wedding that was conducted in a Christian church? And you don't think discrimination against a class of people based on an attribute that 8s a protected class is bigotry?

Old 08-27-2019, 10:14 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,076,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You said: "No one is suggesting that anyone discriminate against a protected class."

Aren't you aware by now that sexual orientation is a protected class in Oregon?
You have yet to establish that there was discrimination against them on the basis of being homosexual.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:16 AM

16,742 posts, read 15,757,959 times
Quote:
You have yet to establish that there was discrimination against them on the basis of being homosexual.
In the Oregon case, that was clearly established. If you don't remember previous discussions (in which the entire court papers were linked), go look them up and read it.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
In the Oregon case, that was clearly established. If you don't remember previous discussions (in which the entire court papers were linked), go look them up and read it.
I know the accusations. I have not heard any statement from the baker saying that. Have you?

Old 08-27-2019, 10:18 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,260,665 times
Quote:
Won't matter if he does. It'll just bounce off his brain.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:19 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,616,157 times
Quote:
No one is suggesting that anyone discriminate against a protected class. To suggest that is to continue to demonstrate a lack of integrity in attempting to understand the issue.

Again, please see above comment.
Oh, so now you are saying that we can discriminate against people, just not a "protected class". I'm sure your God is proud of you, BF.

Quote:
Please produce the quote of me saying that. I've said the baker should be able to refuse to cater a wedding, or bake a cake for a wedding. That is different than discriminating against gay people.
No, it isn't, when you are clearly only talking about gay couples being refused. Your continued lack of honesty doesn't change that. Your continued push for legal discrimination by Christians doesn't change that either.

Quote:
Do you have some kind of intellectual difficulty understanding the difference?
Obviously you are the one lacking in intellect, BF.

Quote:
Again, to discriminate against a race is to violate a law, and it's racist.

But that isn't happening here.
So now you only care if it is against the law? What happened to all your grandstanding about religious freedom and moral convictions?

Quote:
And you seem to be incapable of understanding basic elementary logic.

The baker makes wedding cakes.
The baker refuses to make wedding cakes for a ceremony he has a moral and religious objection to.

It's quite simple. To continue to bang that drum shows a complete dishonesty on your part.
And again, his moral convictions are irrelevant. Discrimination is discrimination, whether you do it because you are stupid, or religious, or both, doesn't matter. If you sell a product to one group, you have to sell to the other group.

If you have moral convictions that don't allow you to do so, then you should either stop selling that item, or get into another business. Your moral convictions don't give you a free pass, regardless of how much you want them too.

Your continued push for legal discrimination against gays is just sad... Shows how little you fundies care for your fellow man. It's quite sad and pathetic.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:20 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,088,474 times
Quote:
I know the accusations. I have not heard any statement from the baker saying that. Have you?
So only a direct statement from the baker saying that he was discriminating on the basis of homosexuality is sufficient evidence for you?

That is a standard of evidence that no court in this country holds. Congratulations on behind unique.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Oh, so now you are saying that we can discriminate against people, just not a "protected class". I'm sure your God is proud of you, BF.

No, it isn't, when you are clearly only talking about gay couples being refused. Your continued lack of honesty doesn't change that. Your continued push for legal discrimination by Christians doesn't change that either.

Obviously you are the one lacking in intellect, BF.

So now you only care if it is against the law? What happened to all your grandstanding about religious freedom and moral convictions?

And again, his moral convictions are irrelevant. Discrimination is discrimination, whether you do it because you are stupid, or religious, or both, doesn't matter. If you sell a product to one group, you have to sell to the other group.

If you have moral convictions that don't allow you to do so, then you should either stop selling that item, or get into another business. Your moral convictions don't give you a free pass, regardless of how much you want them too.

Your continued push for legal discrimination against gays is just sad... Shows how little you fundies care for your fellow man. It's quite sad and pathetic.
At this point I'm done with this issue. You've shown no effort to bother to comprehend the argument. You instead simply restate my position and change it to something else i can't and won't argue with such a dishonest person.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
...snip...

But par for the course with fundies. They only have empathy for their fellow bigots.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
At this point I'm done with this issue. You've shown no effort to bother to comprehend the argument. You instead simply restate my position and change it to something else i can't and won't argue with such a dishonest person.
LOL!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality