Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 02:39 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Hey, that's neat. Is that the same Sequoia who wrote the Cherokee alphabet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUddPFYa_0E

yes it is, his English name was George Gist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 02:49 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times
[quote=pinacled;36391293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It's good medicine.
From what I recall of Turtle, (Keya in Lakotah) He is an important part in the current creation of the earth. This being the second creation, the first having been destroyed because the people became evil.

I also notice among several tribes that North America is called "Turtle Island"

I been looking at my ancestors the "Lietuva Lipkas" and find no reference to Turtles in the ancient stories. But then again I doubt there were any turtles in Northern Mongolia, The Steppes of Russia and in the Grand Duchy of Poland.Lithuania. Although there is a word for turtle (Chetapokus) in my People's language

Old 09-06-2014, 03:00 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
[quote=Woodrow LI;36391483]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post

From what I recall of Turtle, (Keya in Lakotah) He is an important part in the current creation of the earth. This being the second creation, the first having been destroyed because the people became evil.

I also notice among several tribes that North America is called "Turtle Island"

I been looking at my ancestors the "Lietuva Lipkas" and find no reference to Turtles in the ancient stories. But then again I doubt there were any turtles in Northern Mongolia, The Steppes of Russia and in the Grand Duchy of Poland.Lithuania. Although there is a word for turtle (Chetapokus) in my People's language

and you have learned much over the years my brother... that is good

Old 09-06-2014, 03:51 PM

[quote=ptsum;36391603]
Quote:

and you have learned much over the years my brother... that is good

The best handshake among people, is that which shares knowledge of each other. When we step into another man's house. it is best to understand the words he speaks.

We can not know another person until we can feel his past. to do so requires we learn the ways of others. Learning and respecting another person's ways does not require oiving them or even agreeing with them. Friendship will survive sincere disagreements. We are all individuals and we all have many differences, but part of enjoying and learning is by valuing the differences.

I do my best to learn from all people that step inside this circle.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:04 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,811,862 times
And while I stood there I saw more than I can tell and understood more than I saw; for I was seeing in a sacred manner the shapes of all things in the spirit, and the shape of all shapes as they must live together like one being. And I saw that the sacred hoop of my people was one of many hoops that made one circle, wide as daylight and as starlight, and in the center grew one mighty flowering tree to shelter all the children of one mother and one father. And I saw that it was holy.
Black Elk,

Old 09-06-2014, 04:05 PM

The turtle comes from the story of the flood.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
And while I stood there I saw more than I can tell and understood more than I saw; for I was seeing in a sacred manner the shapes of all things in the spirit, and the shape of all shapes as they must live together like one being. And I saw that the sacred hoop of my people was one of many hoops that made one circle, wide as daylight and as starlight, and in the center grew one mighty flowering tree to shelter all the children of one mother and one father. And I saw that it was holy.
Black Elk,
Up here Black Elk is deeply remembered by the Oglala Lakotah and even some of the Wasicu. The VA Clinic I go to has a picture of him along with other Chiefs

Black Elk was a great and wise leader. sadly he was nearly blind in his old age, but his words remained strong.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:49 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Quote:
The best handshake among people, is that which..............
I had to laugh at this......it reminded me of Asa Carter's explanation of the handshake in his book "The Education of Little Tree".......

When the People would meet other People, they would raise their hand to show there was no weapon in it and that the person is peaceful. Much the same thing was meant when the European's would offer their hand....open and weapon free. Except the European was known to be deceitful so when the hand was offered in peace it became common to shake it to see if a weapon would fall out of the hiding place in the sleeve......

Old 09-06-2014, 04:54 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
I also know little of Turtle. That Turtle is the foundation of the land is held among many people in America, particularly in the northeast I believe, but I don't know why or really anything more, I also would be interested in learning.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Up here Black Elk is deeply remembered by the Oglala Lakotah and even some of the Wasicu. The VA Clinic I go to has a picture of him along with other Chiefs

Black Elk was a great and wise leader. sadly he was nearly blind in his old age, but his words remained strong.
Hooah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality