Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2020, 12:20 PM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
I was speaking of the laws Harry, can you prove the laws are material.
Laws are man made descriptions of natural forces. Gravity, pressure, etc. You appear to be confusing laws and what they describe.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:25 PM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
They deny it, but their actions belie their denials, pneuma. They seem to have a specific agenda to misrepresent theists as much as possible to disparage and denigrate their views. Also, they keep peddling their pet atheist theories in every thread.
An irrelevant post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
What arrangement did you and Harry make?
To deal with the posts and no personal attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
I'm open to trying it.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:55 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, for over 2000 years, the science has always been natural forces, never a god did it.
You are defining science too broadly using the Greek philosophers. The beginnings of modern science date much later beginning in the 1500's with Galileo. Prior to that time, God was the "natural" force that was being investigated by burgeoning science. For untold millennia prior to the Greeks, God was the ONLY "natural" force.

Old 11-07-2020, 01:52 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
and if information, which is immaterial, creates complex information, which produces life where did the information come from? Information as well as the laws that govern the universe are immaterial yet we see how that which is immaterial causes effects in the universe.

Sorry Harry but I am dammed if I do and dammed if I don't. When I just tell people what someone says I am accused of taking things out of context or getting my information only from Christian sites so I started posting the links or videos to where the info can be found and now I am being asked not to.

So what's a guy to do? continue to be misrepresented by some or post the links and videos, which not only shows where I get my info but also show others how I am being misrepresented by some on this forum.
You are up against it. Definitely something, but we just don't have the data to say what it is so there is no real.

We really need to know the machine langue in brain cells. That will give us a clearer understanding.

The good thing, its looking more and more like "alive" is going to be the understanding. The upper echelon kind of see it, if you listen to them. Its just that "made like we make a car", doesn't seem to fit.

Old 11-07-2020, 02:34 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
You are defining science too broadly using the Greek philosophers. The beginnings of modern science date much later beginning in the 1500's with Galileo. Prior to that time, God was the "natural" force that was being investigated by burgeoning science. For untold millennia prior to the Greeks, God was the ONLY "natural" force.
Yes. Perhaps, man realized he did not create life. He could procreate and perform hybridization (mules), but he could not recreate the irreducible. Man probably quickly realized he did not have to recreate reality everyday; it was somehow done for him etc.

Old 11-07-2020, 03:48 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quit likely that's how it was. He couldn't explain why - not then - and so invented a huge invisible human that did it.

That his conclusion is understandable does not make it plausible.

Old 11-08-2020, 05:15 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
more than that ... who cares what they taught back then.

what do we see today that fits observations.

It is reasonable to say that the earth is a less complex region in a more complex system. Then we can start looking at what that means.

It is also reasonable to say, based on our location and what we see, that life on earth came from little less complex pieces pieces of earth interacting to form more complex things. "Things" we classy as "life" based on their properties I might add.

I lean toward the first just because when zooming in to spacetime and zooming out to the cosmic web, it just matches better. But I can understand people forming a belief off of the second notion.

then, how do both (I use both just because of the scientific method and not faith) influence a statement of belief about god.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:52 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Again, the immaterial comes from the material.

Due to corona, my wife is staying with my brother, so I have to work, cook, shop, clean, and look after my youngest daughter. So I do not have time to watch videos.
Don't think anyone really misses much we haven't already seen or heard from these videos, or should bother to see or hear generally speaking. I don't devote much time to them either...

Sorry to hear. Why or how does Corona have your wife staying with your brother? You have the virus?

Old 11-08-2020, 09:55 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Science is to God something like the rising tide is to the sandcastle.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quite so. The history of science, how the method was developed, how it was limited by what they could investigate, how methods were developed and questions resolved - is an interesting subject, but irrelevant to the reliability of science as evidenced through its' track record, that people (even science -skeptics) rely on it to work, every day, that no basic theory has been overturned (only added to) since Ptolemy (and even his Geocentric system was a great improvement over the bronze age snow -dome cosmos) and finally that those who want to dismiss the database of science in hopes to create gaps for God can confine themselves to Faith -claims and never cite science as support in their arguments, as they don't accept it, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.