Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 07:26 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,623,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by impplant View Post
Thank you, Impplant! I'll be looking at it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 02:42 AM

414 posts, read 777,235 times
Default Song and Dance

Good Morning to you all!
Redbird, I've gone deep into SILENCE commonly experienced only as a void, empty and hollow. Eyes blinded by human cruelties and left to utter tears ... This kind of suffering must must must STOP! Dunno whether I can bear the full length of this movie. May your gentle KISS be rewarded with a passed-on silver EARRING (with a beautiful clear pink stone), while I gladly have Great Spirit taking over the steering wheel (and challenging my driver's licence).
And thanks again for speaking this filigrane and sterling (though always "angelic") language "my" culture and upbringing have rather shunned instead of appreciated. Earth-based religion - the other day, a gray Squirrel was just running down the road, and I was privileged to be re-minded ...
Love to all!

Old 09-09-2008, 04:56 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,621,016 times
Part 1

YouTube - Koyaanisqatsi (part 1) - Spotlight on unusual film
Part 2

YouTube - Koyaanisqatsi (part 2 spoiler) - Spotlight on unusual film

Old 09-09-2008, 06:05 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Good morning Impplant and others! Impplant, you have a way with words. Silence has always been revered by those seeking wisdom and understanding. It reminds me of the dedication of some in monastery's around the world such as
YouTube - Official Into Great Silence US Trailer which is another good film.

And its not easy to silence the most "noise-polluted" place on earth, the mind!

Yet, it is necessary for me, to take a few moments, and steal away some quiet time with mother nature on a daily basis. I prefer nights after the sun has set, or early mornings when the world is waking up.

Those images of New York on that film Koyaaniqatsi are quite disturbing (to me). So many people rushing rushing, and so caught up in the modern life. Still... if it makes them happy, then that is good. But I know a person can be terribly lonely in a crowded city just as easily as anyplace else.

My sacred circle is resilient and I have learned to keep quiet about it. I suppose that is the major difference between my own version of Native beliefs and organized religions. There is no proselytizing.

Maybe that is one reason I have always liked hearing of other cultures and other beliefs. I do not perceive them as "wrong" or mine as "right". That would be defeatist on several planes, don't you think?

Strange thing, I watched the trailers for Koyaanisqatsi and I didn't remember ONE SINGLE SCENE! I only remembered the nature scenes and then the scenes showing the narcissistic runway models. Funny what the mind keeps.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:35 AM

414 posts, read 777,235 times
Redbird, thanks - you too. Saw the Great Silence on TV a few months ago.
I've heard and read alot about silencing the mind and this being an art and a monastic tradition, etc. Most mornings, my "choice" chore has turned out to be cleaning the "Augean Stables" (call it a heritage) and bridging gaps, which I call translations. Until there only is, and all there is is beautiful, gentle, meant to be complement+compliment ... the joy promised to all of goodwill. Respect .... not wanting to step on others' toes.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:02 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Osayo, good afternoon my brothers and sisters, my journey has now come full circle and I have returned with some of my native soil which was one of the reasons for my journey, I come back refreshed in body and spirit and it is good to be back in the foothills, back with all the peace and quiet and serenity of these majestic mountains and the ancient trees. I see that an interesting subject has come up, something about world suffering, first let me say that suffering on an individual basis is useful and it is of our own doings but it's something that we must do in order for us to learn and grow, we must learn to suffer just as we learn sorrow, joy, happiness, disappointment, and love, and all the other different emotions, it is something that we must do, however I do not believe there is such a thing as "world suffering " in order for that to happen the entire population of Mother Earth would have to suffer and I do not think our Creator would allow such a thing to happen. Just my opinion on the subject.
redbird, my brother in spirit, I looked at that short film that you posted and I was saddened by what I saw, it seemed to me that people running around going nowhere, doing nothing except what they were programmed to do, it is very sad to see that, we are not meant to be like that, and I saw no happiness.
impplant, my sister, there is great wisdom in your words, and much can be learned from silence, to sit and listen and learn is a great challenge to all of us, my grandfather always told me, one cannot learn if one talks too much and does not listen.
firstborn, my brother, it is always good to bring another perspective, to look at things from a different way and it is good to have you do just that, we all learned from that.
masonsdaughter, my sister, it is always good to have your input and your thoughts, I'm always interested in what you are saying, as with everyone else, there is a great deal of insight and wisdom in your words and it is good that you are here to learn also, as are we all.
CelticLady, my Celtic sister, it is indeed always good to hear your words and your wisdom and knowledge of one of the ancient Earth-based cultures. There are a lot of similarities in both our cultures, and that's good.
moonsavvy, my sister from the land of the aborigine, always good to have you here, I see you have brought up the four toltec prophecies and it may be interesting to see how it goes with the end of the fifth cycle of the Mayan calendar, interesting to see what changes lie ahead.

I find it very interesting that we can all sit here and be from various different cultures and religions and share the knowledge that we have and learn from one another in a peaceful and harmonious way, this is the way it should be. osay

Old 09-09-2008, 04:57 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Hello ptsum and welcome back from your journey. I am happy you returned safely.

This discussion came from a DM I received and I referred him to you. I think the person asked some good questions, and they are not purely academic, because I think we can all relate to suffering, but the question was, How do earth-based beliefs explain world suffering.

To change the subject, can I hear from others what animal spirits they have an affinity for and why?

I have always liked to refer to the dragonfly as my elder brother. Because they have been found in the fossils and have been on this earth for a very long time.

I like the jaguar for it is a powerful warrior spirit.

Does anyone else want to come forward and share their animal friends and why they like them?

We have always looked to mother nature for our teachings and animals have always played a part in our legends. Hope to hear more from around the sacred circle.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
...Silence has always been revered by those seeking wisdom and understanding.

Yet, it is necessary for me, to take a few moments, and steal away some quiet time with mother nature on a daily basis. I prefer nights after the sun has set, or early mornings when the world is waking up.

Those images of New York on that film Koyaaniqatsi are quite disturbing (to me). So many people rushing rushing, and so caught up in the modern life. Still... if it makes them happy, then that is good. But I know a person can be terribly lonely in a crowded city just as easily as anyplace else.
I know I prefer the late nights and early mornings, before things start getting too noisy. Late at night, I go out to see my mini horse, give him a treat, and just sit, and look at the stars. It's very peaceful, and relatively quiet. Not as quiet as some places, but I have to take what I can get. I hope, someday, to be further out in the country, for even more quiet and solitude.

I watched the trailer that Impplant gave a link to, and it reminded me of the one time I was in New York, about ten years ago, (not by choice), for two solid weeks. Two very long, miserable weeks. I hated all the noise, traffic, buildings. Everything closed in around you. In all fairness, there were some people who seemed to be nice enough, but for the most part, these folks rushed about so much, it made me dizzy, and irritable, to be around them, (as I am around any crowd). I'm not real crazy about living in Northwest Florida, but I can tell you that when I came back home, and stepped off the plane, I seriously considered kissing the ground, I was so grateful to be out of that craziness. I know some folks like that kind of lifestyle, and I mean no disrespect to them, but they can have the cities. I can't think in that kind of atmosphere. It's much too chaotic, and nerve wracking. Give me the mountains, the desert, or even the beach, with as few people as possible.

It's not that I can't get along with folks, (though I'm really not a people person); but, I prefer my space. I'd rather be out in the woods, than in a mall, or some such thing, (shoot, we have three malls within a 35 mile radius, and I haven't been to any of them in over a year, and then only because my visiting daughter dragged me along!). I don't go into town unless it's necessary, (which, due to my husband's battle with cancer, has been much more frequent than either of us care for).

Oh, for that cabin in the woods. Someday...

Old 09-09-2008, 05:01 PM

Welcome back, Ptsum! We missed you! I'm glad your journey has given you fulfillment.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:16 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Hello ptsum and welcome back from your journey. I am happy you returned safely.

This discussion came from a DM I received and I referred him to you. I think the person asked some good questions, and they are not purely academic, because I think we can all relate to suffering, but the question was, How do earth-based beliefs explain world suffering.

To change the subject, can I hear from others what animal spirits they have an affinity for and why?

I have always liked to refer to the dragonfly as my elder brother. Because they have been found in the fossils and have been on this earth for a very long time.

I like the jaguar for it is a powerful warrior spirit.

Does anyone else want to come forward and share their animal friends and why they like them?

We have always looked to mother nature for our teachings and animals have always played a part in our legends. Hope to hear more from around the sacred circle.
redbird, I know of who you speak and I will be getting back to him very shortly on his request.
It's interesting that you talk about animal spirits,my Tsalagi name translated is Black Hawk and just recently I have started to construct an actual sacred circle on a flat spot on my property and the most unusual thing has been happening, it is being overseen by an albino redtail hawk, this hawk is just as white as new snow, I'm beginning to think it's the spirit of my great grandmother and she's making sure I do it right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality