Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 07:56 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,968,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Yes, the Divine Feminine, Holy Mother God aspect, frowned on since Eve I imagine...that darn trouble maker Eve!!
Yipes, I find No blame on Eve because Eve was deceived according to 1st Timothy 2:14; 2nd Corinthians 11:3,14.
The Blame rests on that one man named Adam - Romans 5:12-14,19
Eve ate first, Adam did Not have to also eat.
However, we might say they ate us out of 'house and home', at least until the millennial reign of Christ Jesus comes to Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 04:50 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
As for Goddesses and Gods, Shiva, Vishnu, Devi. I believe at different stages in our evolution we feel the need to see the divine in certain forms. So maybe as Vishnu or Devi, a woman in some form with or without weapons, in superwoman costume, or Vishnu with Brhma arising out of his navel.

But at certain times we are more at peace with the abstraction, maybe even just a feeling. We see the divine in his creation, in sunsets, and rosy dawn, in kindness or love, as the Brhamam, with no form, no name, all pervading.

I think of Mary as a spirit who knows what suffering is as a mother, and she can also be the spirit of the universal Mother.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:13 AM

15,967 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find mankind lost access to the Genesis " Tree of Life " which was in the beautiful paradisical Garden of Eden.
And I like that according to Revelation (22:2) mankind will once again see the Genesis " Tree of Like " on Earth.
The tree's leaves will be for the ' healing ' of earth's nations. 'Healing' as described in the 35th chapter of Isaiah.
I am not familiar with the Bible to the extent of understanding your post and thus have no relevance for me. Perhaps if you can interact on this thread with reference to your own spiritual experience without reference to a text not everyone reads, it will add to our discussion. And you may learn something!

Old 01-13-2020, 08:13 AM

That's a good point, cb2008, to speak from our spiritual experience. My experience with the Tree of Life has something to do with the energy centers in the physical and subtle body--sometimes called chakras. The central channel, which would correspond to the trunk, is where the energy comes up, moving from the earthly realms to the divine. And the crown chakra, is where the energy comes down from above. The heart center is where they meet, creating this explosion of infinite love and mercy. But other smaller energy channels branch off all over the body, forming a tree. It's pretty amazing that spiritual practitioners of all paths come to similar conclusions--a Tree-like map of energy centers that can be experienced by doing practices and meditations. I even find it interesting that in the tradition I come from originally, Roman Catholicism, the sign of the cross touches the third eye, heart center, and then crosses the throat chakra to two points on the shoulder area--forming a tree-like structure. I can't help but make all these connections, because I see this as a universal template that makes itself known across the -isms we call religions.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:11 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
I am not familiar with the Bible to the extent of understanding your post and thus have no relevance for me. Perhaps if you can interact on this thread with reference to your own spiritual experience without reference to a text not everyone reads, it will add to our discussion. And you may learn something!
I'm guessing Matthew reads the creation story in the bible (in which God put the "tree of life" in the center of the paradise-like garden where the "first" man and woman lived -- Adam and Eve) as literally true. That story is in the first book of the Bible. In the last book of the Bible (Revelation), the "tree of life" shows up again, this time in a city, and again, I believe Matthew thinks there will be a literal "paradise" on earth in which a literal tree of life will be. In Revelation, the leaves of the tree are said to be available to "the nations" for healing.

Personally, looking at it in a figurative way, I would see the "garden" as being symbolic of every individual, and the tree of life as the Source of spiritual life IN us. In Revelation, (which Matthew takes as a foretelling of the "end times" and the coming of a new earth, but which I see as being about the "revelation" of God in every individual) there is also a river that is called the "water of life", and the tree of life stands on either side of that river. Perhaps that river is symbolic of the Spirit (God's divine nature) being developed in us and flowing to others in a healing way.

I used to get very into symbols within the Bible, but found that the deeper I went into it, it became more of a hindrance to growth than a help; it was getting a little OCD, if you know what I mean, and I was caring more about having these "epiphanies" about symbology than I was about growing in love. So, while I"m drawn to your thread, there's a part of me that still hesitates to linger here too long.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
That's a good point, cb2008, to speak from our spiritual experience. My experience with the Tree of Life has something to do with the energy centers in the physical and subtle body--sometimes called chakras. The central channel, which would correspond to the trunk, is where the energy comes up, moving from the earthly realms to the divine. And the crown chakra, is where the energy comes down from above. The heart center is where they meet, creating this explosion of infinite love and mercy. But other smaller energy channels branch off all over the body, forming a tree. It's pretty amazing that spiritual practitioners of all paths come to similar conclusions--a Tree-like map of energy centers that can be experienced by doing practices and meditations. I even find it interesting that in the tradition I come from originally, Roman Catholicism, the sign of the cross touches the third eye, heart center, and then crosses the throat chakra to two points on the shoulder area--forming a tree-like structure. I can't help but make all these connections, because I see this as a universal template that makes itself known across the -isms we call religions.
Yes. It is interesting how certain patterns repeat from culture to culture, region to region. Maybe because we are all drawn to those ideas regardless of time and space.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I'm guessing Matthew reads the creation story in the bible (in which God put the "tree of life" in the center of the paradise-like garden where the "first" man and woman lived -- Adam and Eve) as literally true. That story is in the first book of the Bible. In the last book of the Bible (Revelation), the "tree of life" shows up again, this time in a city, and again, I believe Matthew thinks there will be a literal "paradise" on earth in which a literal tree of life will be. In Revelation, the leaves of the tree are said to be available to "the nations" for healing.

Personally, looking at it in a figurative way, I would see the "garden" as being symbolic of every individual, and the tree of life as the Source of spiritual life IN us. In Revelation, (which Matthew takes as a foretelling of the "end times" and the coming of a new earth, but which I see as being about the "revelation" of God in every individual) there is also a river that is called the "water of life", and the tree of life stands on either side of that river. Perhaps that river is symbolic of the Spirit (God's divine nature) being developed in us and flowing to others in a healing way.

I used to get very into symbols within the Bible, but found that the deeper I went into it, it became more of a hindrance to growth than a help; it was getting a little OCD, if you know what I mean, and I was caring more about having these "epiphanies" about symbology than I was about growing in love. So, while I"m drawn to your thread, there's a part of me that still hesitates to linger here too long.
I agree. Let us not lose the forest for the trees!

Old 01-14-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What I find a bit disheartening as a former Christian not of the Catholic variety, is that Mary, or the feminine divine, was strictly frowned upon. I wonder if, as a woman, I would have been drawn to that more, and think that my upbringing still hinders me in that regard.
When we were in Sienna and visited the many cathedrals I was moved by the candles lit for Mary. I was very worried about my son at the time and lit a candle for Mary praying for her help in resolving his difficulties.
Our gender need not matter as to how we approach the divine. Divinity has no gender so why should we, aspects of the same Divine, be divided by gender? One of the endearing aspects of Lord Shiva is that he is inert without Shakti, which literally means energy. She occupies half of him, signifying this. The chanting of Aum is this union of Shiva and Uma (another name for the female goddess) and that is the meaning one can meditate upon while chanting.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
When we were in Sienna and visited the many cathedrals I was moved by the candles lit for Mary. I was very worried about my son at the time and lit a candle for Mary praying for her help in resolving his difficulties.
Our gender need not matter as to how we approach the divine. Divinity has no gender so why should we, aspects of the same Divine, be divided by gender? One of the endearing aspects of Lord Shiva is that he is inert without Shakti, which literally means energy. She occupies half of him, signifying this. The chanting of Aum is this union of Shiva and Uma (another name for the female goddess) and that is the meaning one can meditate upon while chanting.
I was going to ask about that! Shiva/Shakti. That's what I learned in yoga, and it makes a lot of sense--inert without Shakti.

About Mary...there is a nook with a giant Mary statue at one of the churches I attend. Mary is the most popular place in the church. Everyone wants to go to Mary for help. She is the life force of the Catholic Church. I've long wanted to start a thread on her in the Christianity section but don't want to get into debates with Protestants, so I haven't yet. Maybe someday.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I was going to ask about that! Shiva/Shakti. That's what I learned in yoga, and it makes a lot of sense--inert without Shakti.

About Mary...there is a nook with a giant Mary statue at one of the churches I attend. Mary is the most popular place in the church. Everyone wants to go to Mary for help. She is the life force of the Catholic Church. I've long wanted to start a thread on her in the Christianity section but don't want to get into debates with Protestants, so I haven't yet. Maybe someday.
Mary is worshipped as the mother goddess in a church/temple in India. Quite likely in other places as well. This temple is hugely attended by devout Hindus as well to pray for the sick or troubled. Hindus actually will attend any place that seem to be invested with divinity. I feel it is the prayers and devotion of the humanity within its walls that attracts certain kinds of people. I felt that in the cathedral in Sienna and in other places as well that are devoted to Mary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality