Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,299,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
How can there be pressure towards not believing something or questioning it?
When college professors start their science class by saying "If you believe in God, you're stupid!" that is pressure to go atheist. In this day and age, atheists are viewed as the intelligent ones and theists are viewed as ignorant. If you don't want to be viewed as ignorant, there is a pressure to go atheist. The reality is there are intelligent and ignorant people in both camps.

And if the government started taxing churches, it would force most of the smaller ones to close. In many smaller churches, the money collected in the plate barely pays to keep it running. The pastor also has a full time job outside of the church. It would be disastrous for them to be taxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:36 PM

33,624 posts, read 37,274,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
When college professors start their science class by saying "If you believe in God, you're stupid!" that is pressure to go atheist. In this day and age, atheists are viewed as the intelligent ones and theists are viewed as ignorant. If you don't want to be viewed as ignorant, there is a pressure to go atheist. The reality is there are intelligent and ignorant people in both camps.

And if the government started taxing churches, it would force most of the smaller ones to close. In many smaller churches, the money collected in the plate barely pays to keep it running. The pastor also has a full time job outside of the church. It would be disastrous for them to be taxed.
You have heard this?...( the bolded part ) I doubt it...I say your making it up.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,348,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

Prove that this happened; not some anecdotal information, something real.
By the time people are in college, they have their own mind, and I hope they are able to make decisions for themselves.
Oh, the poor religious people, they're being persecuted.

Churches should be taxed.
They are not special. If there is one word of politics uttered from the pulpit, all churches of that denomination should lose their tax-free status.

Last edited by chielgirl; 04-30-2008 at 08:58 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,485,215 times
Although I can understand the concern for some of the smaller churches that may go out of business in regards to taxation, I can only wonder at how much "book-cooking" goes on at these massive mega churches I see sprouting up all over the place.

There's a Southern Baptist church in an extremely wealthy part of town where I live that makes me wonder how much income it gets from the parishioners that needn't be taxed. You should see this place and the cars that drive in there every Sunday. I can't help but feel like these places are becoming a dime a dozen in America and it makes me wonder how much better our economy would be if we flat-taxed (even 5%) of what these churches bring in.

On top of that, the Catholic Church is by many guesstimates to be one of the most profitable organizations in the world and I wonder how much a taxation on their churches would actually hurt the church.

I think that if the churches really cared about doing something good (especially for this country) they wouldn't have a problem being taxed. I mean, when we think about it, you can write off any donations made to churches on your tax return, the churches don't have to pay a cent of taxes on their income from this, and so it seems there's this massive free trade of money going around that could do so much good in this country and other countries. It almost seems like the perfect method of money laundering to me....

Old 05-01-2008, 11:46 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,088,836 times
There are generally some limits to which you can donate (speaking cash here). I believe you can only donate like 45-50% of your AGI and it still be tax deductible on your side..

I have no problem with charities not paying taxes. If a church has a non-profit status then I'm all for them having to list their charity "outflows" if you get my drift.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:27 PM

As long as they don't involve themselves with politics.
Once politics is involved, all churches from the denomination lose their taxfree status.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:55 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,661,072 times
chielgirl wrote:
Quote:
As long as they don't involve themselves with politics.
Once politics is involved, all churches from the denomination lose their taxfree status.
Another good post from chielgirl. I tried to give you a rep point but couldn't. What's really irritating is that churches have a way of supporting political causes or candidates without coming right out and announcing it. A sermon can contain subtle references to current issues and why Christians should feel one way or the other without stating that the congregation should vote for a particular candidate or for or against a particular proposition in an election. Of course there are preachers who do openly say that they support certain candidates and I don't think they lose their tax exempt status. The late Jerry Falwell comes to mind.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:00 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,371,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Look...

The fact is that the general public considers us atheists to be vermin. We were recently named as the most loathed category in America, somewhere below even terrorists, IIRC.

No politician is likely to pander to us, and for good reason: it would be poltical suicide.

I found this and it seems to counter the theory that an atheist or nonreligous person could be elected to office. Looks like a lot already have held the highest office. I think they would not pass as VERMIN.

1- Thomas Jefferson was a non religious President. He was the 3rd American President and called himself a Deist.

2- James Madison was an out spoken Deist
1751-1836] American president and political theorist

3- John Adams was the 2nd President of the United States and an outspoken anti Christian. Here is one of his statements “The Divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for Absurdity”

4- Abraham Lincoln also an American president.
From material presented by James Haughty in his book on Lincoln, it would seem that Lincoln as a young man was an avid Anti-Christian and most likely an atheist. He remained anti-religious and rejected organized religion all his life.

The following are also listed as Deist:
George Washington
Ulysses Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by cncracer; 05-08-2008 at 07:15 PM..

Old 05-09-2008, 04:45 AM

cnc, I don't think it could happen today. Too many fearful christians out there to let one of "those" people get elected.

Candidates pander to the religious no matter how they really feel.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:16 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,371,006 times
I think you are right in relation to today's political breakdown, and rightwing religious groups. The future looks much brighter. I read statistics that show a drop in religious or people who follow a god, and the rise of a population of non-believers. The numbers show an average shift in the last ten years of approximately 1% shift per year in each direction. With the non religious in that 16 to 23% range now in 20 years we will have sufficient voting power to correct a lot of problems. Barring a religious war I stand a good chance to live long enough to see that new world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality