Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2021, 12:37 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
why would you expect someone else to "give you evidence" instead of validating it and verifying it for yourself? That is the equivalent of relying on someone else to do your thinking for you. relying on others to tell you what to think and what to believe.
Not really. By giving me the evidence, which its oldest sense means "to see", I would be able to see the same thing they are seeing. Then from there, I can decide if what I am seeing supports what they are saying. I am not going to reinvent the wheel in all cases.

I have a daughter who struggled with math and reading. People would recommend this and that. I did not see the connection of how their recommendations would help my daughter. And so I did have to reinvent the wheel for some things. It was very personal and it does not have to apply to other children who struggle as well and most certainly not a necessity for children who do not struggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 12:50 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Not really. By giving me the evidence, which its oldest sense means "to see", I would be able to see the same thing they are seeing. Then from there, I can decide if what I am seeing supports what they are saying. I am not going to reinvent the wheel in all cases.

I have a daughter who struggled with math and reading. People would recommend this and that. I did not see the connection of how their recommendations would help my daughter. And so I did have to reinvent the wheel for some things. It was very personal and it does not have to apply to other children who struggle as well and most certainly not a necessity for children who do not struggle.
someone else can't "see" for you or see on your behalf.
any more than someone can learn for you and earn a university degree on your behalf. or go to dance lessons and learn how to dance on your behalf. or meditate and gain inner peace on your behalf.

Old 12-19-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
someone else can't "see" for you or see on your behalf.
any more than someone can learn for you and earn a university degree on your behalf. or go to dance lessons and learn how to dance on your behalf. or meditate and gain inner peace on your behalf.
You forget that I called evidence a gift. Not a demand.

Old 12-19-2021, 01:05 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
You forget that I called evidence a gift. Not a demand.
knowing something, understanding, is not acquired by someone "giving it to you."
it is acquired by a person actively engaging, participating, validating, and verifying.

otherwise it remains hearsay.
hearsay = taking someone else's word for it

Old 12-19-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
knowing something is not acquired by someone "giving it to you."
it is acquired by a person actively engaging, participating, validating, and verifying.

Yes and no.

I may have agreed 100% with you years ago, but after meeting up with a very specific group of people, I am not so inclined to hold fast to that position.

Old 12-19-2021, 05:05 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
I will address this on the possibility that it is a serious answer. There is no doubt that in some cultures people expect apologies. Parents often tell their children to apologize. I don't enforce it, therefore, I am taking a guess here that it is not a universal expectation. While it is nice to do so and preferred in many places of the world and for good reasons, apologizing didn't work for me in my environment. I refuse to do anything that doesn't work for me and I will accept the consequences.

As far as evidence, the word has a negative connotation for some. For me, it's a great gift a person can give me.

My response was in jest, my apologies. I thought it was evident.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:49 PM

884 posts, read 357,560 times
Quote:
knowing something, understanding, is not acquired by someone "giving it to you."

hearsay = taking someone else's word for it
If I go out and look at the horizon the Earth seems flat (with a few undulations). That is my direct, first person perception.

There is a whole load of evidence the Earth is not flat. But that is all independent evidence - photographs, third party accounts, scientific calculations, models. None of that is my direct perception.

So should I stick with my direct perceptions, or independently verify and validate my perceptions? You may disagree, but I think I would be a fool to merely trust my perception without independent validation.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
My response was in jest, my apologies. I thought it was evident.
Thanks, Cb2008. I thought so but I have been surprised before.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:17 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
I will address this on the possibility that it is a serious answer. There is no doubt that in some cultures people expect apologies. Parents often tell their children to apologize. I don't enforce it, therefore, I am taking a guess here that it is not a universal expectation. While it is nice to do so and preferred in many places of the world and for good reasons, apologizing didn't work for me in my environment. I refuse to do anything that doesn't work for me and I will accept the consequences.

As far as evidence, the word has a negative connotation for some. For me, it's a great gift a person can give me.

Do you have an example of what universal truth might be? My best example is this: an apple falls towards Earth because of gravity. It crosses all beliefs systems.
Your example works as well as any...

Earth is round and not flat -- another universal truth AKA "crossing all belief systems." I like that too!

Old 12-20-2021, 08:20 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
why would you expect someone else to "give you evidence" instead of validating it and verifying it for yourself? That is the equivalent of relying on someone else to do your thinking for you. relying on others to tell you what to think and what to believe.
Fair enough and in the same way when someone else suggests I should think or believe something without providing any good evidence or justification to do so, what good reason is there to believe such a claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality