Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 04:11 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Who will sit with me in the sacred circle of peace, harmony and understanding.
Among my culture we have a tradition that has existed for centuries.

Whenever we come together to discuss things of great importance it is always done within the sacred circle. Anyone is welcome to come and sit within the sacred circle and participate in the discussions, however all animosity, hatred and prejudice are left outside of the sacred circle, these things are not allowed within its confines and each individual who steps within the sacred circle is expected to help govern it and be responsible to see to it that peace, harmony, and understanding prevail within the sacred circle.

So now my brothers and sisters, I invite you to step within the sacred circle and tell us about your beliefs or non-beliefs without criticism or animosity to one another.

Remember, all are welcomed here who come with a good heart.

Asheville Native, I will bring up the very first post that started this thread and hopefully this will answer your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Question:

How does this (sacred circle) differ from the pentagrams or what ever that wiccan's draw on the floor, or any other geometric design used by any other belief system?

When one sits in the Hoop Of The People,(The Sacred Circle) one must be responsible because All of Creation is related. The hurt of one is a hurt of all. The honor of one is the honor of all. And whatever we do affects everything in the universe.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:20 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Asheville Native, I will bring up the very first post that started this thread and hopefully this will answer your question.
I read the first post, but I'm curious about the how/why is this different?

The circle sounds like rules I lay down for my grandsons when they are at each others throats "If you can't same something nice ..................."

Old 10-21-2009, 04:39 PM

I thank all of you for your kind words,thoughts, and prayers for the tragedy that has befallen my family, it is very comforting to know that you are here within the sacred circle and offer such support when needed. It will be a long while before my daughter and her husband will fully recover from this tragedy and it is possible that they never will but as time goes on the pain will become less and the memories more fonder and we will continue on our life's journey with those pleasant memories. Again I thank all of you and wish you all the happiest of days for the future.

I would like to add my thoughts and prayers to brother Goodpasture and his life partner for the loss of a deared loved one.

To Firstborn, my condolences on the loss of a dear mother-in-law, it is good to know that she did it the way she wanted it done.

This evening I sit in humble quietness and know that I do not sit alone, for I am in good company and it is comforting. osay

Old 10-21-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I read the first post, but I'm curious about the how/why is this different?

The circle sounds like rules I lay down for my grandsons when they are at each others throats "If you can't same something nice ..................."

The sacred circle was started as a place of peace and tolerance of all beliefs or non-beliefs, no one here will criticize or judge you because of your belief or nonbelief, you see is the belief of all Native Americans is that we are all the same, regardless of our skin color, our language, or our beliefs, we are all children of the same Creator by whatever name you wish to call him/her, the main thing here is respect for one another and with that is the beginning of tolerance and then the beginning of understanding.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Ashville Native, perhaps I can shed some insight.

Pentagrams, pentangles, the ankh, crosses, etc are all religion specific. They are all designed to achieve communication or awareness of a god or gods....your focus is on your deity (or lack of one).

When you join a circle such as this you are not directing your focus upon the creator, although the creator may, and should, influence what you share. But you are responsible for the civility and peace of the circle. We come together with respect for each others journey, knowing we can learn from each other, without the need or desire to impose our particular faith (or lack of faith) on others.

In a circle, there is no"head" like there is when you have a pulpit or a chairman or leader. In a circle there is no leader or head of the table. All are equal. All are given respect. All are listened to. Although this is a native american tradition......our council fires were such circles, it can be found in Celtic traditions as well......even King Arthur had a round table where all knights were the equal, the peer, of each of the others. It has no religious symbolism except you should leave your ego at the door and, like my grandmother used to tell us, we have two ears and one mouth that we might listen twice as much as we speak.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,621,016 times
Quote:
Question:

How does this (sacred circle) differ from the pentagrams or what ever that wiccan's draw on the floor, or any other geometric design used by any other belief system?
A strange question but ... I guess the difference may be that... we are a circle of humans? As opposed to just geometric designs? And we are not adhering to any creed except to come with a good heart? Is that different? (I really don't know why THEY sit down together)

Strange question but - all are welcome who come with a good heart....

Quote:
Right!!! So, can you take your own advice here? If so - *sings old 50's song* "Come right in, sit right down..."

Last edited by firstborn888; 10-22-2009 at 10:27 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 01:35 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,893,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
In a circle, there is no"head" like there is when you have a pulpit or a chairman or leader. In a circle there is no leader or head of the table. All are equal. All are given respect. All are listened to. Although this is a native american tradition......our council fires were such circles, it can be found in Celtic traditions as well......even King Arthur had a round table where all knights were the equal, the peer, of each of the others. It has no religious symbolism except you should leave your ego at the door and, like my grandmother used to tell us, we have two ears and one mouth that we might listen twice as much as we speak.
You neglected to mention one important aspect:

Circles are never-ending.

Personally, I see no difference between a circle, pentgram (which, in point of fact, is a star within a circle) or any other way of bringing people together, equally and without rancor.

I feel that the world needs more circles like this one. Might do some good in the global community. Oh, and Ashville -- we (Wiccans) don't generally draw a pentagram on the floor. It's usually a circle, just like this one, and it's intended to retain our energies in one single place.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:30 AM

444 posts, read 1,212,339 times
Hello friends, I join you this morning with tears in my eyes and a sullen heart for your losses. I came to tell you that even when I am not in here on the forum, I am still here in spirit and soul, and I just wanted to tell you all that I do love you, and I respect you. We must share, if we do not know sorrow, we do not know joy, it is a never ending circle.
Blessings Aye
k

Old 10-23-2009, 05:59 AM

444 posts, read 1,212,339 times

YouTube - You Move Me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality