Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:16 PM

605 posts, read 872,446 times

Advertisements

Going through an EXTREME amount of stress, worry, and anxiety---major changes currently and am realizing that if I don't stop the worrying, I will give myself a heart attack, as well I need to quit the smoking. I have gone to church in the past, and want to go back, making excuses, want to go back and worship.
Any Bible verses for this subject?
(fear, letting go and letting God, worry?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 10:23 PM

23,039 posts, read 34,492,586 times
Matthew 6:31-34 "So don't worry about having enough food or drink or clothing. Why be like the pagans who are so deeply concerned about these things? Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs, and He will give you all you need from day to day if you live for Him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern. So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today".

1 Peter 5:7 "Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about what happens to you".

Don't let worries interfere with your relationship with God, He wants you to bring your cares to Him. Let God have all your anxieties, don't submit to circumstances but to the Lord, who controls circumstances.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:26 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,167,490 times
Pick up your scriptures and start reading them. I especially like the Gospel of John. Also, pray, be very specific in your pleadings to our Heavenly Father. Tell Him of your worries, and ask Him to take away those feelings and bring peace to your life. I guarantee HE is listening to you and HE cares. Pray everyday and night, in your car, in the shower everywhere!! Be very specific and humble. I hope things will get better for you.
I used to be the same way.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:14 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,215,041 times
Whenever I have major stress or anxieties, I pray the simplest prayer ever: God help me. Then I try to give up every possible worry in my mind to him. It's as simple as that. God already knows exactly what you need, all you have to do is be receptive to help. Another good simple prayer is: Lord please take this from me. Whether it is a nasty emotion or a bad situation, giving it up rather than taking it personally upon yourself is the best option, because nothing is too great for god. People have nervous breakdowns because they are overwhelmed, the more you trust god and give to him, the less stress you will have, and the better you will be able to cope with life. Whether you are a resilient stoic or a delicate artistic soul, to be able to purge all stress and anxiety and fear to God is a blessing. Use it liberally.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:01 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,193,474 times
Sounds like you want to go back to something that mattered to you in the past and helped with your outlook on life and brought you peace or you wouldn't have brought it up.
Go ahead.
Go to church and worship.
Don't think that because you smoke you won't be welcome.
If that was the worst thing anyone ever did this world would be a lot better place.
Quit making excuses.
There is a verse (don't know the book or scripture) that says :
If a man has faith the size of a mustard seed, he can move mountains. (Something to that affect.)
Get your faith back. Move some of your personal mountains or get the strength to climb them.
Find some peace and remember to control the things in your life that are within your control and don't worry about things that you can not change.
Your post kind of sounded like a plea for help.
I don't know what is going on in your life and it's none of my business, but whatever it is, Don't Panic.
I don't know of any problem that panic ever solved.
Think things out and do what is best for you.
If you think going back to church will help you, do it.
You just might find the help and support you need to get you through this trying time.
My bet would be that you just might feel the presence of a greater power to help you carry your load. You don't have to shoulder it all by yourself.
I wish you well.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:24 AM

285 posts, read 536,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
Going through an EXTREME amount of stress, worry, and anxiety---major changes currently and am realizing that if I don't stop the worrying, I will give myself a heart attack, as well I need to quit the smoking. I have gone to church in the past, and want to go back, making excuses, want to go back and worship.
You need a good psychologist, and I am not being sarcastic.

Psychologist are trained professionals who can help you with your stress and anxiety. And you are very astute to realize these feelings are associated with your current life changes, and that is very normal.

Church and religion is not going to be of any real help, at best it can help you through avoidance and transference, but not real lasting help. If the church could help, then 99.99% of mental patients would not be church attendees.

Find a good psychologist to help you and I promise you will be much better off, the church is not the answer.

Oh and for those who say "look to god not the church". There isnt a god, only a church theocracy to look at.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:33 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,393,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
What is it, that you would like to let go of ?

Old 04-20-2008, 02:44 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,215,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
Church and religion is not going to be of any real help, at best it can help you through avoidance and transference, but not real lasting help. If the church could help, then 99.99% of mental patients would not be church attendees.
Valid source please?? Somewhere other than between your buttcheeks would be nice. Also, God does help, because I was going through serious depression and was suicidal as a teen. Prayer and God helped me through it, along with my church community and friends who were way more supportive than my non-believer friends.

Not to rain on your atheist parade but:Power of Prayer; Submitters Perspective August 2003
According to University of Miami research, AIDS patients who became long-term survivors were more likely to be those involved in religious practices and volunteer work.
In another study overseen by Duke University researchers, subjects who both attended worship services and regularly prayed had lower blood pressure than a control group. In another study, women in a risk group for various complications of pregnancy were less likely to suffer problems, such as low-birth-weight babies, if they prayed.

Could be a placebo effect, could be God. Regardless, the results are the same. People have less stress and health problems if they believe there is an eternal God watching over them. It's also nice to believe this if you don't have a lot of HUMAN support networks such as trustworthy friends and family. After all, one can pray anything to God at any time, without paying $$$$ for a therapist or psychologist. Hope you find peace WannaBNorCal.

Oh, and what's to stop her from seeing a therapist AND engaging in prayer when shes not at the therapists office and feels the need?? Just a thought.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:39 PM

285 posts, read 536,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
Valid source please?? Somewhere other than between your buttcheeks would be nice. Also, God does help, because I was going through serious depression and was suicidal as a teen. Prayer and God helped me through it, along with my church community and friends who were way more supportive than my non-believer friends.

Not to rain on your atheist parade but:Power of Prayer; Submitters Perspective August 2003
According to University of Miami research, AIDS patients who became long-term survivors were more likely to be those involved in religious practices and volunteer work.
In another study overseen by Duke University researchers, subjects who both attended worship services and regularly prayed had lower blood pressure than a control group. In another study, women in a risk group for various complications of pregnancy were less likely to suffer problems, such as low-birth-weight babies, if they prayed.

Could be a placebo effect, could be God. Regardless, the results are the same. People have less stress and health problems if they believe there is an eternal God watching over them. It's also nice to believe this if you don't have a lot of HUMAN support networks such as trustworthy friends and family. After all, one can pray anything to God at any time, without paying $$$$ for a therapist or psychologist. Hope you find peace WannaBNorCal.

Oh, and what's to stop her from seeing a therapist AND engaging in prayer when shes not at the therapists office and feels the need?? Just a thought.
How can you say a placebo is the same as the real thing ? A placebo is a lie and for it to work the person has to believe a deception.

Sorry, but there is no god.

There are therepist, and if one starts talking about god FIRE that crook!

Last edited by ahteist2; 04-20-2008 at 03:49 PM..

Old 04-20-2008, 04:12 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,577,474 times
I believe this thread was addressed to Christians, so why is an athiest putting in it's two cents ( yes, I said 'it's'').
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality