Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 07:44 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
It seems that Advaita also recommends study of the scriptures and/or guidance from a teacher.
That seems to require a large measure of intelligence and ability to learn new languages to
avoid translation errors. Not to mention dedication and time. Maybe a great teacher could
overcome some of that.

yuppers ...

I would add "intentions". What goals does a person have in evaluating and unpacking anything like this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 08:05 AM

802 posts, read 983,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yuppers ...

I would add "intentions". What goals does a person have in evaluating and unpacking anything like this stuff.
...and sorting through the various commentaries and "schools".
yes, intention should be very important. But doesn't that imply desire?
Of course, everyone entering into this is coming from ordinary reality.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:19 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
yuppers ...

Intention and motivation are a crucial part of the realization of the self. In fact it is not even as much realization as it is removal of ignorance of the true reality. With effort and study this concept can be intellectually understood and embraced. But realizing the Oneness is cannot be achieved by effort, or any kind desire or motivation. It just happens, like the way when you find something you lost, you will instantly know. This is what the scriptures say.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
yes, "desires" can easily swapped in for me in this case.

The last line would have to be clarified.

Where I grew up, I didn't judge a guys behavior without considering the fact that they slept on the street because it was safer than going home. The only thing I judged them on is how they reacted when I said "no, I will stop you from hurting that lady for her money to eat."

Old 07-21-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Absolutely does. Action motivated by desire cannot result in Oneness. But understanding the concept does require study, dedication, and desire. Teacher is also very important but with technology the teacher can come to you. I have found several excellent sources in books, podcasts, and web.

I love reading the actual texts in Sanskrit, which also is a difficult language to teach yourself, because they have great beauty. The verses, always verses, are terse, with compressed meaning. There are commentaries on them which are also in Sanskrit verses. There great and not so great translations. So you do need a good teacher, in person or electronic, who can unpack the meaning and bring you step by step closer to the meaning.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:31 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Absolutely does. Action motivated by desire cannot result in Oneness. But understanding the concept does require study, dedication, and desire. Teacher is also very important but with technology the teacher can come to you. I have found several excellent sources in books, podcasts, and web.
This is an oxymoronic rationale and the fact you do not see it suggest your intellectual efforts are in vain. You should focus on the right brain discipline of meditation because your left brain efforts through the discipline of language are leading you astray. You need the direct contact with the Oneness that meditation can achieve if you wish to truly understand Oneness. You are wasting your time in left brain pursuits. They will only avail you once you have experienced the reality of a multitude in Oneness.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is an oxymoronic rationale and the fact you do not see it suggest your intellectual efforts are in vain. You should focus on the right brain discipline of meditation because your left brain efforts through the discipline of language are leading you astray. You need the direct contact with the Oneness that meditation can achieve if you wish to truly understand Oneness. You are wasting your time in left brain pursuits. They will only avail you once you have experienced the reality of a multitude in Oneness.
I kind of disagree with this. Motocross offered me the connection to the "oneness".

Old 07-21-2020, 09:48 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
I kind of disagree with this. Motocross offered me the connection to the "oneness".
I was addressing CB, not you Arach. You seem to have maintained an open mind despite your focus on the left brain disciplines of mathematics and language. Clearly you found something in the experience of Motocross that supports your open-mindedness or perhaps it is your experience with ant farms. In any case, it is the experiential that fosters the necessary open-mindedness to accept the Oneness of God.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I was addressing CB, not you Arach. You seem to have maintained an open mind despite your focus on the left brain disciplines of mathematics and language. Clearly you found something in the experience of Motocross that supports your open-mindedness or perhaps it is your experience with ant farms. In any case, it is the experiential that fosters the necessary open-mindedness to accept the Oneness of God.
yes, exactly. I think I misunderstanding your post as "only meditation" and not "meditation can connect us to the oneness for some people. Maybe try it."

lets look at how a left brain can look at this oneness ...

basically the left uses what we know to describe what we don't know.

Watching ants and thinking how does the periodic table describe how they behave is what made the connection I think.

also, thinking about a brain on a dimmer switch did it for me. dim the brain and then turn it back up. what does, or might, it experience? how does the pt explain it?

How does QED explain what many spiritual people are experiencing? is there any thing associated with it that matches what we see? did it for me. "theist are stupid and delusional does nothing for me."

If I say "science and engineering" give us the best chance of understanding god, what claims can we make that follow the guide lines of science engineering? what set of descriptors define our reality the best? anti-god for social change is the best way to describe this oneness??

But you also know there are a few types of intellect. Some people can memorize lists really good but don't know the "what it means". They can list out everything we know and they won't ever be able to make a cell phone. They just can't see it.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Offered? Did you accept, did it come through?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality