Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 05:32 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's one nice thing about the antique malls. Often people that sell there don't really know what they have. I have seen a few that were so expensive I wouldn't think of it, but others have been very reasonable.
Well, I'll certainly be on the lookout if I ever make to anything indoors again, lol. Being super cautious these days. But you never know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 05:33 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Well, I'll certainly be on the lookout if I ever make to anything indoors again, lol. Being super cautious these days. But you never know!
I know. I have been debating about my first trip to one of the antique malls since the covid crisis began, and just can't bring myself to do it.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I know. I have been debating about my first trip to one of the antique malls since the covid crisis began, and just can't bring myself to do it.
I hear ya. I'm dying to go to our little thrift store. But . . .

Old 06-15-2020, 05:51 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I hear ya. I'm dying to go to our little thrift store. But . . .
I do have to tell you about one near crisis in my hunting for Buddhas to rescue. I bought a reddish colored Buddha one day and got it home and started to do some research. It was either a true cinnabar Buddha, or a fake cinnabar Buddha, but based on my sense of its density, I think it was real cinnabar, which some Chinese Buddhas have been made of in the past. Cinnabar is just about the single most toxic mineral there is. Oops! So, every few months it is spray painted with gold paint and it sits outside my bedroom window in a cactus garden.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I do have to tell you about one near crisis in my hunting for Buddhas to rescue. I bought a reddish colored Buddha one day and got it home and started to do some research. It was either a true cinnabar Buddha, or a fake cinnabar Buddha, but based on my sense of its density, I think it was real cinnabar, which some Chinese Buddhas have been made of in the past. Cinnabar is just about the single most toxic mineral there is. Oops! So, every few months it is spray painted with gold paint and it sits outside my bedroom window in a cactus garden.
Oh no!

Old 06-16-2020, 06:14 AM

1,754 posts, read 755,134 times
By the definition of the word altar I do have one, but never considered it one before.

I just tape up pieces of paper to my wall with a variety of things. On the wall it helps me see them and put them into better practice.

1, Favorite Jesus teachings as a reminder to follow him.

2, A list for me to write down what I did for Jesus each day.

3, A list for me to write down what I did for the Holy Spirt each day.

4, A list of something that I can improve on for God each day.

It also helps me with expectant waiting if I am not doing that in nature, where I prefer.

After I moved in with my not religious bf, he had to put up with my papering half of an entire wall in our bedroom so I can make these lists. He is way too kind to me, I have to be extremely annoying with my religious practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Not exactly and alter but I have collection of gifts from my son that I regard as an altar to him. They are place around my computer screen. I remember the moments he gave them to me.

Then I have this small white box next to my bed with a photo of my late son. I don't suppose that is what was meant by 'altar'.

Both of my 'altars' have bittersweet meaning to me ( I actually lost both my sons - only one to death. The other has come back, damaged but alive).
You are a good person and I am sure your son is proud looking down on you.

As you know, I lost my mom, sometimes I feel as if the past is still alive in an unexplainable way and somewhere I am in a moment where a younger me is in her arms being rocked and sung to sleep.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:37 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Ok gotcha. You should have then given some context for the rest of us latecomers, no?
I thought that my explanation was context enough. Why did it need more?

Old 06-16-2020, 09:26 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Some years ago a golden Buddha statue was scanned and it revealed the perfectly encased bones and pieces of flesh supposedly belonging to a monk.

https://www.livescience.com/49909-bu...lds-mummy.html

Old 06-16-2020, 09:30 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Some years ago a golden Buddha statue was scanned and it revealed the perfectly encased bones and pieces of flesh supposedly belonging to a monk.

https://www.livescience.com/49909-bu...lds-mummy.html

Looks like jimmy hoffa

Old 06-16-2020, 10:51 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Damn me, that's one way to hide a stiff. I'll have to look into that a bit more. The site was one of those 'You can't read us us until you sign away your privacy -rights' sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality