Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 12:56 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
If God created humankind "in His image and likeness", would it make sense that if WE have emotions that they came from God because God has emotions? Would His emotions be more 'perfect' than ours, simply because He IS God?
Of god created humankind "in hiis image and likeness", would it not make sense that things we think are overwhelming evil should be evil to god, as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 12:57 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
People focus on the atrocities because it is what is inside their own hearts.
That is a false accusations. I don't support atrocities and have never been involved in them, in fact they sicken me. But folks like you wish us to believe that your God is perfect and loving and Just and to simply ignore all the bad things your book claims he has done. Gengis Khan was also probably a great guy if we sx use all the times he wasn't.

Question, if slavery and stoning are atrocities then why did your God regulate and request them? You obviously have similar opinions about those actions however you turn a blind eye to them in the Bible. Would you turn blind eye towards atrocities occurring in fron of you if they were not related to your God?

It sickens me that you have such disgusting opinions about fellow humans that are not willing to ignore the bad with the good on this one particular character or book. I've been faithful to my wife for over 4 decades and have no desire to own a slave or to stone to death anyone. Isn't there a Commandment that tells you not to make false testimony against your neighbour? An apology is in order but I won't hold my breath waiting for one.

I was responding to the claim that your God s perfect love and perfect just.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:19 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,793,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Such as?

Sorry not being facetious.

It sounds like you and the other poster above are just throwing out guesses since you both don't seem to know the answer either.
It's o.k. I don't take your questions as being facetious. I like to give the benefit of the doubt, unless it's something that's so obviously rude.

Even though I am Christian, I don't pretend to know all the answers. Someone may ask a question that I didn't even think about (yet). So, I propose certain possibilities. And, since I see God as a "good" God, I will see what He does as having "good" in it. But the "good" that I see can't be defined by limited human terms. It is Divine, and therefore beyond my comprehension.

Quote:
So how can anybody throw out terms like 'agape love' when nobody seems to know what it means. That only 'god knows' because we don't have his perspective.
Human beings also define "love" differently. When some hear the word "love", they automatically think of eros (that is, sexual). We define love of a marital partner differently than we define love of a parent, child, friend...or a complete stranger. Some can't even fathom what it means to "love" a stranger.

Quote:
In that case we cant make any claims at all about knowing anything about gods perspective, agape love included.
There is plenty of information about agape love online.

Quote:
Seems to me that agape love is just some kind of human construct projected onto an idea of god to help humans pretend he's all loving in nature.
And, for Christians, He is all loving in nature. This is not some "make believe" thing.

Quote:
If you are going to project human emotions you have to project all if it, not just the bit just the bit that makes you feel better
I don't think anybody is doing that.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:23 PM

1,161 posts, read 467,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Perfect love is not an emotion? What is it actually? Your description are only words and mean nothing unless you already believe that your God is perfect. Stoning unruly children and adulterous people but allowing slavery , under few regulations, is perfect justice? Saying we are humans and can't understand God is simply excusing what you know is actually wrong. Saying love is not an emotion for God renders the use of the word love invalid in this content. It also contradicts the Christian posters who brag that unlike atheists they have agape love.
I don't expect a meaningful dialogue about the God of Christianity with someone (anyone) who doesn't acknowledge the existence of the God of Christianity. The Bible makes very clear, in both the OT and NT, that God's wisdom will appear as foolishness to the ungodly.

Much of the "sense" of Christianity hinges on being a Christian. The truths really don't unfold until one has embraced the faith. Until you have embraced the faith, much of Christian belief may well seem counterintuitive, nonsensical or even repulsive.

All that is required to embrace the faith is a conviction of one's own unworthiness and estrangement from God and one's need for forgiveness. In Christian belief, this occurs through God's calling and a convicting by the Holy Spirit. Someone who insists on approaching Christianity intellectually, waiting until it all makes sense and all objections have been satisfactorily answered, likely will resist God's calling and never become a Christian.

Perfect love, perfect holiness and perfect justice are God's nature. They are not emotions. Love is not intrinsic to the nature of humans. They may be loving, but they are not incapable of being unloving.

What you call "excusing" God, Christians call "trusting" God. If Christians claim agape love, they mean the divine love that expresses itself as they allow the Holy Spirit to flow through them.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:29 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
I don't expect a meaningful dialogue about the God of Christianity with someone (anyone) who doesn't acknowledge the existence of the God of Christianity. The Bible makes very clear, in both the OT and NT, that God's wisdom will appear as foolishness to the ungodly.

nipped for spcae.

The only question is who is calling what what? Is our questioning the bible foolish or is your presentation of the bible foolish? does emotion look foolish to logic? does logic look foolish to emotion?

round and round we go until we start anchoring the claims in what we know vs anchoring the claims in what we don't know. then the circle stops.

I will give you this. How people describe the god in bible is how that person sees the world.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I know that the Westminster Confession of Faith that many Protestant Churches hold to describes God as being "without body parts or passions." I don't believe that. I believe that God feels love, sorrow, and relief. To me, He is a God who weeps.
Certainly, but these are expressions of God's nature. They aren't human passions. For that matter, they aren't human love, sorrow and relief. Because God is an eternal and transcendent being, it's a mistake to read human emotions into his character. Although I am a Christian, I believe one of the great truths is the first line of the Tao Te Ching: The Tao that can be spoken is not the real Tao. It's inevitable that we as humans "anthropomporhize" God, but it's a danger as well because then we make him subject to the very sort of atheist objections we see on these forums.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:30 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:

Much of the "sense" of Christianity hinges on being a Christian. The truths really don't unfold until one has embraced the faith. Until you have embraced the faith, much of Christian belief may well seem counterintuitive, nonsensical or even repulsive.

All that is required to embrace the faith is a conviction of one's own unworthiness and estrangement from God and one's need for forgiveness. In Christian belief, this occurs through God's calling and a convicting by the Holy Spirit. Someone who insists on approaching Christianity intellectually, waiting until it all makes sense and all objections have been satisfactorily answered, likely will resist God's calling and never become a Christian.

Perfect love, perfect holiness and perfect justice are God's nature. They are not emotions. Love is not intrinsic to the nature of humans. They may be loving, but they are not incapable of being unloving.

What you call "excusing" God, Christians call "trusting" God. If Christians claim agape love, they mean the divine love that expresses itself as they allow the Holy Spirit to flow through them.
Fair enough. Please remember that this is not the Christianity forum and we have seen many posters claim that they have agape love because their Christians and then proceed to unashamedly a string of hateful statements that can be looked at in no way other than intended to cause whatever harm they can.

You are a decent poster and are willing to explain rather than lash out. I simply find it unbelievable that it is so easy for Christians to dismiss the horids that are also found in the Bible, many at the same time then proclaim the Quran as a wicked book because it has some of the same stuff in it.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:35 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You are a decent poster and are willing to explain rather than lash out. I simply find it unbelievable that it is so easy for Christians to dismiss the horids that are also found in the Bible, many at the same time then proclaim the Quran as a wicked book because it has some of the same stuff in it.
That's certainly a good point!

Old 06-06-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The only question is who is calling what what? Is our questioning the bible foolish or is your presentation of the bible foolish? does emotion look foolish to logic? does logic look foolish to emotion?

round and round we go until we start anchoring the claims in what we know vs anchoring the claims in what we don't know. then the circle stops.

I will give you this. How people describe the god in bible is how that person sees the world.
For someone who isn't a Christian to question the Bible or the God of the Bible isn't foolish. It's part of a legitimate quest for truth.

For a Christian to try to convince someone such as yourself by using the Bible is foolish, for the reasons I stated.

This is why mature Christians understand that all the Great Commission from Jesus requires us to do is present the Gospel message. If and when the time is right for the hearer, God does the calling and the Holy Spirit does the convicting. Unless and until that occurs, the Bible and the Gospel message will seem to be foolishness.

Christians do anchor their claims in what they know. The problem is, this knowing occurs only after one has taken the leap of faith.

I did all sorts of questioning and searching, even after I was born again. God's call and convicting occurred before I even understood what was going on. The questioning and searching eventually led back to a conviction that Christianity provided the best explanation for reality, but the knowing didn't occur until after I had made a real commitment.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:44 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
For someone who isn't a Christian to question the Bible or the God of the Bible isn't foolish. It's part of a legitimate quest for truth.

For a Christian to try to convince someone such as yourself by using the Bible is foolish, for the reasons I stated.

This is why mature Christians understand that all the Great Commission from Jesus requires us to do is present the Gospel message. If and when the time is right for the hearer, God does the calling and the Holy Spirit does the convicting. Unless and until that occurs, the Bible and the Gospel message will seem to be foolishness.

Christians do anchor their claims in what they know. The problem is, this knowing occurs only after one has taken the leap of faith.

I did all sorts of questioning and searching, even after I was born again. God's call and convicting occurred before I even understood what was going on. The questioning and searching eventually led back to a conviction that Christianity provided the best explanation for reality, but the knowing didn't occur until after I had made a real commitment.
again, is the reason you can't convince because I am foolish? or the christian is foolish? Are you presenting what the holy spirit is actually saying?

then, what is really more important to me, is how we present the story to people that are learning. Do we offer everything we know in an an honest an open format to let them decide or do we close off some ideas to lead them [wherever]?

a guy dying and rising for our sins is not the best we can do. compassion, understanding, and forgiveness, is great stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality