Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 10:24 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,608,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I know the accusations. I have not heard any statement from the baker saying that. Have you?
Are you trolling, or really this ignorant? That is an actual question, by the way, because it has to be one or the other. You sound like you are turning into Finn with all these word games and mental gymnastics you are going through to try and justify bigotry and discrimination.

They turned the couple away because they were gay. Period. Wedding or no wedding, if they were straight, they wouldn't have turned them away. Your continued ignorance on the subject is equal parts astounding, and hard to believe it is genuine.

The only thing that matters, is that the baker turned them away because they were gay. Wedding or no wedding is irrelevant, since the bakers were not asked to come to the wedding, praise the wedding, or anything of the sort. Small minds....

Old 08-27-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
At this point I'm done with this issue. You've shown no effort to bother to comprehend the argument. You instead simply restate my position and change it to something else i can't and won't argue with such a dishonest person.
I comprehend the argument just fine. The problem is, your argument is ridiculously stupid. It boils down to:

A. The baker is Christian, and should be able to turn away gay people if they feel it violates some moral code.
- But not anyone else, only gay people, cuz that would be wrong.
B. You claim the baker doesn't care if they are gay, only that they are getting married.
- Problem is, if he didn't care if they were gay, he wouldn't care about the wedding or making the cake either.
C. You change your position based off of who is being discriminated against, and who is doing the discriminating.
- This is merely playing word games, which always end with, "Christians should be able to do whatever they want, as long as they claim it goes against their religion".

Sorry you can't make a cogent argument that I haven't torn to shreds, but you are free to run away if you want.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:46 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times
Quote:
You have yet to establish that there was discrimination against them on the basis of being homosexual.

Quote:
A state appeals court in Colorado ruled Thursday that a baker (Masterpiece Cakeshop) could not cite religious beliefs in refusing to make wedding cakes for same-sex couples.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/14/u...x-couples.html

And they never requested a "specific" cake either:
Quote:
Craig and Mullins promptly left Masterpiece without discussing with Phillips any of the details of their wedding cake.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master...hts_Commission

They never even mentioned what kind of cake. The two men just showed up and asked for a wedding cake.

But the anti-God justices of the SCOTUS decided there was reasonable "evidence," in this particular case, not that Phillips was correct in exercising his "freedom," but that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission made their decision that it was an illegal act based on the Commission's prejudice.

But you don't think Phillips was discriminating on the BASIS of being homosexual. Who else gets same-sex married? And just because he was willing to make cupcakes for gays for a birthday doesn't mean Phillips isn't a discriminatory bigot.

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.

You support injustice toward homosexuals, because you have absolutely no fear of being denied any kind of service anywhere for any reason as an "evangelical."

Hypocrite.

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” MLK, Jr.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You support injustice toward homosexuals, because you have absolutely no fear of being denied any kind of service anywhere for any reason as an "evangelical."

Hypocrite.
I just wanted to acknowledge this part of your post, Warden. This is really what it all boils down too. It is the same reason they cry about not having monuments erected at a courthouse and whatnot. You ask them about it, and they say, "Well, if it were a Muslim majority area, they could do what they wanted", or something like that. They can say this because they know they will never see that in their areas, so they are comfortable in saying that.

Same with this issue. They are perfectly fine with discriminatory practices against gay people, but try asking them about literally anyone else. They say, "That's not the same". They are hypocrites, each and every one of them that thinks like that.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:00 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times
Quote:
At this point I'm done with this issue. You've shown no effort to bother to comprehend the argument. You instead simply restate my position and change it to something else i can't and won't argue with such a dishonest person.
Yes, you've shown as do most other fundies, that you haven't the balls to stand up for your beliefs, just run away when faced with adversity.

But here is an honest question--and BACK to the OP---should Kim Davis, fine, upstanding, "christian" that she is, obey Jesus BIBLICAL words--

Quote:
And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.
Matt. 5:40

And why wasn't the "bible-believing" baker not obligated to do the same when taken to court?

You have a hypo-biblo-critical view of Jesus' words when they don't suit you, don't you.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Yes, you've shown as do most other fundies, that you haven't the balls to stand up for your beliefs, just run away when faced with adversity.
Little ole me scared him away... Guess he is another fundie who can't take an outspoken and passionate woman. How boring their lives must be...

Quote:
But here is an honest question--and BACK to the OP---should Kim Davis, fine, upstanding, "christian" that she is, obey Jesus BIBLICAL words--

Matt. 5:40

And why wasn't the "bible-believing" baker not obligated to do the same when taken to court?

You have a hypo-biblo-critical view of Jesus' words when they don't suit you, don't you.
No, no, no, Warden... That isn't one of their carefully selected verses they want to follow.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:11 AM

50,869 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Logic is useless when dealing with bigots.
I think that he also shouldn't make cakes for christians who have had sex before marriage.

Oops. There goes the business!

Old 08-27-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think that he also shouldn't make cakes for christians who have had sex before marriage.

Oops. There goes the business!
Or the ones on their 2nd/3rd/4th/etc marriage, since his own Bible tells him that this is adultery...

Old 08-27-2019, 11:16 AM

11,036 posts, read 5,995,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
You seem not to care about the rights of "incest-people" or do they have no rights because they bring forth disabled children?

Married couples have tax-benefits, this means gay marriage costs society money and that the government funds a lifestyle that is Biblical unacceptable, this brings the whole nation under the wrath of God.

The acceptance of homoexuality has a bad influence on society as a whole which is as much a political topic as it is a religious, not only religious people reject homosexual marriage.

I consider people like you worse than actual homosexuals since you encourage them to sin which might be worse than to sin only by oneself.
That should read "marriage costs society money." Period. Are you married?

If you feel the lifestyle is biblically unacceptable then do what has been done since the beginning - change the bible.

If you feel that society should be governed by what you consider the wrath of God then you need to prove that this god exists in the first place and secondly, that this god actually has wrath over the matter.

How exactly does the acceptance of homosexuality have a bad influence on society as a whole?

Here is what I think, if you don't approve of same sex marriage, then don't. No one is forcing you to have a partner of the same sex.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:19 AM

88,622 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The funny thing about that is that the only time I've personally witnessed anyone trying to prevent a religious group from practicing their religion was when several christian churches tried to manipulate zoning laws to prevent Buddhist temples from being built in neighborhoods where there were already christian churches.
It happened in my hometown. A Christian Reformed church had closed/merged with another, and the building was bought by a Muslim congregation as a prayer center. Some people in town challenged it and tried every which way to keep the Muslims from using that building, complaining about traffic, lights, all the stuff that was already there when it was still a church. I watched some video on TV and was very pleased to see a few long-time residents stand up and speak for the Muslims alongside some young people. They opened their prayer center, and now it's all just a big yawn.

And then there was the completely stupid mess, fueled by the Enquirer-like New York Post, over a similar prayer center in lower Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality