Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2020, 10:29 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hi, Dunno how anyone would think it the way you said above - in each translation or version it's clear, ie-
John 16:12
''you can not bare them now..."
or
"you can not grasp them now..."

NKJV -“I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now."
RSV - “I have yet many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now."
NIV - “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear."
" I have much more to say to you, but right now it would be more than you could understand."
- Contemp Eng Version

As I said - it is maybe THE most intriguing sentence...to me.
What a thing to sit with and contemplate!! And I have!

Imagine in the future, 1000 yrs, what people would think of - "Be cool...He was a cool dude.....chill out". Lol.
They are mystifying no doubt. In relation to this thread, as you see one, it seems to me that he did not see the qualities in his disciples to receive the knowledge he wanted them to have - Advaita, the divinity within them. The drama that way playing outside of this - the criminal proceedings and the execution - is unreality.
Miss H, what do you think of the Gnostic version of Jesus?

Old 09-07-2020, 10:30 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Participating in a forum for entertainment, information, or share thoughts is one thing. To believe one has a role here is comic, a mahatma-complex maybe? Never thought of it that way, but I can see clearly now.
Okay.

Some of us see it as a role (or purpose), you don't okay.

Okay. So what?

Old 09-07-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Okay.

Okay. So what?
I see it as comic and bizarre, my opinion. What specific role do you think you play and what is the purpose you fulfill? Do share..

Old 09-07-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I see it as comic and bizarre, my opinion. What specific role do you think you play and what is the purpose you fulfill? Do share..
You're often a good poster, but sometimes you resort to being snide. I don't see the need to answer snide questions.

I've stated my purpose here more than once.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
You're often a good poster, but sometimes you resort to being snide. I don't see the need to answer snide questions.

I've stated my purpose here more than once.
I must not have seen it.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Okay.

Okay. So what?
So what indeed. If he wants to laugh at how we see ourselves here (as though he wasn't doing the same thing) let him and see how much good it does him. Other than make him look a mocker rather than up for serious discussion - except for those people who would not challenge his beliefs.

(I say 'he' as a default. As is so often the case with Theists of various stripe, the 'about me' is blocked.)

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-07-2020 at 11:21 AM..

Old 09-07-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I must not have seen it.
I'll tackle this in a vague way.

I have sitting on my desk a little yellow pad on which I write down things I want to do, as they occur to me. And when I have a little down time, I'll look at that list and say, "Oh, I could start that now". You played a role in that a couple of days ago because of our exchange up in the Buddhist subforum. On my little list is a note: "Light reading -- Hinduism".

Let's broaden it out a bit...and I have mentioned this a number of times. I guess it was around 3 years ago when something happened in my life that resulted in me firmly being an atheist (after having been a methodist, a catholic, a christian-Buddhist, and a current Buddhist-atheist. It was fairly soon after that happened that I found this forum. There's hardly a day that in participating in this forum that I haven't found myself thinking, "Gee, I never thought of that", or "Wow, that's something I didn't know". Other posters play a role in my thinking.

When I came here, however, in terms of being an atheist, I was pretty much a blank slate. It wasn't something I had ever thought much about. You would have thought that the atheist posters on the this site would have influenced my continuing journey the most. Not true. Christian posters have influenced me the most...except not in the way they think they are. There are a number of christian posters here who, with almost every post, put another weight over on the atheist side of the scales. It is some christian posters who have made me feel the most disdain for christianity. That's the role they have played here. Fortunately, there are a few christian posters here whom I have a lot of respect for, and they have contributed to somewhat of a sense of balance on the topic...reminding me that, as with almost any group, there's a spectrum of believers out there, some of whom are very reasonable people. They have played a moderating role.

What we say and do on a daily basis is often part of a role we play, whether we think about that, or not. And sometimes -- such as here on this forum -- I have a goal...a role.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
So what indeed. If he wants to laugh at how we see ourselves here (as though he wasn't doing the same thing) let him and see how much good it does him. Other than make him look a mocker rather than up for serious discussion - except for those people who would not challenge his beliefs.

(I say 'he' as a default. As is so often the case with Theists of various stripe, the 'about me' is blocked.)
I see myself as someone with time on my hands, and CD as an information exchange forum. I ask questions, i answer if I know, i ask for opinions, offer opinions, all of these on a variety of topics from African Safari to how to waste time.
I am VERY curious as to the roles that you and others like you, the pronoun we, think you play. Mine is to loiter, i guess.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I'll tackle this in a vague way.

I have sitting on my desk a little yellow pad on which I write down things I want to do, as they occur to me. And when I have a little down time, I'll look at that list and say, "Oh, I could start that now". You played a role in that a couple of days ago because of our exchange up in the Buddhist subforum. On my little list is a note: "Light reading -- Hinduism".

Let's broaden it out a bit...and I have mentioned this a number of times. I guess it was around 3 years ago when something happened in my life that resulted in me firmly being an atheist (after having been a methodist, a catholic, a christian-Buddhist, and a current Buddhist-atheist. It was fairly soon after that happened that I found this forum. There's hardly a day that in participating in this forum that I haven't found myself thinking, "Gee, I never thought of that", or "Wow, that's something I didn't know". Other posters play a role in my thinking.

When I came here, however, in terms of being an atheist, I was pretty much a blank slate. It wasn't something I had ever thought much about. You would have thought that the atheist posters on the this site would have influenced my continuing journey the most. Not true. Christian posters have influenced me the most...except not in the way they think they are. There are a number of christian posters here who, with almost every post, put another weight over on the atheist side of the scales. It is some christian posters who have made me feel the most disdain for christianity. That's the role they have played here. Fortunately, there are a few christian posters here whom I have a lot of respect for, and they have contributed to somewhat of a sense of balance on the topic...reminding me that, as with almost any group, there's a spectrum of believers out there, some of whom are very reasonable people. They have played a moderating role.

What we say and do on a daily basis is often part of a role we play, whether we think about that, or not. And sometimes -- such as here on this forum -- I have a goal...a role.
You are attributing these roles to various people, do you realize that? They may not even know they are playing any role, like me. It is in YOUR mind.
The disdain you have for Christianity may not be the christians. It may be whatever it is that draws you to the Christian forum and their posts in-spite of the fact that it disturbs you so much.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
You are attributing these roles to various people, do you realize that? They may not even know they are playing any role, like me. It is in YOUR mind.
The disdain you have for Christianity may not be the christians. It may be whatever it is that draws you to the Christian forum and their posts in-spite of the fact that it disturbs you so much.
Cb, you have every right to your opinion on this and other topics.

I have no desire to argue to debate this topic.

I explained the way I see. You've explained the way you see it.

Fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality