Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 09:55 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,711,345 times

Advertisements

Fewer Americans identify as Christian than a decade ago.

Quote:
The religious landscape of the United States continues to change at a rapid clip. In Pew Research Center telephone surveys conducted in 2018 and 2019, 65% of American adults describe themselves as Christians when asked about their religion, down 12 percentage points over the past decade. Meanwhile, the religiously unaffiliated share of the population, consisting of people who describe their religious identity as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular,” now stands at 26%, up from 17% in 2009.
https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/...at-rapid-pace/

The data also shows a slight increase in non-Christian faiths. This appears to be from Hindus (up to 1% from less-than-1% a decade ago) and 'other non-Christians' (up to 3% from 2%). Jews, Muslims, and Buddhists are holding steady. Also, within Christianity the Mormons are keeping pace.

The percentage of Catholics among Hispanics has fallen 10%. Among Hispanics, Protestantism has gained 1%, non-Christian faiths have gained 2%, and 8% have joined the ranks of the unaffiliated.

Men and whites remain less religious than women and non-whites, though church attendance and rates of adherence has fallen among all these groups. There is dramatic difference between Democrats/liberals and Republicans/conservatives, of course. Interestingly, among Democrats blacks are far more likely to identify as Christian than whites, but among Republicans whites are somewhat more likely than blacks to so identify.

While the number of born agains/evangelicals is dropping, they are dropping at a slower rate than Protestants overall, such that they comprise an increasing proportion of that group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 09:55 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Yes. The posers are simply giving up the charade. That's not a bad thing.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:22 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,867,390 times
Should I offer my condolences or congratulations?

I think there's a big difference between groups where religion is part of the culture and groups where it is simply an expression of faith. I think it's why groups like Jews and Hindus are typically steadier than Christians, and why Catholics are more consistent that Protestants. But, given the rise of the "spiritual rather than religious" sentiment, I don't think the poll means as much as many would like to think.

Just because people aren't identifying as Christian as often doesn't mean they don't believe in it.

Last edited by JB from NC; 10-18-2019 at 12:26 PM..

Old 10-18-2019, 11:34 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I concur.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:27 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,607,249 times
Quote:
Maybe your kids or your kids kids are getting tired of their fundie parents and church leaders telling them that god hates homos?

You know, their gay friends and best friends you and your god hate, BFun?

Old 10-18-2019, 01:17 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,711,345 times
Quote:
"Our numbers aren't really dropping. You see, they've always been this low!"

LOL

That's some weak sauce there...

Old 10-18-2019, 01:23 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
"Our numbers aren't really dropping. You see, they've always been this low!"

LOL

That's some weak sauce there...
What gets me is that he thinks he's the one who decides who "real christians" are.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:54 PM

11,033 posts, read 5,995,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What gets me is that he thinks he's the one who decides who "real christians" are.
But he could be right about the 'posers'. I've known of people who just go along with it because it's what was expected of them. I was one of those once. Admittedly, I would likely have stated my true status in an anonymous poll so there is that to consider. Even now, in the presence of all my religious family and friends, I keep my status to myself although they are probably aware that I'm atheist. In fact, many of my family are aware.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:26 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,002,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Fewer Americans identify as Christian than a decade ago.

https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/...at-rapid-pace/

The data also shows a slight increase in non-Christian faiths. This appears to be from Hindus (up to 1% from less-than-1% a decade ago) and 'other non-Christians' (up to 3% from 2%). Jews, Muslims, and Buddhists are holding steady. Also, within Christianity the Mormons are keeping pace.

The percentage of Catholics among Hispanics has fallen 10%. Among Hispanics, Protestantism has gained 1%, non-Christian faiths have gained 2%, and 8% have joined the ranks of the unaffiliated.

Men and whites remain less religious than women and non-whites, though church attendance and rates of adherence has fallen among all these groups. There is dramatic difference between Democrats/liberals and Republicans/conservatives, of course. Interestingly, among Democrats blacks are far more likely to identify as Christian than whites, but among Republicans whites are somewhat more likely than blacks to so identify.

While the number of born agains/evangelicals is dropping, they are dropping at a slower rate than Protestants overall, such that they comprise an increasing proportion of that group.
The last comment is interesting.
The US is unique, in that most Protestants are of the low church Evangelical variety. (ie "Born Again").
I assume this would also include Pentecostal Evangelical Protestants, who have become increasing prevalent,and could not doubt make up a sizable percentage of this group.
Many Catholics who convert, esp in traditionally Catholic countries like Latin America and the Philippines, are often attracted to this variety of Protestantism.
Down here, most Protestants tend to be Church of England or Anglican, which is Episcopalian in the US.
Non-Religious and unaffiliated is increasing in all Western countries by Census population statistics.
And yes, BF may have a point in that many that are born into a Christian religion now no longer identify with it.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:29 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,970,897 times
"...65% of American adults describe themselves..."
as good drivers, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality