Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2022, 08:08 PM

22,240 posts, read 19,245,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Please explain to me why my insults at God bother you so much.confused
if you profess to not believe in something
then it is irrational and lacks common sense and intelligence to blame anything on that which you claim does not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 08:18 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Please explain to me why my insults at God bother you so much.
If that has to be explained...your psyche is too buried in hate to reach.
Go to Afghanistan and call God a "cold, cruel, heartless, ignorant AHole jerk" and all the other horrible, hateful things you said...you will get your explanation.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:37 PM

50,869 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if you profess to not believe in something
then it is irrational and lacks common sense and intelligence to blame anything on that which you claim does not exist.
I'm going to explain it a third time.

It's a debating tactic actually. Taking the perspective of the other side. "I don't believe in god, but for the sake of the debate, let's say there is a god. In that case...".

Nothing difficult to understand about that.

Unless you don't want to understand it.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:03 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

It's a debating tactic actually. Taking the perspective of the other side. "I don't believe in god, but for the sake of the debate, let's say there is a god. In that case...".

I might see that type of argument used a bit...a couple posts here or there...posing hypotheticals.
But, thousands of them...tens of thousands of them...always replete with insults & mocking?
Nope...that's just hateful bashing for that sake.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:15 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Just like an atheist to whine about God giving them free will, or even creating them.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:57 PM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:

Old 03-02-2022, 06:01 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Just like an atheist to whine about God giving them free will, or even creating them.
Nothing like a Christian to whine about atheists exercising their right to express their opinions regarding God and religion.

Unfortunately, far too many Christians have internalized their religion to such an extent that they literally cannot separate themselves from their belief.

There was a very good reason why religion was described as the "opiate of the masses" given that it operates almost identically on the human brain as a drug.

For one thing, they are utterly incapable of admitting that they could be just as wrong as anyone else in these debates while offering up virtually nothing to show that they're correct.

But the worst thing of all is how they cannot separate themselves from their belief. If you insult the belief, you insult them - personally. If you insult God, you may as well insult the Christian - directly and by name. There cannot be true civil discourse between these typs of Christians and literally anyone with a differing opinion.

Not just with atheists - but with anyone who does not march in total lockstep with their own belief system. Whether we're talking about atheists, a person who believes in a different god, or even other Christians of differing denominations.

Which is precisely why the only thing offered by these particular Christians are those completely vapid and inspid comments like the one quoted above.

(Never even mind the hypocrisy - but given the apparent inability for them to process more than a few paragraphs of text in a single document, I shant get into that aspect of things)

Last edited by Shirina; 03-02-2022 at 06:43 AM..

Old 03-02-2022, 06:43 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,286 times
Quote:

What's sad is that I know precisely what Christians were saying and what argument they were making that prompted you to write your post.

It's their "numero uno" argument they love to make in order to get atheists to essentially sit down and shut up.

Because let's face it - there wouldn't be much of a discussion if we merely wrote what we actually believe and simply say, "But ... there is no god ... so he can't be responsible for our screwed up world."

Yes, that is the end-all, be-all argument for an atheist to make, right?

The only problem is that God, Yahweh, Jehovah, and Allah DO exist as a concept. Those primitive, ridiculous personas from Iron Age Palestine DO exist as catalysts for the behavior of hundreds of millions of people. Fortunately, as individuals, most people cling to those antiquated superstitions in a quiet and private way, having no desire to push their beliefs onto others.

As long as people are basing their actions on their belief in a God who will act a certain way or do certain things if everyone everywhere doesn't follow God's archaeic laws, then God exists.

And as long as God exists - even as an abstract thought experiment; as long as God via the mouths of people are trying to tell us what to do without thought to the freedoms of others, then offering up an argument that atheists can't talk about God or blame God for anything because we don't believe God exists is just ... sophomoric at best.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:44 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
This is why I think Golden is a closeted Christian. Calling himself a pantheist helps him to take a middle of the road position in these discussions but in reality he behaves in the same way a Christian does. He believes in the Bible. He says its writings are metaphorical. HA! lots of Christians don't take the Bible literally. Michael's Way doesn't believe most of the OT really happened, he said so. Golden takes extreme offense if someone calls God out on his irresponsibility for at least lending us a helping hand since he caused this world and its inhabitants to be created. He loves Jesus--says he believes in the power of prayer, that his prayers get answered when nobody else's does. Pantheist? I don't think so.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:39 AM

50,869 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Nothing like a Christian to whine about atheists exercising their right to express their opinions regarding God and religion.

Unfortunately, far too many Christians have internalized their religion to such an extent that they literally cannot separate themselves from their belief.

There was a very good reason why religion was described as the "opiate of the masses" given that it operates almost identically on the human brain as a drug.

For one thing, they are utterly incapable of admitting that they could be just as wrong as anyone else in these debates while offering up virtually nothing to show that they're correct.

But the worst thing of all is how they cannot separate themselves from their belief. If you insult the belief, you insult them - personally. If you insult God, you may as well insult the Christian - directly and by name. There cannot be true civil discourse between these typs of Christians and literally anyone with a differing opinion.

Not just with atheists - but with anyone who does not march in total lockstep with their own belief system. Whether we're talking about atheists, a person who believes in a different god, or even other Christians of differing denominations.

Which is precisely why the only thing offered by these particular Christians are those completely vapid and inspid comments like the one quoted above.

(Never even mind the hypocrisy - but given the apparent inability for them to process more than a few paragraphs of text in a single document, I shant get into that aspect of things)
Well stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality