Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2022, 12:05 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,986,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Thrill, the wicked people in the principalities and powers that run this world are at fault, NOT God. It has always been so.

No, God bears full responsibility for the situation we find ourselves in. You don't blame a baby who's a cretin for being a cretin. Come on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 12:08 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,603,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
No, I didn't stop believing in God. I did stop believing in the Christian pagan god, Yahweh but I still believe a higher power--let's call it God--runs the show. As a deist my gripe isn't so much with how he's handling things now because I don't expect him to intervene in human affairs at all. I expect him to let us blow ourselves to smithereens with nuclear weapons and not lift a finger to stop it. If some of you weren't aware, both Russia and the US have put their nuclear forces on alert. We're a breath away from annihilation. Did it have to be this way? Did God have to create such physics that would allow a substance you can easily hold in your hand to contain enough power to wipe out an entire city of a million people?

That is the question I am laying on the table. God apparently wanted us to possess the power to make ourselves extinct, in the same way a father would put a loaded gun into a child's hand with other children around and then leave the room. I see no difference in the scenarios. God bears full responsibility for whatever happens to us is the same way that father bears full responsibility for whatever the child with the gun does to his companions.
I thought I remembered you posting some time back that you stopped believing in even a deist god. At any rate, your rant is silly.

Also, by definition, the term 'pagan' refers to religious beliefs outside of Christianity, Judaism, or Islam. Therefore it is improper to refer to the Christian God as pagan.
It is crucial to stress right from the start that until the 20th century, people did not call themselves pagans to describe the religion they practised. The notion of paganism, as it is generally understood today, was created by the early Christian Church. It was a label that Christians applied to others, one of the antitheses that were central to the process of Christian self-definition. As such, throughout history it was generally used in a derogatory sense.

— Owen Davies, Paganism: A Very Short Introduction, 2011[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagani...than%20Judaism.
But you probably don't care about that. Well . . .carry on with your rant and with playing the blame game.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think that is sort of Thrill's point.

But since you are a believer I wonder if the natural capacity for nuclear fission was in place before Adam and Eve ate the fruit... or is that our fault as well.

Good point, eddie. Can't rep you.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:16 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,676,816 times
Quote:
If God is all these things that we are not, then who's to blame for the mess the world finds itself in at the moment? Don't think Jesus is going to ride to our rescue because he's not. Those are just Biblical fairytales.

I'm not going to hurl insults at God and call him names here anymore. It accomplishes nothing. He's indifferent to me and I'm indifferent to him, but I do think I pose a legitimate theological question that needs answering in light of the precarious situation the world finds itself in at the moment.
No, no, no. You just think it is a "mess". But, what would you know, compared to God?
If God is all those things...then everything is how it should be...and any assessment a mortal would make otherwise must be erroneous, because mortal thoughts and ways are inferior to God's.
You do not pose a legitimate question. Because if God is a Omnimax Powered Entity that can do anything and knows everything, and has thoughts and ways that are superior to ours...than any negative assessment you might make of how things are is totally bogus.
Everything is how it should be...you just don't know that because you are ignorant compared to God.
You need to get hip to that. Then you will come to greater understanding and knowledge.
Or...you could realize that posing questions and making critiques based upon literal interpretations of metaphorical and allegorical works of literary art will just have you spitting into a strong wind and pounding sand.
You call it a "fairytale"...but then pose questions and critique the thoughts, actions, and inaction of the God Deity Character as if it is real. How illogical is that?!!

Old 02-27-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I don't take the Genesis creation story, including the part about Adam and Eve, literally.

In answer to your question, a naturally occuring self-sustaining nuclear fission reaction is thought to have taken place approximately 1.7 billion years ago. Details given below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natura...ission_reactor

Oklo: Nature's Nuclear Reactor - Oklo: Nature's Nuclear Reactor

let's say the entire universe is one large nuclear fission and fusion reaction. Let's it translates from the largest galaxies being formed right down to a nuclear reactor. Did God have to allow man to discover the physics behind it--I don't mean just theoretically but also the practical application of such power to destroy the earth--did God have to allow man to discover and harness such devastating force? What kind of a world would we be living in if man never learned to harness nuclear fission? I'd posit a much better world, but then my logical way of see things is much lower than God's according to Golden.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I thought I remembered you posting some time back that you stopped believing in even a deist god. At any rate, your rant is silly.

Also, by definition, the term 'pagan' refers to religious beliefs outside of Christianity, Judaism, or Islam. Therefore it is improper to refer to the Christian God as pagan.
It is crucial to stress right from the start that until the 20th century, people did not call themselves pagans to describe the religion they practised. The notion of paganism, as it is generally understood today, was created by the early Christian Church. It was a label that Christians applied to others, one of the antitheses that were central to the process of Christian self-definition. As such, throughout history it was generally used in a derogatory sense.

— Owen Davies, Paganism: A Very Short Introduction, 2011[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagani...than%20Judaism.
But you probably don't care about that. Well . . .carry on with your rant and with playing the blame game.

Christians believe in a god that has pagan roots, therefore it's a pagan god. Not hard to comprehend.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:24 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,278,200 times
Quote:
No, God bears full responsibility for the situation we find ourselves in. You don't blame a baby who's a cretin for being a cretin. Come on!
Interestingly, "cretin" is related to "Chretien", French for Christian.

People born with abnormalities were referred to as "poor Christians" in the Alpine regions, and eventually the "Chretien" part stuck and was shortened to cretin.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No, no, no. You just think it is a "mess". But, what would you know, compared to God?
If God is all those things...then everything is how it should be...and any assessment a mortal would make otherwise must be erroneous, because mortal thoughts and ways are inferior to God's.
You do not pose a legitimate question. Because if God is a Omnimax Powered Entity that can do anything and knows everything, and has thoughts and ways that are superior to ours...than any negative assessment you might make of how things are is totally bogus.
Everything is how it should be...you just don't know that because you are ignorant compared to God.
You need to get hip to that. Then you will come to greater understanding and knowledge.
Or...you could realize that posing questions and making critiques based upon literal interpretations of metaphorical and allegorical works of literary art will just have you spitting into a strong wind and pounding sand.
You call it a "fairytale"...but then pose questions and critique the thoughts, actions, and inaction of the God Deity Character as if it is real. How illogical is that?!!

The god deity character IS real--something is real--otherwise how did the universe get here? But I'm down here watching all the action while God is off in some remote part of the universe doing his thing. Who has a better view of what's happening on earth? Who is in a better position to assess that we are on the verge of blowing ourselves up?

Old 02-27-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Interestingly, "cretin" is related to "Chretien", French for Christian.

People born with abnormalities were referred to as "poor Christians" in the Alpine regions, and eventually the "Chretien" part stuck and was shortened to cretin.

Well, I just learned something lol. Thanks. But the modern definition of cretin is a person with a severe mental deficiency. Would we whip a 5 YO cretin for throwing his supper on the wall? Did the cretin even know what it was doing?

Old 02-27-2022, 12:28 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,676,816 times
Quote:
let's say the entire universe is one large nuclear fission and fusion reaction. Let's it translates from the largest galaxies being formed right down to a nuclear reactor. Did God have to allow man to discover the physics behind it--I don't mean just theoretically but also the practical application of such power to destroy the earth--did God have to allow man to discover and harness such devastating force? What kind of a world would we be living in if man never learned to harness nuclear fission? I'd posit a much better world, but then my logical way of see things is much lower than God's according to Golden.
Not "according to Golden".
According to the source that you get the attributes of God from.
The source you call a "fairytale"...but then pose questions off of it and critique it as though it is real.
But, keep it up...it's amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality